Do Irish people like to be called Paddies???

O'Bruadair   Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:10 am GMT
yeah I think so!
Guest   Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm GMT
>>>No, Adam would be classified as archbigotus dux, a tempermental reptile located in Northwest Europe, specificly to the British Isles. This utterly repulsing creature feeds on anything foreign to its natural habitat, tending to attack without warning. It's favorite prey is any member of the Gaelicus genus.<<<

that's mean...
Jessyca   Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
"that's mean..."

Maybe it would be to anyone else but Adam. Have you ever read any of his racist entries? Good back and give them a look.

"Archbigotus Dux" Ha! Good name!
student   Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
I'm originally from Ireland, although I've lived in England for over 50 years. I don't personally find the word Paddy offensive, but it really depends on how it's said. When deciding if something is derogatory or not you need to know how it's meant more than just the word itself. Slang terms for race or nationality can be insulting if used that way.
Rene   Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:33 pm GMT
O'Bruadair, i'm from california, the wonderful sunny state that had temperatures below freezing for two months straight!
Adam   Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
"But I'm rather sceptical about your comments. "

What for? For saying that Septic Tanks is one of our slang terms for Americans?

Yanks call the British "Limeys". Aussies call us "Poms". Frogs call us "Les Rosbifs". We call Yanks "Septics Tanks."

If you don't like it....tough.
Adam   Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm GMT
"Try it some time, I dare you."

What are you going to do about it if I do? Shoot me? Invade Britain? Carpet bomb London?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:49 am GMT
Getting back to the topic, I think the word 'paddy' is one of those words that depend entirely on context. For someone to call their friend this is one thing, but to call a stranger (or all the inhabitants of a particular country) by any particular name can be offensive. Here in North America, I think 'paddy' is associated with 'paddywagon', ie. the police truck sent to round up drunks. Obviously this is not an association anyone likes for their ethnic group. I'm not (entirely) Irish though, so I can't really say if it's offensive or not.
greg   Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:39 am GMT
Adam : « (...) "Les Rosbifs" ».

Les deux majuscules sont superflues : « les rosbifs » suffira.
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
"What are you going to do about it if I do? Shoot me? Invade Britain? Carpet bomb London?"

Uh.. you sort of missed my point there. What I meant was that you could call an American a sceptic tank, but then the joke would be on you because they'd have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about. Although, you did give me a good idea about invading Britain and particularly Bolton. Maybe I'll move next door to you and constantly come over asking to borrow things in a very loud American voice. And if you live in an apartment I'll get the one next door and be sure to sing songs like Yankee Doodle Dandy, You're a Grand Old Flag, God Bless America, America the Beautiful, and The Star Spangled Banner while I'm in the shower loud enough for you to hear. And yes, I do know all the words to the songs, but I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. That would be torture for you wouldn't it... cruel and unusual punishment is what it's called here.

Maybe all us "foreigners" ought to threaten Adam with such a punishment and he'd leave us all alone. But then I think I'd miss his posts; I've gotten rather fond of them. Anyway, just a few ideas and a lot of rambling.
Sarcastic Californian   Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:58 pm GMT
<<<<<Also, I've hardly ever been abroad. There's no need to...

....Yanks call the British "Limeys".>>>>>

Never in my life have I heard the word "Limey" before you mentioned it. Maybe if you GOT OUT and actually went to the US, you would know that no American would know what that is...
Liz   Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:55 pm GMT
I think it has been discussed in this forum ad nauseam, but it´s SEPTIC TANK and not SCEPTIC TANK!!!!!!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but "limey" was originally an Aussie term to denote the Brits, wasn´t it? I may not be right...

Don´t listen to Adam. He´s long been here, writing jingoistic nonsense all the time. Sometimes he seems like a parody of himself. But without him this forum would be *so* boring... :-)
Rene   Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
Sorry, the above guest was me and I'm sorry that my spelling error caused someone to hit the exclamation point so many times too.
Liz   Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
Rene,

it´s for Adam, not for you. You are American, you are not supposed to know what this expression means. It´s Adams fault. He is using it always incorrectly.
Liz   Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:03 pm GMT
Or: he is always using it incorrectly.