Do Irish people like to be called Paddies???

Guest   Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:06 am GMT
Greg,

Je ne vois pas votre point. La linguistique couvre même l'étude des "insultes xénophobes gratuites" comme vous les appelez. Je me souviens il y a 25 ans, un homme a écrit un livre entier, un très grand livre, simplement sur le sujet des jurons (gros mots, blasphèmes etc.) dans les langues humaines différentes de dans le monde.

Greg,

I fail to see your point. Linguistics encompasses even the study of " gratuitous xenophobic insults" as you call them. I remember about 25 years ago, some man wrote an entire book, a very large book, just on swearing in various human languages from around the world.
Adam   Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:45 pm GMT
". But I'm rather sceptical about your comments."

I'm not. Because I know that the Scots are Jocks, Welsh are Taffs, Irish are Paddies, French are Stinkies or Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys or Frogs, Americans are Yanks or Septic Tanks or Doodle Dandies, Canadians are Canucks.

I don't trust foreigners. If I gave someone my wallet to look after, it would be a fellow Englishman. I'd not give it to any Johnny Foreigner. Also, I've hardly ever been abroad. There's no need to. There is nothing of interest abroad and, honestly, there really is no point to having foreign countries other than England. It's just stupid.

I mean, what is the point of Americans or Frenchman? What are they FOR? All they do all day is get on your wick and irritate you.
Liz   Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
<<I don't trust foreigners. If I gave someone my wallet to look after, it would be a fellow Englishman. I'd not give it to any Johnny Foreigner. Also, I've hardly ever been abroad. There's no need to. There is nothing of interest abroad and, honestly, there really is no point to having foreign countries other than England. It's just stupid.

I mean, what is the point of Americans or Frenchman? What are they FOR? All they do all day is get on your wick and irritate you.>>

OK. Just go ahead with your stupid comments.
greg   Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
Brennus : on a les causes qu'on peut. Si tes objectifs se limitent à des pâmoisons extatiques devant les propos d'Adam et LAA, c'est ton problème. Pas le mien.
Damian in London N2   Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
Speaking as a Scot I have no problem at all with being referred to as Jock, or a Jock, and the same goes for the majority of other Scots. It's only a slang term ffs. If I had a quid for every time I've been referred to as Jock down here in London I reckon I'd have enough to buy everyone in this Forum a pint.

As for Adam trusting his wallet to be looked after by "a fellow Englishman"....he'd have to select his custodian extremely wisely and that's for sure. And as for his other comments...well, it must be something they put in the water down there in Bolton! Ha! Ooops...I'm in London...I forgot....I should have said "up" there in Bolton....
John   Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
Bolton's full of Max and Paddies!
Guest   Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:05 am GMT
>>I don't trust foreigners. If I gave someone my wallet to look after, it would be a fellow Englishman.<<

>>There is nothing of interest abroad and, honestly, there really is no point to having foreign countries other than England. It's just stupid.<<

Hahaha! That proves the "Adam" show is all a put-on.
cire   Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:55 am GMT
>And the English are Limeys??? No way, man. Well, that's the problem.<

Actually they're Poms, and their cricket has improved a lot.
PuertoRican man   Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
Well puertoricans are called SPICs. "Whats wrong with that?" I'll tell you, it's just as bad as calling a black man the N word. These words are words to throw around like they do now and days. These words originally were given as a sense of superiority and inferiority thus a sense of racism and/or discrimination is felt when used. Liz is Liz. Adam is Adam. Brennus is Brennus. It's understood that one does not personally know a certain person thus will generally label them with a word that represents their descent. That i understand but all westerners are not big noses, not all irish are drunks, and whatever else is used. The point is that these words will continued to be used for a very long time with little or nothing we can do about it so one must not be completely offended.
O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
Well I’ll be horn swaggled if this thread ain’t hilarious AND educational. I’ve learned several new pejoratives already!

Americans are “septic tanks”??? Gosh boys and girls that really hurts! I think I had really rather be called the “n-word” (and I’m Caucasian. Mostly).

Seriously though I think whether or not any term that designates one’s nationality, ethnicity or race is truly offensive and thus beyond the pale of polite conversation depends greatly on the context and who is using the term!

I have very often heard African Americans call each other “niggah” almost affectionately but if I called them that I might be picking myself up off the ground.

BTW when I was a child I spent most of my summer days outside under a hot Southern sun wandering the fields and woods. I naturally got a very dark tan and was fairly dark to begin with (due to that non-Caucasian blood I guess). My momma’s pet name for me was “nigger boy” so it was a long time before I knew the word was anything but a term of endearment! (see what I mean about who is using it and in what context)

Now don’t y’all be calling my momma, Lord rest her soul, a racist simply because she used that word. She didn’t have a hateful bone in her body. To her, it was just another word for Black.

Be that as it may though no one here has touched on the pejoratives used to describe my ethnicity so in the interest of fair play I’ll add them to the list myself!

Cracker
Red neck
White trash
Hick
Hill Billy
Pecker wood

Give me a day or two and I’ll think of some more!
Rene   Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:20 pm GMT
Sceptic Tank... that's a good one. You could call an American that until you were blue in the face and they would have no idea what you were talking about. Try it some time, I dare you. As for Yankee, Yank, Yankee Doodle... that's not about to disturb our equinimity either, unless of course you're talking to someone from the South. If that is the case I suggest that after you say it you turn around and run for dear life.

"Be that as it may though no one here has touched on the pejoratives used to describe my ethnicity so in the interest of fair play I’ll add them to the list myself!"

How 'bout: white bread.
O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
Wharyefrom Rene?

White bread! I knew there were some I didn't think of at first! That brings to mind another too!

Soda cracker!

Got a friend who was born and raised in Utah so technically he is not a "yank" either. He told me when he was in the Navy back in the 60's he spent a week on R&R in New Zealand. Said they liked Americans so much (at least back then) that he was drunk the whole week and didn't spend more than $2. He said the first bar he sat down in a middle aged lady plopped down in his lap and asked "Are you a Yank? I ain't seen a Yank since World War Two"! and proceeded to "plant a wet one" on his lips. He didn't he didn't have the heart to tell her he wasn't a real Yank.
Destroyer of Archbigotus   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
"""""These words originally were given as a sense of superiority and inferiority thus a sense of racism and/or discrimination is felt when used. Liz is Liz. Adam is Adam. Brennus is Brennus. It's understood that one does not personally know a certain person thus will generally label them with a word that represents their descent."""""

No, Adam would be classified as archbigotus dux, a tempermental reptile located in Northwest Europe, specificly to the British Isles. This utterly repulsing creature feeds on anything foreign to its natural habitat, tending to attack without warning. It's favorite prey is any member of the Gaelicus genus.
O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
Archbigotus?

If you step in that will it come off your shoes?
Destroyer of Archbigotus   Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:03 pm GMT
Are we talking about Adam still? Then no.

((I made it up. Arch, meaning great, and bigotus meaning bigot..."