Best way to Learn British English?

Rick Johnson 200km S. of   Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:22 am GMT
Following on from yesterdays conversation about cities and the differences between them. A few years ago I went on a Rag Raid (University charity collecting event) to London and then two weeks later to Edinburgh. In two hours in London I collected £2.70, in Edinburgh I collected £31.20- and everyone reckons its the Scots who are tight!!

As for Scotland being the most violent country, I really think it depends where you are. I can't imagine many small highland communities having problems with violence- "Ach noo! Auld McDougals ha' one too many drams and is tearing up the heather!" But in Glasgow I guess the situation is quite different; it's the only city I've ever seen with roadside signs warning not to take drugs and drive. Every weekend in Manchester there are Glaswegians who seem to just come down to start fights on a Saturday night. I was in a takeaway a couple of weeks ago where one tried to hit the guy behind the counter- within 30 seconds the police turned up and dragged him off.
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:21 pm GMT
Yeah, it's a little LOW for a tower....but the line (or I guess I have to call it a queue) to get in was a mile long, so whatever is in it must be good.
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:52 pm GMT
Bloodthirsty tourists, wanting to see where Anne Boleyn had her head cut off, no doubt....or people wanting to steal the Crown Jewels...!

Have to admit I've never been in the 'Tower', thanks to long queues and extortionate entrance prices.
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
=>Bloodthirsty tourists, wanting to see where Anne Boleyn had her head cut off, <=

God have her soul the poor Dutch girl...
Rolls   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
extortionate

Thats a great word...

Thank You!
Dr Bean   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:57 pm GMT
Crown Jewels - what exactly are those? Real jewels in England?
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:09 pm GMT
Anne B wasn't Dutch, Sander - not sure who you're thinking of? Her grandfather (or great-grandfather) was Mayor of London - she was definitely English, although grew up partly in France.

Rolls - you're welcome! (took me 4 attempts to type the damn word correctly)

Dr Bean - see http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page450.asp
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:11 pm GMT
=>Anne B wasn't Dutch, Sander - not sure who you're thinking of? Her grandfather (or great-grandfather) was Mayor of London - she was definitely English, although grew up partly in France. <=

but.... Boleyn is a Dutch surname! ):-/
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm GMT
Of course we *did* have a Dutch king of England: William III, aka William of Orange (1688-1702)
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm GMT
Sander, as far as I know, the family's real name was 'Bullen' and her father or grandfather changed the spelling and pronunciation to make it sound more 'fancy'.
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:14 pm GMT
Yes you did , a victory and at the same time the decline of Dutch world dominance. Ironicly we helped you become the rulers of the seas...
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:16 pm GMT
=>Sander, as far as I know, the family's real name was 'Bullen' and her father or grandfather changed the spelling and pronunciation to make it sound more 'fancy'. <=

Grrrr! This is treason!
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:19 pm GMT
Yeah -- I didn't go in it either (I can't stand waiting in lines).
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:24 pm GMT
<<Grrrr! This is treason! >>
Well, she got her head chopped off after all....! Although maybe she had a posthumous revenge because her daughter Elizabeth was Queen of England for almost 45 years.
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:26 pm GMT
=>Well, she got her head chopped off after all....!<=

I feel much better now :-)

BTW, wikipedia says a Dutch musician was involved with this whole thing.