The relationships between the neo-Latin languages

Francophiliipe   Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:18 am GMT
"For other romance language speakers, listen to a Romanian radio online and tell us what it sounds like or whether you can understand what is being said."

Sounds very Latin to me Madina. Besides it's grammatical structure is the closest to Latin than any other Romance langauges to Latin.

Aside from Romania it is also spoken in Moldova. Romanian speaking people are remarkable that despite that they are sorrounded by people speaking unrelated languages, they were able to cling on to their linguistic and cultural heritage.
OldAvatar   Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:12 am GMT
@Francophiliipe

Romanian is, also, one of the official languages of Vojvodina region, in Serbia.
Francophilippe   Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:06 am GMT
I thought Hungarian because it's adjacent to Hungary.

You know Romanian is a charming language to me. It's so unique and and it has its own beauty.
OldAvatar   Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 am GMT
Hungarian is official too, if I'm not mistaken...
Guest   Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese has many Italian assimilations
due the Italian immigration. Brazil has 25 million Italian descendants.
The remaining Italian influence is noticeable to the naked eye:

* The use of ciao ("tchau" in Portuguese) as a 'goodbye' salutation (all of Brazil),
* The adoption of the pizza and pasta in the national cuisine (initially in the South and Southeast, now in all of Brazil),
* Wine production (in the South),
* A bunch of loan words (italianisms), such as ravióli, espaguete, macarrão, nhoque, pizza, lasanha, panetone, esquifoso, feltro, pivete, bisonho, cicerone, and many others.
* The softening of the Brazilian pronunciation (mostly Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul)
* The early introduction of more advanced low-scale farming techniques (Minas Gerais, São Paulo and the South).
Guest   Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
Spanish, Portuguese & Italian are the SAME Language, only a slightly bit of differences from spelling grammar & pronounciation, but they are the same: the people, their cultures, traditions, religions, heritages, etc. As for the French, Romanian, Catalonian, those are quite different when compared to ESP, POR & ITA, PERIOD!

Check out the most near asylum, you NEED IT. PERIOD
Guest   Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
"Brazilian Portuguese has many Italian assimilations"

The Romans! Blame the Romans. If it was not for the Romans Brazilians would be speaking Celtic.

These are the most interesting examples:
ravióli, espaguete, macarrão, nhoque, pizza, lasanha, panetone.

Let us see how they are translated to English or French...
Heavens, this is creepy! I never realized it is an Italian food invasion.... Help.
Interested   Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 am GMT
Interesting conversation I stumbled onto while looking up info on Fado songs! I heard Mariza speaking and have heard Portuguese people speaking. It definitely does not sound anything like German or Russian, but then, I know some German and Russian. It does sort of sound like French. Sort of.

I've heard people that recently came here from Romania (Rumania) speaking - and I understood some of it from, as a kid, knowing some Russian. I understood it enough to get the gist of what they were saying. The person with me, who spoke Italian, Spanish and English (Spanish being her first language), didn't understand a single word, not even when the Romanians mentioned the names of countries (they were talking politics). Talking politics is not simple sentences, like "where are you from."

I would imagine that from 1700 to now, the differences might be very great. I would also imagine that a LOT of Slavic words are now in the Romanian language - they would have had to be, for me to understand them enough to get the gist of what they were talking about.
Lisbon   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:02 am GMT
As a Portuguese, I must say that Portuguese and Spanish languages are almost identical when written, but quite different when spoken. Actually, Portuguese and Spanish people have some difficulty to understand eachother, and the prove is that we don't watch eachother's TV our listen to eachother's music, and that there's not a significant amount of Portuguese people living in Spain or vice-versa. We're like neighbours that evitate eachother, but we don't have a feud or anything.

Having said that, of course I would survive in Spain and in Italy if I only spoke Portuguese. But not in France or Romania, although I understand what some Romanians say, like their President (there must be some regional variations).

Brazil: Beware, Brazillian Portuguese sounds VERY DIFERENT from European Portuguese, majorly due to African, Spanish and Italian influence.

Italian influence in Brazil: Mostly true, but not in the wine industry. Portuguese introduced wine culture in there. Lets not forget Portugal is also a major wine produce. And food? Please, almost all countries in the world eat Italian. In Portugal there's also those words "esparguete, lasanha", etc.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:27 am GMT
When I hear Portuguese from Brazil it sounds like some African dialects.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:34 am GMT
evitate=avoid

I honestly did not know that this was a word in English until I looked it up. Of course, this is close to French and the word in Portuguese, so it was easy to understand. Then we have inevitable, so...

I really wonder how different Portuguese sounds in Portugal. I don't have a lot of trouble understanding Brazilian Portuguese and I've only studied it a little.

I'm sure that a Portuguese speaker would have trouble in France.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:45 am GMT
<<evitate=avoid

I honestly did not know that this was a word in English until I looked it up. Of course, this is close to French and the word in Portuguese, so it was easy to understand. Then we have inevitable, so... >>

"Evitate" may exist, but apparently it's pretty uncommon. One old printed dictionary doesn't have it at all, and another flags it as "Shakespearean". They do have evade, evite, evitable, etc.