Portuguese only spoken in Portugal?

Ren   Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm GMT
lol...Spics are meant to dirty spanish people. Obviously not me as I speak Portuguese, the language you hate. So call us something else please. Such as bacalhau eater..I LOVE bacalhau!
Franco   Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 pm GMT
In USA you are a spic because you are from Latin America and Brazilian sounds like a dialect of Spanish. Americans can't distinguish both. Not to mention that you may be a pardo so your skin color automatically classifies you.
Ren   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 pm GMT
No I am not. I am half american, and I KNOW I am not a spic. You spic
Ren   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 pm GMT
If the skin color qualified people as spics, italians and many italians there would be called that as well. So no, you must be hispanic and have that horrible spanish accent. Sorry Franco
Franco   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm GMT
Italians may not be the whitest people on Earth but compared to the Brazilians they are very white. You are not white, so you can call yourself the way you want: Brazilian, moneky , spic, pardo, brown race, etc. It is the same, the important thing is genes as I said many times and Brazil is an atrocious mixture of races . Languages are not that relevant really but this is a language forum so people will not recognize it. It is funny to see how people make of language the main element of their identity. If I spoke English natively I would feel closer to a German than to an English speaking nigger.
Penetra   Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 am GMT
Franco is right (for once!), Brazilians are spics too, for two good reasons: one, to a biggoted American (the sort who uses the word "spic") there is no nuance to tell a mixed-race Venezuelan from a similarly mixed-race Brazilian; and secondly, the typical Brazilian accent will indeed confuse "beach" and "bitch", "sheet" and "shit", just like a regular spic would.
If my knowledge of derisive terms serves me, a Spaniard would be, like an Italian, a wop or a dago, not a spic or a wetback like us regular Latin Americans.
Ren, if you're really half-American (as in, one of your parents is American), you certainly haven't learned a lot of English from your Gringo half. Please be kind to post a clip of you speaking English, so we can delight hearing your thick accent and questionable grammar.
Franco   Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 pm GMT
Thanks for recognising I was right, Penetra. I started to believe some people like to say I'm wrong all the time only to annoy me. It amuses me how Ren says he has American relatives. Maybe he pretends to impress us and make us believe he is not a typical Brazilian. Typical way of thinking of a person living in a third world country of Latin America (kinda redundancy).
Guest.   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm GMT
"the typical Brazilian accent will indeed confuse "beach" and "bitch", "sheet" and "shit", just like a regular spic would. "

Bullshit. Americans and indians have the same phonology and make the same mistakes speaking portuguese(like aproximant r,double vowels)so we can say they sounds the same?
Americans and indians are indeed closer than spanish/portuguese, because port/span pitch/stress/intonation/phonology are quite differents between themselves.

U as a brazilian can say if someone is russian or polish or german or anything else only hearing them speaking?
No, u can say if he is spanish,english,french because u are used to phonology, pitch,rhythm not only peace/piss beach/bitch etc.
Franco   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 pm GMT
Americans don't speak Portuguese. Only the Portuguese do.
Paulista   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm GMT
Franco,ele estava se referindo a um americano falando português,não necessariamente como idioma nativo.

Como todos estão nervosos, primeiramente desculpe-me pelos argumentos.
Mas eu acho engraçado quando alguém diz que não consegue distinguir o sotaque espanhol do português.Eu não vejo por onde.É quase como dizer para um inglês que o inglês soa como chinês ou árabe.
Tudo o que eu preciso para dizer se alguém é espanhol ou não é apenas uma palavra.
Mesmo que as palavras seja muito iguais nos dois idiomas elas sempre são pronunciadas distintamentes.
Sempre tem um "tch" ou um "dj" ou um "ã/~ĩ/~u/õ" mas isso é besteira.
Por exemplo,dificilmente vemos uma palavra com a mesma fonologia como aqui/aquí,ainda que eu consiga distingui-las.
Eu acho que a principal diferença entre os dois é o ritmo e o tom de voz.

Sem querer ofender, mas quando dizem que soam o mesmo eu me sinto ofendido.É porque o sotaque espanhol de qualquer região me soa muito exagerado e estúpido.Eu costumo assistir alguns canais em espanhol e não entendo porque eles falam daquele jeito.

Sem nenhuma pretensão,eu digo que sinto-me muito mais perto,por exemplo,do português de angola do que qualquer versão do espanhol. Se um angolano falasse poucas palavras sem nenhum modismo seria muito difícil para mim distingui-lo de um brasileiro padrão.
E eu estaria em maus lençóis se uma pessoa culta me falasse algo e eu precisasse dizer de que região do brasil ela é somente a ouvindo,a não ser que ela falasse aquele sotaque exagerado que nos é exposta na mídia e quase ninguém fala. Falo isso porque já estive em goiás, rio de janeiro,minas, ceará e bahia e a maioria delas falam muito parecidas na minha opinião.(os cariocas não falam mulheresh,os paulistas não falam meeu,os baianos não falam oxente painho ...)

Da mesma forma, não consigo distinguir uma pessoa de quebec/frança, estados unidos/inglaterra ou espanha/argentina/peru e por aí vai.

Mas essa é somente minha opinião.
Franco   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 pm GMT
You said "Americans speaking Portuguese" like if Portuguese spoken by an American was a frequent thing. Yes I knew you didn't refer y to Americans whose native language is Portuguese but Americans who speak Portuguese as a second language are very rare too. Portuguese is studied virtually nowhere.
Ren   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 pm GMT
You are all full of shit. I lived in the US 16 years. And Brazilians are not called spics.
Marisa Monte Blanc   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm GMT
chega em minha casa e devora eu
beija eu...
FrancoMono   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 pm GMT
Franco, You are the dumbest hispanic monkey that i have ever seen.

Hispanics and brazilians do not pronounce the english language in the same way only because the pronunciation of i in 'bitch' does not exists in portuguese and spanish.
It is the same in italian,french and japanese, AT LEAST. Chicano.
This is not a peculiarity of only these two languages.

Beach/Bitch
http://www.forum-auto.com/les-clubs/section7/sujet390550.htm

Vato, you wont sound french if you pronounce french properly, only.
Do you think that if you speak "arigato" i wont know that u are a stupid spaniard and not a japanese? Look, this word is easy,the same phonemes do not exist in Spanish?Why is it?
Because there is also pitch, stress,loudness,vowel reduction,intonation. or else,the prosody. You got it, spic Baboon?
JGreco   Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm GMT
I am an American of Brazilian American(Germanic)/Portuguese/Portuguese descent and I can tell you that the majority of Americans view anybody South of the border as nothing but a bunch of Mexicans. I agree with both Franco and Penetra, but still saddened that this still exists in the United States. My fathers White American relatives get pissed off when I don't typically acknowledge any White racial heritage because here in the states, what you see on the surface is what you are. They say I deny a side, but I deny because most people would laugh in your face when you acknowledge that your half white to American standards. My grandmother especially gets upset and thinks that I deny her existence when I don't mention that side when I meet new people. It is only when they here my name that they ask "oh your half white...well why didn't you tell me" like it is really that important. But I typically get mistaken for someone from Morocco, Turkey Lebanon, Porto Rico, etc... Surprisingly the only think I don't get is Mexican because of my height and reddish-brown hair (as if there not any white Mexicans that exist:0). I only typically tell people I am Brazilian-American and that finishes the conversation.