Which European languages are most likely to die out?

a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
I would say that most of the languages spoken in Eastern Europe will be gone in the not too distant future. Certain Slavic languages in E. Europe will be supplanted most likely by Russian or Polish. Sorbian, a minor Slavic language spoken in Southeastern Germany will likely be one of the candidates.
!   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:15 pm GMT
This is so stupid. Languages won't die out in the near future unless the world will turn over. Tiny countries like Lithuania and Slovenia are proud of their languages. Languages such as Ukrainian and Belorussian are experiencing a considerable revival. Nobody learns Swedish or Finnish but they still exist.

Languages WON'T die. They will just have to coexist with English.
Travis   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
>>This is so stupid. Languages won't die out in the near future unless the world will turn over. Tiny countries like Lithuania and Slovenia are proud of their languages. Languages such as Ukrainian and Belorussian are experiencing a considerable revival. Nobody learns Swedish or Finnish but they still exist.

Languages WON'T die. They will just have to coexist with English.<<

LOL. You are ignoring many a minority language that is quite endangered, to say the very least. Examples in Europe include things such as Irish (despite its sponsorship by the Irish gov't) and Scottish Gaelic, various Sami languages (some of which have already become extinct), various Baltic-Finnic languages (some of which are on the verge of extinction), assorted Oïl and Oc languages/dialects in France, and so on. Of course, it is not English pushing these towards extinction but rather the more widely-spoken gov't-sponsored national languages in the areas where they are spoken.
Travis   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:29 pm GMT
(Of course, Irish is an exception to such, being a gov't-sponsored national language that is endangered in spite of such.)
Guest   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
<<Languages WON'T die. They will just have to coexist with English.>>

Ah, but they do die, as was the case of the recently (relatively) departed Slovincian, Polabian, Cornish, and Manx languages
!   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
I didn't know we were talking about "various languages" which have already lost the majority of speakers a long time ago, and which you also fail to name.
The original poster pointed out Eastern European languages, are Irish and Scottish Gaelic Eastern European too? Please don't put words into my mouth.
!   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:42 pm GMT
Guest, I meant nationally recognized languages. I didn't mean those that most people never heard of.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
It appeared as though Gaelic (Irish) was on the road to extinction, but I've spoken to native born Irishmen who've told me that the language is making a remarkable comeback. Regarding Cornish or Manx, I don't think that they have a chance. I don't know if the British government is making any attempt at trying to salvage those languages. I hope that the minority languages of France survive and prosper.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:26 pm GMT
" Languages WON'T die. They will just have to coexist with English". Oh really? What about the languages of poor European countries like Albania? Economically challenged nations are always dominated by the cultures and languages of their more powerful neighbors. Albania, the poorest country in Europe, is overwhelmed with influences from neighboring Italy, which is much wealthier in comparison. In order for most Albanians to survive, they end up immigrating to Italy, where they learn the language and other skills. Many of these people end up moving back to their homeland. I've read where Italian television has had a profound effect on Albanians. It's given them a glimpse of the world beyond their once closed society where most Albanians have never had a view of the world beyond their own country. If you don't think that the Albanian language is in jeopardy, you're sadly mistaken.
Geyikilikkiattak   Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:45 pm GMT
I think, the most probably Dutch, Swedish and Finnish will be extinct because each and every person of these nations speak perfect English, and after some while, they will prefer speaking English rather than their own ones.I myself speak Finnish, and find it rather difficult while speaking and writing grammatically, and although we take Swedish as a third language at school, I definitely prefer speaking English and so do my fellows.As I observe in Finland, many people regard Finnish very hard even if it's our native language and there is a high level of Europeanization in Finland day by day, people are starting to give up their national values...
real_Alba(ALBANIAN roxx)   Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
<<<Languages WON'T die. They will just have to coexist with English". Oh really? What about the languages of poor European countries like Albania? Economically challenged nations are always dominated by the cultures and languages of their more powerful neighbors. Albania, the poorest country in Europe, is overwhelmed with influences from neighboring Italy, which is much wealthier in comparison. In order for most Albanians to survive, they end up immigrating to Italy, where they learn the language and other skills. Many of these people end up moving back to their homeland. I've read where Italian television has had a profound effect on Albanians. It's given them a glimpse of the world beyond their once closed society where most Albanians have never had a view of the world beyond their own country. If you don't think that the Albanian language is in jeopardy, you're sadly mistaken.>>>

OK ASSWIPE!!!! First of all, Albanian will NOT die out!! It is one of the oldest languages in Europe. Second, Albania is not the poorest country in Europe, Moldova is, and EE is full of poor countries that doesnt mean the languages gonna die out. But more importantly, you know why it wont die out??? cause Albanians keep having lots of kids and passing on the traditions(even if its with non-Albanians my friends son was born in America and is half-American but he learned Albanian first ;)

Im glad that you mentioned Italy. If you knew anythign about the Arberesh(those are Albanians who have lived in Italy for over 400 years) they still speak ALBANIAN in addition to Italian, and still have kept their language, traditions etc and still call themselves ALBANIAN.

Also, Albanians living in Kosova, Macedonia, Montenegro, Chameria in Greece, or anywhere else still speak ALBANIAN. Granted with diff accents and dialects but still.

And yes Italian culture is popular in Albanian, that doesnt mean that the Albanian language will die out. Unlike Americans, Europeans speak at least TWO different languages, because everyone speaks at least a foreign language in Europe especially the young people or at least they try.

Last, and certainly not least, Albanians are one of the few people in Europe still making babies! And I plan on having at least ten babies with an Albanian guy from Kosova. hahaha no Im kidding, but if I were to have kids it would most definately be with an Albanian guy just so I can pass on teh language and add to the population of Albanians, lol

and we dont just migrate to Italy. We immigrate everywhere, work, make money, and some of us return back to our homeland to help out. Hopefully when Im rich I'd like to return and live in Tirana and help my country out. :-)

Languages dont die if people dont die and Albanians dont die. ALBOS MULTIPLY!

Tungjatjeta te gjitheve nga nje Shqiptare krenare! :-)
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:18 pm GMT
ASSWIPE? Fuck you cunt face. Why don't you fuckin' loser Albanians stay in your own fuckin' third world loser rat hole country instead of immigrating to a modern, prosperous nation like Italy. Italians don't need you, you Albanian fuckers need Italians. Always remember that real Alba. If you need somebody, you're the servant, and whom you are serving will always be the master. Italy is Albania's master. Always was. Always will be. Fuck you bitch and ciao!!!
real_Alba   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 pm GMT
what a loser! ahahaha dont tell me you are Italian, you are just a joke. Italy prosperous? For Eastern Europe maybe, not for Western Europe they're not. Albanians are nobody's servants we are free people, like our ancestors Ilirians which means free. and I like Italy so whatever im not gonna talk shit about them hahaha...fuck you cazzo! va falcuno figlio di putana. ciao :-) keep my *beautiful* countrys name out your filthy mouth! grazie mille!
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:34 pm GMT
real-alba, va fanculo a tu e la tua scrofa madre che t'ha caccato. L'Italia e una nazione molto bella e tu e una puttana. Vattene all'inferno puttana brutta!! La tua nazione e povera. Sempre aveva povera. E l'Albania non vale di niente . L'Albanesi sono sempre stato zengari poveri. Trovati lavoro alla tua nazione! L'Italiani non ha bisogno di gente povera come vuoi.
real_Alba   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:52 pm GMT
GUSTO CIELO!!!!!!!!!! perche stai cosi meschino?? che cosa ti hai fato io?? tu va fanculo e vai all'inferno con la tua brutta madre e tuo piu brutto papa!! lo so che Italia e bella ma io non sono una puttana come la tua mama! tu stai sbagliando con questi cose che stai dicendo e tu sei dando le Italiani una darbrutta reputazione.

(Il mio Italiano non e cosi bene addesso, perche io vivere in America, lol)

Perche odio li Albananesi? :( che cosa ti hano fato?? e va be ciao non posso continuare parlare con un persono cosi villano, lol.