Which European languages are most likely to die out?

Sting   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:19 pm GMT
No, I am sure he'll be gone in 15...by a piece of wood...
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
""Even though this might sound strange, I think that greek language will be gone in about 200 years. It will be taken over by turkish as an easier substitute for bussiness transactions with the rest of the world. Greek people will be assimilated into turks, change their names etc and become real turks. They are already 1/2 turks since their great great grandfathers were ottoman (turkish) soldiers who married or raped greek women during 500 years of turkish rule. So, this assimilation will come as naturally as finding their own family tree. ""

I think that this might truly happen. There are many factors that can lead one to believe what this guy wrote. If you read some history, you'll understand that greeks' days are numbered as soon as Turkey enters EU. In a matter of decades turks will buy out every centimeter of Greece and keep greeks as their "slaves" as they did not too long ago. Greeks will keep their flag as a reminder of their 1/2 greek origin and that will be it...the rest of it will be studied in history books!
Real_Alba   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:50 pm GMT
Greek language will disappear, I agree, but it wont be completely taken over by the Turkish language. Some parts will be taken over by Albanians, the Greeks will assimilate and call themselves Albos, everybody will convert to either Catholicism or Islam so there's no confusion as to who's who, the Muslims "Greeks" will be Turkish, and the Catholic "Greeks" will be Albanian. ANd then everyone will live happily ever after.
Vlad   Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:55 am GMT
Looks like Real_Alba is so fond of attacking other races. He not only attacks the Russians and Italians but the Greeks too.

Well lucky for the Albanians that those Greeks or Russians who read your message do not take it seriously and they just think that you do not speak for the entire Albanian community. Because if they have the same mentality like you have, the Albanians would have been experiencing a genocide the moment they read your message that are full of hatred and bigotry.

What are you boasting about? Albania is just a small nation with an area of 11,000 square miles and a population of less than 5 million. It is one of the poorest nation in Europe.
Vlad   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
I apologize for my previous comment. I was being an asswipe, and I am just mad that everyone is predicting Russia will be taken over by China and Turkey. Also, I love the Albanian people. They are awsome.
Vlad   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
I apologize for my previous comment. I was being an asswipe, and I am just mad that everyone is predicting Russia will be taken over by China and Turkey. Also, I love the Albanian people. They are awsome.
Vlad   Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:08 pm GMT
I apologize for the imposter "realalba"-"vlad"
Vlad   Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:38 pm GMT
I would like to add that I am the REAL Vlad, no imposter and what I said is true. I do not condone genocides, I am a peace-loving hippy living in my mother's basement. Russia is great country, there we say horse, dog, blind dog, cat, rat, mouse, then woman, diseased rodents, bacteria. I also enjoy to threaten other cultures but only because I am Russian.
Krieg   Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 am GMT
Rusian language will be considered a rare dialiect not to long from now. It will be spoken by moving populations all over Europe, more or less like roma language. In the territory that now is called Rusia there will be no humans living because of the radioactivity left from the last nuclear disaster that (will) killed over 120 million russians. The place will be barbed-wired and named "Cockroach Farm".
real_Alba   Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:41 am GMT
Thats really mean. I was joking before but wow Russophobia has taken over this forum lol. Languages arent going to die out common now, all languages are beautiful to the native speakers at least.
bubba68   Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:03 am GMT
"...most probably Dutch, Swedish and Finnish will be extinct because each and every person of these nations speak perfect English, and after some while, they will prefer speaking English rather than their own ones...."

REALLY?? Wow! Some folks I know in Sweden would be FASCINATED to hear that!! Apparently, a large part of the population there is inexplicably IGNORANT of their facility with the English language! It sounds as if they're BORN with the ability to speak it, but it must clearly be a closely-guarded secret, as many of them can't communicate at all in the language. As far as Finland, I can remember a day not too long back when I went over quite a few blocks in Helsinki, asking in English, Finnish and Swedish for someone who could speak English. The best I could muster was a lone gentleman who spoke good Swedish, but nary an English-speaker. Granted, many in the Netherlands are good with English, but I have also found some who weren't, so I can't really agree with you completely there, either.

I would really like to hear the basis for your assumptions, though!
Svetlana   Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:47 am GMT
Russians are drinking themselves to death and that's gonna be their sad end. Yes, it is sad, but true. The survivors will be taken into "custody" by families all over the world and it will be illegal to serve them alcohool just like with native american indians...russian language will be saved into CD-s and buried deep into concrete bunkers for future studies.
real_Alba   Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:27 am GMT
Whos gonna take them into custody? The British? well I guess they have a history of wiping out an entire human race...Native Americans were tall, handsome, and healthy until Europeans discovered the new land...then everything went to hell and thousands of them died. Ahh to be white, western, and man...it gives you the right to decide which human race should live or die and which language should survive or not. enough of you!
Franco.   Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:03 am GMT
Kak pechal'no, chto tak mnogo lyudei umret! Ya prosto hochu umeret' toje. Russkie ne zasluzhivaut takuyu bol'.
Prophecy   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:26 am GMT
Russians will be eaten alive by chinese in about 70 years. They will be required to learn chinese by their own government to satisfy the economic needs of businesses. Those who opose will be used to carry heavy things until they're considered useless and sent to live in Mongolia with other unwanted internationals from all over the world. Russian language will be spoken only inside homes and be considered a "kitchen table language" from well-known linguists. The Red Sun of China will "desinfect" those lands once and for all...