Which are the most useful languages to travel?

Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
Most international organizations have English and French as their official languages. Spanish is only official in a few of them. Even when Spanish is official, like in the U.N. or E.U., it is still outranked by English and French, which are used as working languages in those organizations.
Guest   Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
Also, while it may be true that more Spanish speakers have access to the internet, more internet pages are written in French. It is second behind English in that regard.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
nope, French fan, the second behind USA is Germany, France is only number 6

http://www.webhosting.info/domains/country_stats/

And in internet pages per 1000 people Germany is even number one worldwide

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/int_web_sit-internet-web-sites
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:27 pm GMT
And Canada is #4, with at least a quarter of its population being French-speaking. Anyways, we're still talking about two different things here. Number of domains from a country is not the same as number of pages in language.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:37 pm GMT
your mom.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:49 pm GMT
Even if a quarter of the Canadian pages are in French (what I doubt personally) this wouldn't make French more popular in the internet than German or English

>> Anyways, we're still talking about two different things here. Number of domains from a country is not the same as number of pages in language.

So what? Even if you look at the pages by language, French will always be behind English and German
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:59 pm GMT
I usually speak Cambogian when I travel and I can't complain
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 7:01 pm GMT
<Even if a quarter of the Canadian pages are in French (what I doubt personally) this wouldn't make French more popular in the internet than German or English>

Why would you doubt that? Besides, my guess is that, at the very least, a lot of those pages are bilingual or duplicated in both languages.

<So what? Even if you look at the pages by language, French will always be behind English and German>

Do you know this for a fact? Again, there are some web domains out that in which there are only one or two pages. I would love to see some real statistics on the matter, as a while back I read that French was the second most prevelant language on the internet. Anyways, even if it's third behind German, I wouldn't be too upset.
Helga   Fri May 25, 2007 7:26 pm GMT
Well, I see.

English, Spanish, and French are the most useful languages.
Franco   Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
Most useful language obviously is Body Language.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 11:26 pm GMT
the most understandable and useful language is sex
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 am GMT
<< In Africa, French is loosing importance: in Madagascar, Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Mauritania is loosing speakers very fast. >>

Where did you get htis information, Wasp America?

On the contrary, English is the one that is losing grip on the African continent. In Kenya and Tanzania, it's giving way to Swahili. In Nigeria there's a movement to make French the second official language. In Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Gambia, and Kenya, French is becoming the most popular foreign language.

There's no sign in the countries you mentioned that French will disappera. It's just a product of your imagination, hispanic wasp.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 4:34 am GMT
<< Spanish: Spanish-speaking countries, in the US, in Italy, Greece and Japan(lots of Brazilians, SAs, etc. who understand Spanish better than English or Japanese) >>

The most widely spoken forein languages in Greece is English and French not Spanish. As a matter of fact Greece is a member of Francophonie. Just where did you get this piece of shit?

In Italy, you can use Spanish but they would answer back in Italian since the two are mutually intelligible.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 am GMT
If Italian and Spanish are mutually intelligible, one should learn Italian, since it's classy and Spanish is not.
Beau Garçon   Sat May 26, 2007 5:12 am GMT
YOOHOO! Calling the attention of French language critics.

Check on this link and find out what really French immersion means. Please read carefully and I appeal to Spanish speaking posters not to get envious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_immersion