do all Scottish, Irish and Welsh speak English?

Matt   Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
Can i just ask...
Why do most asians learn english?

Is it because they are envitably going overseas at some stage, or because they want to trade from their own country?

Does anyone know if there is any information on what type of person is learning english in Asia and why?

Might be interesting to know for the sake of the linguistic prognosis for the future...
Matt   Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
Can i just ask...

Is it because they are envitably going overseas at some stage, or because they want to trade from their own country?

Does anyone know if there is any information on what type of person is learning english in Asia and why?

Might be interesting to know for the sake of the linguistic prognosis for the future...
05LO   Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
"Can i just ask...

Is it because they are envitably going overseas at some stage, or because they want to trade from their own country?"

Because they identify it as a "key career enhancer."
Guest   Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
Native speakers of English (including Welsh and Scottish speakers):

Is it OK if an advanced foreign learner of English is able to pronounce dialectal sounds like the Welsh <LL> as Llandudno and Scottish <CH> in Loch Ness and Buchanan? Or should he pronounce such names in the same way as what most native speakers of American or Sothern British English do?
Damian in Scotland   Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
***Is it OK if an advanced foreign learner of English is able to pronounce dialectal sounds like the Welsh <LL> as Llandudno and Scottish <CH> in Loch Ness and Buchanan?***

Not if you intend to confine yourself to England only. But it would be a really nice gesture if you made the effort to master these Celtic sounds as best you can if you want to impress people in Wales and Scotland.

Actually the CH sound in Buchanan is not the same guttural sound as in Loch....it's the plain old K sound, but do try and make the U sound right - something approaching the same as the French equivalent, and not the English English "oo" sound. Eek!
Gael   Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 am GMT
Adam how do you know what language they`re speaking if you`ve left the shop?

To the lad who wanted to know how do say grandfather in Irish. If you want to call somebody Grandad in Irish it`s Daideo (Dadge-oh) seanathair is more formal.

I have something to add to the list of great british inventions....the concentration camp none of you mentioned it a couple of months ago.

(In case you`re wondering why I`m harking back it`s because I`m an eejit who just read twenty four pages of posts rather than go to sleep to be ready for work manana.)
Adam   Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
The Assyrians were the first people to use concentration camps.
John M.   Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:29 pm GMT
Where the Assyrians Pre-English? You seem to have a lot in common.
John M.   Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 pm GMT
Were, were, were,
Josh   Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:00 pm GMT
I'm a student in London at the moment. With regards with the welsh not. the after effects are still apparent in wales. due to the decline of people speaking welsh two generations ago partly because of children being forced in school to stop speaking the language, the majority of wales speak english, whereas before this happened the majority were welsh speaking. Welsh is now on the rise again. and I for one will learn my native tongue so that the majority of wales speak the language once more.
gael   Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
really Adam, when was that and on who? (not being smart)
18EI   Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
"really Adam, when was that and on who? (not being smart)"

Oh dear God, no.

Don't encourage him!
Gael   Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 pm GMT
Ah leave him alone
guest   Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:03 pm GMT
English is Anglo-Saxon (e.g. English: "house", German: "Haus") with a storng element of Latin (words that end with -tion like "nation"). This is what I know from school. Surely there must be also a strong element of celtic languages. Can anybody give some examples. (I know in Scottish English they "a wee" = (a bit, a little) or "driech"=(terrible weather etc.) Any other examples?
Celt   Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:06 pm GMT
>> Surely there must be also a strong element of celtic languages [in English] <<

Actually, no there isn't. One of the only words borrowed from the Celtic languages is "Welsh", which means foreigner, and it's derivative to welch and Welcher, one who "cheats by failing to pay a debt" or "one who goes back on ones word" or "one who is dishonest".