Which are the most useful languages to travel?

John   Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 pm GMT
You are a liar, disgusting Frog!!!

According to Ethnologue, French is 17th, after Tamil. Guest is right. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people and it is second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 12:33 pm GMT
According to linguists. Number doesn't matter but the quality.

Do you think intelligent people would believe the exagerated and biased report of Ehtnologue. Only dumb, dull, stupid, and nuissance people like you who believe it since you cannot accept that Spanish is not spoken widely as a second language.

Ethnologue reported that there are only 250 million plus native speaker of Spanish. It didn't inc;ide the native speaker of Catalan, Basque, Galician, Valencian, Asturians, Aragonese, Leaonese, Quechua, Aymara, Guarani, Nahuatl, and other Amerinfian languages.
Wasp America   Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
Wow!!! French is 17th. It is less important than I thought. Only English will survive.
Chang   Thu May 24, 2007 12:39 pm GMT
Chinese, English and Spanish will survive.
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 12:54 pm GMT
Of course Spanish will survive - as a worldwide language of the lower class :-)
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
You are nervous. It doesn´t matter. USA will be bilingual by 2050.
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
Spanish, Chinese, and Hindi are only useful if you're going to specific parts of the world. They are not widely learned by third party individuals. French and English are not only useful in Europe and North America, but they are also the most likely to be learned by random other people around the world. They are, by far, the most popular second languages, and wherever you go you're bound to find someone who knows at least one of them.
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 5:34 pm GMT
Which one do you know besides English ?
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 5:37 pm GMT
<<You are nervous. It doesn´t matter. USA will be bilingual by 2050.>>

That's a lie. We Anglo-Americans, who run the country, will never allow Spanish to be on equal footing with English. It's just not going to happen. Spanish will always remain a secondary language. English will always be the most important language in the United States.

Just because a language is spoken as a first language by an ethnicitiy of people who reproduce like rabbits, does not mean it is important.
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
The most useful travel languages imo are English, French, Spanish, and (this was a surprise-German).

Japanese was also useful in China (but only for reading signs)-Use English in China if you don't speak Mandarin or another Chinese language.

English: Useful everywhere except in (former) eastern bloc countries. Only German worked for me there. I didn't know any Slavic languages at the time.

(I know some Russian now. What do you think? Is that the best travel language among the Slavic languages?)

French: Useful in all the French-speaking countries, with speakers from various countries from Africa, and in the US and Canada, also useful in Italy.

Spanish: Spanish-speaking countries, in the US, in Italy, Greece and Japan(lots of Brazilians, SAs, etc. who understand Spanish better than English or Japanese)

I'm familiar with some other languages, but the ones I mentioned have really been useful to me.

Hope this helps!
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 6:04 pm GMT
A majority of South Americans speak Portugese. Learn that if you want to visit that part of the world.
WASP AMERICA   Thu May 24, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
If you want to travel, the most useful languages are:

Americas: English and Spanish

Europe: English and Russian

Africa: English and Arabic

Asia: English and Chinese.

So, English first, of course. Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese are second class languages . The other languages are a shit.
Traveler   Thu May 24, 2007 7:18 pm GMT
<<Which are the most useful languages to travel around the world? English is one of them, but I want to study two more. >>

Easy, France is the most visited country with 80 million of travelers.
Lean French Also.

ranks by travelling interests:
Americas: 1)English(300 M) , 2)Spanish (355 Million speakers), 3)Portuguese (200 M), 4)French (40 M)

Europe: 1)French (120 M), 2)Spanish (55 M), 3)Italian (74 M), 4)German (110 M).

Africa: 1)French (110 M), 2)Arabic (150 M), 3)English (90 M)

Asia: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi.
IAM   Thu May 24, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
Ecoute bien, JE T'EMMERDE, JE T'ENCULE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLZzbgTZPIc
Andrew   Thu May 24, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
French is the language of diplomecy, learning, history, and democracy. So maybe Spanish has more NATIVE speakers, French is spoken in more countries, more people on the internet speak it, and if you look at an alamac, for example, for country information... it seems as if every country has two or three official languages, English and French (especially in Africa, where French is becoming more popular with the general population.)