What language is easiest for Spanish Speakers to understand?

Dunga   Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:14 am GMT
''Brazilian Portuguese is no more nasal than Eu Portuguese''

Not correct

Braziliian Portuguese:

cama ['kãma] ''bed'' (ã = nasal a, a = normal a)

European Portuguese:

cama ['k@m@] ''bed'' (@= closed a, between schwa and closed [e], it sounds like closed ê to a Brazilian ear)

in every combination of sV+nC+V
(stressed vowel + nasal consonant + vowel)
stressed vowel is being very nasalized in Brazil:

stressed vowels in

banAna, elEna, mInas, dOna, Unhas
are all pronounced nasally in Brazil, but they are oral vowels in Portugal

In short, most oral vowels are nasalized in Brazil when they are stressed and followed (or sometimes even preceded) by M, N or NH.
Tiffany   Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:02 am GMT
JR, if you are curious -

alle - to the (feminine plural a + le). However, in this case "elezione" should be "elezioni" as the writer has been using plural articles and nouns. Otherwise it is "al'ultima elezione", which is singular.

oltre - beyond, in this case "more than 60%..."

reso - to render, in this context it means "made" - "Texas is made famous"

altri - other. "altri Stati del sud" - "other states of the South."

roccaforte - literally, "hard rock", ie. the English term stronghold. From "rocca" - rock and "forte" - hard or strong.
Gringo   Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:32 am GMT
ItaloBrazilian:

boy é a vóvózinha.

««[Brazilian Portuguese]

Eu quero assistir um jogo de futebol. »»

So "assistir" is a native Brazilian word???haha

It comes from Latin "assistere". In Portugal people also say "assistir".

Every São Paulo city speaker has obvious Italian intonation pattern:
''cê tá inteindendoooo?'', ''caaaaaaaaaasa''

Yes, make a fool of youself.

««And many speakers, even educated ones, don't use final -s because there is no final s in Italian plural: ''o imigrante'' (singular), ''os imigrante'' (plural) [similar to italian l'immigrante; gli immigranti)»»

And the African slaves had nothing to do with it? Probably they also had an Italian intonation.

Dunga:

««''Brazilian Portuguese is no more nasal than Eu Portuguese''

Not correct

Braziliian Portuguese:

cama ['kãma] ''bed'' (ã = nasal a, a = normal a) »»

««stressed vowel is being very nasalized in Brazil:»»

You are talking about one of the many regional accents in Brazil. Not everybody speaks like that. Expl: It is not used in São Paulo.

You talk as if there was one only accent in Brazil and you are not even giving the standard as an example or saying the region where those accents are used. 190 milion people speak all in the same way, that is a record.
Tomi   Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
Lorena, you make it sound as though a word like 'assistir' is totally unique in Brazilian usage and totally alien to Portuguese usage. This is simply not true. Often Americans will use certain words or expressions that are not used in Britain, but that doesn't mean that the 'Brits' don't understand them, or that they don't have equivalents.

Back to the Italian accent. I personally know Italians who have lived in Brazil for many years who still speak Brazilian Portuguese with an obvious Italian accent.

And 4 or 5 words which are not understood in a small paragraph does impair intelligibility. The paragraph given was not the best example, because I can provide other paragraphs where a Portuguese or Spanish speaker would only grasp 70% of the Italian content at best. On the other hand, written Spanish and Portuguese is always almost completely intelligible.
Tiffany   Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
Sorry for reading this post late

<<(Italian)
Voglio vedere un gioco di calcio

(Portuguese)
Quero ver um jogo de futebol

(Spanish)
Quiero ver un juego de futbol

>>

If we want to say "I want to watch a game of soccer/football", I think you would more likely say "Voglio guardare un gioco di calcio".
Tomi   Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
Thanks for that clarification Tiffany. It only reinforces the point that was made that much more. As such, the sentence in Italian 'Voglio guardare un gioco di calcio' is rendered that much less intelligible to Portuguese and Spanish speakers. Compare it to:

(Portuguese)
Quero ver um jogo de futebol

(Spanish)
Quiero ver un juego de futbol
Lolly   Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese:

Eu quero (queria) assistir um jogo (de futebol).

It's very weird for us to say just ''Quero''. It's possible, but not very common.
We normally use the pronoun, especially in speech ''Eu quero''.

I/you/he/we would like to see a soccer game:

Eu/você/ele/a gente gostaria de assistir um jogo de futebol.
Tomi   Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 am GMT
Okay fine....

Eu quero ver um jogo de futebol (Portuguese)

Yo quiero ver un juego de futebol (Spanish)

But the Italian version of this sentence would still be unintelligible to Spanish and Portuguese speakers unfamiliar with Italian.

'Voglio guardare un gioco di calcio' (Italian)
Kelly K   Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:17 am GMT
Guardar means ''to keep'' in Portuguese

''eu vou guardar [isso] para você'''

(I'm going to keep it for you)
JGreco   Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:00 am GMT
"Guardar means ''to keep'' in Portuguese

''eu vou guardar [isso] para você'''

(I'm going to keep it for you) "

Its the same in spanish.
Tiffany   Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:16 am GMT
Interesting. "To keep" in Italian is "tenere" - which sounds the same as "tener" meaning "to have" in Spanish and Portuguese.

En - "Keep it for me"
It - "Tienilo per me"
Gringo   Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:45 am GMT
««"Guardar means ''to keep'' in Portuguese. Its the same in spanish.»»

"guardar" also means " to look " in Portuguese, it comes from germanic "wardan", (to look). Only that it is not much used.
Gringo   Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:18 am GMT
"Only that it is not much used in that sense"
me   Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:58 am GMT
For the Portuguese speakers who don't speak Spanish can you understand this without cheating?

Me senté en la silla del balcón y traté de leer el periódico francés, y a mi sorpresa comprendí un poco del concepto del artículo que estaba leyendo. Era sobre un hombre que violó a una niña.
Mario   Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:58 am GMT
Me sentei ( sentei-me ) na cadeira do balcão e tratei de ler o jornal frances e por minha surpresa compreendi um pouco do conceito do artigo que estava lendo ( a ler ). Era sobre um homem que violou uma menina