Vive Le Quebec libre

Sébastien   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:05 pm GMT
"So I'm afraid that IF they get indepemndance which I doubt..."

Sander,

Let me remind you some facts about my country:

Québec was FORCIBLY incorporated into British North America following the defeat of the French garrison on the Plains of Abraham in 1759. The British conquerors, who had expelled and massacred the French-speaking population of Nova Scotia (the Acadians) some years earlier, subjugated the rest of New France through a deal with the Roman Catholic hierarchy. Centuries of dynastic and commercial warfare between France and England made anti-French chauvinism a defining feature of the consciousness of the English ruling class. Thus the true founders of the Anglo Canadian state poured into Ontario and the Maritimes with truly hardwired arrogance and bigotry toward the conquered French.

Nowadays, as a minority within Canada and more especially within a broader North American economic space, it is valid to argue that the French language and culture are constantly at risk here in Québec. The forces of globalization are imposing homogenization everywhere. We are all starting to dress, talk and act like each other with similar tastes and preoccupations. It is understandable that this is more threatening to 7 million French-Canadians surrounded by several hundred million English-speaking North Americans.

The only thing that really matters is that Québec is not an independent state, it is a province of a state in which Quebecers are a minority (despised by the english-speaking majority). Thus, Québec is not free, and needs to be liberated.
Oh, of course, this liberation must be effected through democracy. We are among democrats, after all. But here again, it is nations that are the key players. That is why Québec is not divisible, because it is made up of one nation, whereas Canada is divisible because it is made up of two nations. Canada is not a real country. On the contrary, an independent Québec would be a real country, made up of a single nation, and would thus be indivisible. This is the only thing that really matters. Being a Quebecer means more than just living within Québec's territory. Being a Quebecer means ceasing to be a Canadian in your head and in your heart.

Québec must be independent to realize its fundamental democratic interests. Nobody can oppose the Québec nation right to autodetemination and, believe me, many young quebecers are more ardent separatists than their parents even though they have no memory of the slights and discriminations that still animate the aging leadership of the separatist movement. Separatism has already taken place in their minds: they've already turned their backs on Canada.

In 1980, 40% voted for being a sovereign nation. Then, in 1995, 49,5% voted for being a sovereign nation. English Canada, that has always had a patronizing and scornful attitude towards Quebecers, now fears a third referendum (2010?) because they know it will be the good one for us.

Vive le Québec libre!

Oh, and yes Québec is a latin country since we speak french, a romance language, and most of our ancestors were french. Culturally speaking we are latins even if we are influenced by our english-speaking neighbors, of course. The mentality between the quebecers and the rest of Canada is still different.
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:08 pm GMT
=>Oh, and yes Québec is a latin country since we speak french, a romance language, and most of our ancestors were french. Culturally speaking we are latins even if we are influenced by our english-speaking neighbors, of course. The mentality between the quebecers and the rest of Canada is still different. <=

Quebec isn't a Latin country , it isn't even a country yet.
Sigma   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:09 pm GMT
Vive le Québec libre! >

!!Bien dicho Sébastien!!

!Viva el Québec libre!
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:10 pm GMT
=>Vive le Québec libre! !!Bien dicho Sébastien!! !Viva el Québec libre! <=

Sigma   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:12 pm GMT
Quebec isn't a Latin country , it isn't even a country yet>

Québec is a Latin country , they are already a nation inside a nation, and they will be free even you like it or not Dutchman
French   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 pm GMT
Vive le Québec libre
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 pm GMT
I don't care, Spanyard.
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:17 pm GMT
=>Vive le Québec libre<=

French, what exactly is your contribution to this forum?!
Sigma   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:20 pm GMT
* Spaniard with "i" and not Spaniard but Mexican, who cares anyway almost the same stuff (with execeptions of course).
nico   Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:02 pm GMT
I am afraid Sigma is right, Quebec is latin, when you speak a latin language, you think in a latin language.

If our quebecois friends want to be independant, they have the desire and they consider themselves as a nation.

VIVE LE QUEBEC LIBRE !!!
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:13 pm GMT
No no and again no!

Quebec is Canadian and the majority speaks French!

VIVE LA DÉCENCE HUMAINE !!!
Candy   Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 pm GMT
now fears a third referendum (2010?) because they know it will be the good one for us. >>
What on earth makes you think that English-speaking Canada 'fears' the independence of Quebec?? As far as I can tell, most of them would be overjoyed to get rid of you!
My Canadian partner (English-speaking from Ontario) tried to vote in the last referendum in favour of independence, but he wasn't allowed! Most of his family and friends share his opinion.

it is valid to argue that the French language and culture are constantly at risk here in Québec. The forces of globalization are imposing homogenization everywhere. We are all starting to dress, talk and act like each other with similar tastes and preoccupations.>>
Granted, but will independence make such a big difference to this? It's up to you to talk French, not English, and protect your language and culture if you feel they're under threat. Don't blame others for 'impoisng' their culture on you, blame yourselves for not standing up to it!!
nico   Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
"""Granted, but will independence make such a big difference to this?"""

Of course it does, just look at Spain.

"""It's up to you to talk French, not English, and protect your language and culture if you feel they're under threat."""

That's what they do every day.
greg   Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:28 pm GMT
Bravo Sébastien pour ta concision et tes convictions.

Sander : Sébastien a eu la grâce de t'expliquer des points omportants dans une langue qui n'est pas la sienne. J'espère que ça t'aidera à réviser tes vues erronées sur la viabilité du Québec. Le Québec est une ***NATION*** qui, abandonnée et combattue par tous, a su s'imposer et surmonter les épreuves une à une. Non seulement le Québec mérite d'être indépendant (et même s'il ne le méritait pas, il en aurait le droit), mais il est en outre un exemple pour tous. Je dis bien pour ***TOUS***.
Sander   Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:37 pm GMT
... ik heb geen idee wat je nou allemaal zegt. ;)