United-Statian movement

elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 2:26 am GMT
yes you're right, but they consider them to be regions of a America.
e.i. Spanish
- Norteamerica
America - Centro America
- Sudamerica
elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 2:27 am GMT
America
* Norteamerica
* Centroamerica
* Sudamerica
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 3:22 am GMT
So ultimately this is a debate about geography? If so, it's not one you're going to win. It is widely agreed that North America and South America are separate continents. Like I said before, if North America and South America are one continent, than so are Europe and Asia.
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 4:16 am GMT
<yes you're right, but they consider them to be regions of a America. >

No, they consider them to be regions of THE AMERICAS.
furrykef   Sun May 20, 2007 4:26 am GMT
I always assumed "United Statian" is a calque from Spanish "estadounidense" or maybe a similar term in another language... I've never heard it used seriously by a native English speaker, nor have I heard it used politically by a non-native speaker.
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 4:47 am GMT
<<No, they consider them to be regions of THE AMERICAS.>>

And North America and South America are two separate continents, correct?
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 4:52 am GMT
America the country or America the continent?
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 4:56 am GMT
There is no continent called America. There are two continents that make up "the Americas."
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 5:09 am GMT
<< And North America and South America are two separate continents, correct? >>

That's what they teach you in US schools, but in Latin America, they teach the 6-continent model where north and south form one continent called "America".

See "Number of Continents" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 5:15 am GMT
HaHa stupid. In that case there should be "Eurasiafrica".
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 am GMT
Well you've literally just rocked my world. I was not aware that the existence of seven continents is not a universal concept. I think now we're starting to get to the roots of the debate.

I also see that in some places Eurasia is considered one continent, as well, which makes sense if you're going to considered the Americas as being together. I don't think you can have one separate and one together, it would be illogical.

Of course it makes sense to me that if America is considered one continent that people in Latin American countries take offense to residents of the United States laying claim to the title of "American." At the very least this clears some things up, even if I'm not sure I agree with the new information.
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 5:42 am GMT
>>There is no continent called America. There are two continents that make up "the Americas." <<

Yes there is; it's synonymous is the Americas.
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 5:43 am GMT
America is also synonymous with the Americas.
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 6:01 am GMT
Well, of course that's subjective. It seems to me that it's only in Latin America, the Iberian Peninsula, Italy, Israel and a few other parts of Europe, that it is seen as one continent. The rest of the world sees them as being separate. You can't state it as fact, because it is very debatable.
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 pm GMT
The reality is that we've been called "Americans" for centuries. The name came from the British back in the 18th century, I believe.

WHAAATTTT???!!!! From the British??? AHAAHAHHA!!! MY GOD!!!! You are an american and you even don't know what is the origin of your country name. It's embarassing, hardly to believe.
America takes its name by Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci, Amerigo was latinized in Americus and then it became "America".
Incredible, but have you done primary school???