The state of British English

Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:39 am GMT
"The metric system is simply a better system of units than imperial"

Is consistently based on decimal numbers. (metric)

It uses different number systems (base 3, 8, 12, 14 & 16). (imperial)

Works well with percentages Percentages difficult to work out
Able to deal with very large and very small quantities (using prefixes) (metric)

Small quantities handled with awkward fractions (imperial)

One sort of unit for weight :gram, kilogram, etc (metric)

Two systems of weight:avoirdupois pounds, ounces, etc
troy pounds, ounces, etc (imperial)

One system of volume:millilitre, litre, cubic metre (metric)

Two systems of volume: pints, quarts, gallons cubic inches, feet and yards (imperial)

Handles mechanical and electrical quantities (metric)

No electrical units. Mixing imperial mechanical units and metric electrical ones is messy (imperial)

Units are the same internationally (metric)

Some units differ between UK and US (imperial)

-different pints and gallons
-different tons
-different fluid and dry ounces

Simple calculations such as floor area, energy consumption and volumes are easy (metric)

Simple calculations such as floor area, energy consumption and volumes are needlessly complicated (imperial)
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:42 am GMT
To measure the above mentioned quantities in the English Imperial system, all the following units can occur:

1Length: inch, foot, yard, mile, fathom, rod, furlong, league, mil, pole, perch, hand, link, chain
2Area: square inch, square foot, square yard, acre, square mile, township, square fathom, square rod, square furlong, square league, square mil, square pole, square perch, square hand, square link, square chain
3Volume: gallon, liquid quart, dry quart, liquid pint, dry pint, fluid ounce, teaspoon, tablespoon, minim, fluid dram, gill, peck, bushel, cubic inch, cubic foot, cubic yard, cubic fathom, cubic rod, cubic furlong, cubic mile, cubic league, cubic mil, cubic pole, cubic perch, cubic hand, cubic link, cubic chain
4Mass: pound, apoth. pound, ounce, apoth. ounce, dram, apoth. dram, grain, spoth. scruple, pennyweight, short hundredweight, long hundredweight, short ton, long ton
5Force: pound, ton
6Pressure: pounds per square inch, pounds per square foot, pounds per square yard, pounds per acre, pounds per square mile, pounds per township, pounds per square fathom, pounds per square rod, pounds per square furlong, pounds per square league, pounds per square mil, pounds per square pole, pounds per square perch, pounds per square hand, pounds per square link, pounds per square chain, tons per square inch, tons per square foot, tons per square yard, tons per acre, tons per square mile, tons per township, tons per square fathom, tons per square rod, tons per square furlong, tons per square league, tons per square mil, tons per square pole, tons per square perch, tons per square hand, tons per square link, tons per square chain
7Energy: calorie, inch-pound, foot-pound, yard-pound, mile-pound, fathom-pound, rod-pound, furlong-pound, league-pound, mil-pound, pole-pound, perch-pound, hand-pound, link-pound, chain-pound, inch-ton, foot-ton, yard-ton, mile-ton, fathom-ton, rod-ton, furlong-ton, league-ton, mil-ton, pole-ton, perch-ton, hand-ton, link-ton, chain-ton
8Power: horsepower, inch-pound per second, foot-pound per second, yard-pound per second, mile-pound per second, fathom-pound per second, rod-pound per second, furlong-pound per second, league-pound per second, mil-pound per second, pole-pound per second, perch-pound per second, hand-pound per second, link-pound per second, chain-pound per second, inch-ton per second, foot-ton per second, yard-ton per second, mile-ton per second, fathom-ton per second, rod-ton per second, furlong-ton per second, league-ton per second, mil-ton per second, pole-ton per second, perch-ton per second, hand-ton per second, link-ton per second, chain-ton per second
9Temperature: degrees Fahrenheit

To measure the same range of the same quantities in the metric system, only the following units can occur:

1Length: meter
2Area: square meter (are)
3Volume: cubic meter (liter)
4Mass: gram (metric ton)
5Force: newton
6Pressure: pascal
7Energy: joule
8Power: watt
9Temperature: kelvin (degrees Celsius)
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:50 am GMT
Adam said:

"Metric is cumbersome and illogical."

" Imperial is better than metric, and us British need to stop the EU from shoving metric measurements down our throats."

Let us all just post a big L.O.L for Adam! ):-)
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:51 am GMT
Adam,

LOL!
Guest   Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm GMT
When I said "it's stupid" I mean't it's stupid have TWO systems of measures. The UK really is a wacky country if it can't make it's mind up which system to use once and for all ....when you think about it.

I go an fill up my car with petrol (gas for the benefit of our US friends) and I have to buy it by the litre. Currently about 90p a litre - yeah guys, fuel is mega expensive here :-( ...(mostly tax going to the UK government to squander but that's another story).

So it's litres.....gallons are history. But once I get back on the road I see the roadsigns telling me that Glasgow is 44 MILES away. A guide book I have says it's 70km! Crazy or what?

Litres...but miles. My dashboard tells me I'm about to set off a flash in those *@%!@# yellow speed cameras because I'm doing about 50 MILES an hour down the Maybury Road. Yet the other screen tells me that the outside temperature is +17C. One thing about that is that most people (except for old peaople) think Celsius for temps at least. Hey, I go into the pub and ask for a PINT of Tennents. I buy the petrol by the litre but beer by the pint.

The supermarkets sell everything by the gram or kg by law. Shylock would no longer be able to ask for his pound of flesh - more like "be nominated for an equal nought point four five three six of a kilo of your fair flesh".

The doctor measures my height in centimetres and weight in kilograms (as does the gym and anywhere else official) but if any of my mates asks me how tall and how heavy I am I have to answer in feet/inches and stones so that they know what I'm talking about.

All recipes seem to have two systems - the official ones are metric....grammes (but imperial ounces in brackets).

Why have the two systems still? It's weird....ADAM must realise that we have to have one or the other and that one just HAS to be metric...no half measures! LOL

I have an idea:

(a) All road signs converted to Kilometres so that we are in accord with the rest of Europe.

(b) We continue to drive on the LEFT but the rest of Europe has to switch over to the same side of the road so that they are in accord with the UK. Hee hee....couldn't resist that one! :-) Only jesting.

I read that the cost of switching over to the RIGHT hand side in the UK would be mega astronomical...perhaps more than the combined GDPs of the whole of Africa....the UK's roads are the most congested in Europe.

I'm looking forward to a litre or two tonight...ooops sorry....I mean pint or two..or three...or......
Damian in EH12   Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:19 pm GMT
Guest = Damian

oops.
ADAM   Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 pm GMT
I was drunk, don't take all i said seriously
Adam   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:33 pm GMT
"" Imperial is better than metric, and us British need to stop the EU from shoving metric measurements down our throats."

Let us all just post a big L.O.L for Adam! ):-) "

I don't know why you are laughing.

You obviously mustn't know that the "great and democratic" EU has prosecuted British shopkeepers who sell their goods in Imperial measurements.
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:38 pm GMT
LOL, you're trying to talk your way out again.Soon you'll stuck in your own words again and then you 'll disappear for a week or so and then post the same crap again.

You're pathatic.

And the EU has better things to to than listening to a few British shopkeepers who refuse adapt to modern times....
Adam   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:39 pm GMT
"Why have the two systems still? It's weird....ADAM must realise that we have to have one or the other and that one just HAS to be metric...no half measures! LOL "

Why does it HAVE to be metric? Imperial is better, as you would know if you read what I posted on the other page. And WHY do we have to have the same measurements that Continental Europe has? We aren't even a part of Continental Europe.

I would rather go to the post office and buy envelopes labelled "9 x 4 inches" rather than the clumsy "229 x 102 mm".

I would rather buy 4 ounces of butterscotch rather than "113 grams."

Metric is clumsy and uses too many large numbers.
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:40 pm GMT
Pathetic ,although you don't really deserve a correction...
Adam   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:40 pm GMT
"And the EU has better things to to than listening to a few British shopkeepers who refuse adapt to modern times.... "

Yeah, well, it SHOULD have better things to do, but obviously it doesn't.

Try googling "Metric martyr" and you read all about out metric martyr who was prosecuted by the EU for selling goods in Imperial.
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:41 pm GMT
To measure the above mentioned quantities in the English Imperial system, all the following units can occur:

1Length: inch, foot, yard, mile, fathom, rod, furlong, league, mil, pole, perch, hand, link, chain
2Area: square inch, square foot, square yard, acre, square mile, township, square fathom, square rod, square furlong, square league, square mil, square pole, square perch, square hand, square link, square chain
3Volume: gallon, liquid quart, dry quart, liquid pint, dry pint, fluid ounce, teaspoon, tablespoon, minim, fluid dram, gill, peck, bushel, cubic inch, cubic foot, cubic yard, cubic fathom, cubic rod, cubic furlong, cubic mile, cubic league, cubic mil, cubic pole, cubic perch, cubic hand, cubic link, cubic chain
4Mass: pound, apoth. pound, ounce, apoth. ounce, dram, apoth. dram, grain, spoth. scruple, pennyweight, short hundredweight, long hundredweight, short ton, long ton
5Force: pound, ton
6Pressure: pounds per square inch, pounds per square foot, pounds per square yard, pounds per acre, pounds per square mile, pounds per township, pounds per square fathom, pounds per square rod, pounds per square furlong, pounds per square league, pounds per square mil, pounds per square pole, pounds per square perch, pounds per square hand, pounds per square link, pounds per square chain, tons per square inch, tons per square foot, tons per square yard, tons per acre, tons per square mile, tons per township, tons per square fathom, tons per square rod, tons per square furlong, tons per square league, tons per square mil, tons per square pole, tons per square perch, tons per square hand, tons per square link, tons per square chain
7Energy: calorie, inch-pound, foot-pound, yard-pound, mile-pound, fathom-pound, rod-pound, furlong-pound, league-pound, mil-pound, pole-pound, perch-pound, hand-pound, link-pound, chain-pound, inch-ton, foot-ton, yard-ton, mile-ton, fathom-ton, rod-ton, furlong-ton, league-ton, mil-ton, pole-ton, perch-ton, hand-ton, link-ton, chain-ton
8Power: horsepower, inch-pound per second, foot-pound per second, yard-pound per second, mile-pound per second, fathom-pound per second, rod-pound per second, furlong-pound per second, league-pound per second, mil-pound per second, pole-pound per second, perch-pound per second, hand-pound per second, link-pound per second, chain-pound per second, inch-ton per second, foot-ton per second, yard-ton per second, mile-ton per second, fathom-ton per second, rod-ton per second, furlong-ton per second, league-ton per second, mil-ton per second, pole-ton per second, perch-ton per second, hand-ton per second, link-ton per second, chain-ton per second
9Temperature: degrees Fahrenheit

To measure the same range of the same quantities in the metric system, only the following units can occur:

1Length: meter
2Area: square meter (are)
3Volume: cubic meter (liter)
4Mass: gram (metric ton)
5Force: newton
6Pressure: pascal
7Energy: joule
8Power: watt
9Temperature: kelvin (degrees Celsius)
Adam   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:42 pm GMT
And I've said again - how is using Imperial not "adapting to modern times"?

NASA uses Imperial measurements, and it used Imperial to put Man on the Moon.

Space satellites are designed using metric measurements.

What's not "modern" about that?
Sander   Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:42 pm GMT
"The metric system is simply a better system of units than imperial"

Is consistently based on decimal numbers. (metric)

It uses different number systems (base 3, 8, 12, 14 & 16). (imperial)

Works well with percentages Percentages difficult to work out
Able to deal with very large and very small quantities (using prefixes) (metric)

Small quantities handled with awkward fractions (imperial)

One sort of unit for weight :gram, kilogram, etc (metric)

Two systems of weight:avoirdupois pounds, ounces, etc
troy pounds, ounces, etc (imperial)

One system of volume:millilitre, litre, cubic metre (metric)

Two systems of volume: pints, quarts, gallons cubic inches, feet and yards (imperial)

Handles mechanical and electrical quantities (metric)

No electrical units. Mixing imperial mechanical units and metric electrical ones is messy (imperial)

Units are the same internationally (metric)

Some units differ between UK and US (imperial)

-different pints and gallons
-different tons
-different fluid and dry ounces

Simple calculations such as floor area, energy consumption and volumes are easy (metric)

Simple calculations such as floor area, energy consumption and volumes are needlessly complicated (imperial)