FRENCH or SPANISH?

Selçuk   Wed May 30, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
Hi, everyone, I am a student from Turkey wiling to learn one of these languages. But I couldn't decide with which to start... Actually I want to start with Spanish as it is much less complicated compared to French and it is much more widely used. But when it comes to diplomacy and necessity in Turkey, I should start with French...Help me please...
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 1:39 pm GMT
Italian
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 1:42 pm GMT
It depends on your future job, and more things.

Perhaps, the better way to resolve it is simple: you can speak one of them well, and to have a basic knowledge of the other one.

If you speak Spanish well, you can understand Portuguese and Italian speaking people more or less.
Alba   Wed May 30, 2007 1:59 pm GMT
Spanish. But I guess it depends where you live. And learn Italian too lol. Its a beautiful language.
Selçuk   Wed May 30, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
Hmm, yeah, I think in terms of mutual intelligibility I should start with Spanish in order to understand Italian and Portuguese as well. But in Turkey actually Spanish is no use. No one needs it really, but everyone is seeking for people being able to speak French. Even Italian is much more a necessity than Spanish in Turkey although it is the other way round in the rest of the world. I'm really confused which Romanve language to learn in Turkey. It is very very very difficult to decide...
Aldo   Wed May 30, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
I'm a native Spanish speaker and I won't tell you that you must learn Spanish because of that so before you decide think why and for what you need to learn this one or that one.

Although if you say that everyone is seeking for people being able to speak
French then French would be the best option for your future. If you are planning to move or work in any place of the American continent then Spanish obviously would be the best option and automatically taking advantage of the Portuguese level of intelligibility as well.

Although Italian is not so close to Spanish as Portuguese is, its phonetics are very similar, even more than the Portuguese one, which could help in the learning of it.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
If you think to study Spanish and understand Italian too or viceversa....good luck.
ff   Wed May 30, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
Everybody claims without knowledge of these famous "familiarities" among languages thinking they are an aid to learn them, but nobody says that the majority of these similarities are tricky. Spanish, Italian and French have many similarities, it is a pity that most of them are language traps!
So when you learn a language of the same family these similiraties are not an help as you think, but on the contrary are problems.
There are hundreds of similar words with total different meanings, have you ever heard about "false friends"? If we include partial false friends there are thousands of these trap-words.
Spanish, Italian, French and English are full of them.
An easy example:
In Italian the verbs "salire" (get on) and "fermare" (to stop) are very similar to the French verbs "salir" (to dirty) and "fermer" (to close). So I let you imagine the face expression of a French taxi-driver if an Italian with superficial knowledge of French says to him "Fermez votre taxi, s'il vous plait! Je dois salir!" = Close your taxi I must dirty it.
The same thing happens for a French who doesn't know Italian well.
In Italian "imbarazzata" means "embarassed" but in Spanish "embarazada" means pregnant. What's happen if a performer on stage start his speech with "yo soy muy embarazada"? = I'm very pregnant
"Terrific" in English means beautiful, in italian means horrible....
and so on.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
>>If you are planning to move or work in any place of the American continent then Spanish obviously would be the best option and automatically taking advantage of the Portuguese level of intelligibility as well.<<

Not so fast my friend, there are two continents, North America and South America. In North America, Spanish is mostly useless.
A-S   Wed May 30, 2007 5:52 pm GMT
You live in Turkey? I shall advise you to learn French in the first one, why? French is widely used in Lebanon (francophone country), Syria (former fr. territory), Israel (25% of the population), Egypt (fr. cy.), Algeria, Marocco, Tunisia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, or even Ukraine and Cyprius all are francophone countries.
Historicaly Turkey and France are very close, and ever since a long time the king François I and the sultan Suleiman the Magnificent attest it.
French is one of the 2 UNO's work language, even if Turkey join EU, one of the 3 EU's work language. The 3 capitals of EU are francophones (Strasbourg in France, Brussels 85% of the population, Luxembourg (all the population speak french), also French is the only language of the European Justice.
You know English? 60% of the English vocabulary is originated from the franco-latin (without counting the Greek vocabulary which is similar), so French should be quite easy, if you know French you know Italian (89% similar vocabulary more than Spanish{80%}), yes the pronounciation is different but "si tu comprends le Français, comprendi l'italiano."

"Spanish is easier than French? no!" a link, some chichés are made: French is more difficult than Spanish see that also to undestand why it isn't true:

http://french.about.com/cs/teachingresources/a/spanishiseasier.htm

Why learn French so?

1. An obvious reason to learn a new language is to be able to communicate with the people who speak it.

2. French distinguishes between tu (familiar) and vous (formal/plural), while Spanish has five words that indicate one of four categories: familiar/singular (tú or vos, depending on the country), familiar/plural (vosotros), formal/singular (Ud.), and formal/plural (Uds.). the fact that many languages have more than one translation of "you" indicates that these languages (and the cultures that speak them) place a greater emphasis on distinguishing between audiences than does English.

3. If you are an English speaker, one of the best reasons to learn French is to help you understand your own language. Although English is a Germanic language, French has had an enormous impact on it . In fact, French is the largest donor of foreign words in English. Unless your English vocabulary is much higher than average, learning French will greatly increase the number of English words you know.

4. French is spoken as a native language in more than two dozen countries on five continents. Depending on your sources, French is either the 11th or the 13th most common native language in the world, with 72-79 million native speakers and another 210 million secondary speakers .

5. French is the second most commonly taught second language in the world (after English), making it a real possibility that speaking French will come in handy practically anywhere you travel.

6. In 2003, the United States was France's leading investor, accounting for 25% of the new jobs created in France from foreign investment. There are 2,400 US companies in France generating 240,000 jobs. American companies with offices in France include IBM, Microsoft, Mattel, Dow Chemical, SaraLee, Ford, Coca-Cola, AT&T, Motorola, Johnson & Johnson, Ford, and Hewlett Packard.

7. French is the 3rd most frequently spoken non-English language in US homes and the second most commonly taught foreign language in the United States (after Spanish).

8. French is an official working language in dozens of international organizations, including the United Nations, International Olympic Committee, and International Red Cross.

9. French is the lingua franca of culture, including art, cuisine, dance, and fashion. France has won more Nobel Prizes for literature than any other country in the world and is one of the top producers of international films.

10. French is the second most frequently used language on the internet.

11. French is ranked the 2nd most influential language in the world.

Some links:
http://www.nadeaubarlow.com/books/view/2/2
http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

Also after learn French, you can learn Spanish, that will not be difficult!
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 5:56 pm GMT
Pues me parece que si es importante en Norteamérica:

Población hispana y porcentaje

Nuevo México (837.390) 43,42%
California (12.722.962) 35,21%
Texas (8.029.844) 35,13%
Arizona (1.692.930) 28,50%
Nevada (568.356) 23,54%
Florida (3.467.455) 19,49%
Colorado (907.768) 19,46%
Nueva York (3.101.626) 16,11%
Nueva Jersey (1.327.413) 15,23%
Illinois (1.826.283) 14,31%
Connecticut (382.145) 10,89%
Utah (268.234) 10,86%
Rhode Island (115.344) 10,72%
Oregon (359.785) 9,88%
Idaho (129.880) 9,08%
Washington (551.371) 8,77%
Distrito de Columbia (47.272) 8,59%
Kansas (228.250) 8,32%

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribuci%C3%B3n_geogr%C3%A1fica_del_idioma_espa%C3%B1ol
Andrew   Wed May 30, 2007 6:15 pm GMT
Why study Spanish?

1.Who's learning Spanish these days? For instance, residents of the United States, a bunch not known for conquering monoligualism, are studying Spanish in record numbers.

2. Spanish, too, is becoming of greater importance in Europe, where it is often the foreign language of choice after English.

3. And it's no wonder that Spanish is a popular second or third language: with some 450 million speakers, it's the fourth most commonly spoken language in the world (after English, Chinese and Hindustani), and according to some counts it has more native speakers than English does. It is an official language on five continents and is of historical importance elsewhere.'
The numbers alone makes Spanish a good choice for those wanting to learn another tongue. But there are plenty of other reasons to learn Spanish.

4. Better understanding of English: Much of the vocabulary of English has Latin origins. Since Spanish is also a Latin language, you will find as you study Spanish that you have a better understanding of your native vocabulary. Similarly, both Spanish and English share Indo-European roots, so their grammars are similar. There is perhaps no more effective way to learn English grammar than by studying the grammar of another language, for the study forces you to think about how your language is structured. It's not unusual, for example, to gain an understanding of English verbs' tenses and moods by learning how those verbs are used in Spanish.

5.Knowing USA people: Not all that many years ago, the Spanish-speaking population of the United States was confined to the Mexican border states, Florida and New York City. But no more. Even where I live, less than 100 kilometers from the Canadian border, there are Spanish-speaking people living on the same street as I do. Knowing Spanish has proven invaluable in speaking with other residents of my town who don't know English.

6. Travel: Yes, it is perfectly possible to visit Mexico, Spain and even Ecuatorial Guinea without speaking a word of Spanish. But it isn't nearly half as much fun. I remember about two decades ago — when my Spanish was much less adequate than it is today — when I met some mariachis on top of one of the pyramids near Mexico City. Because I spoke (albeit limited) Spanish, they wrote down the words for me so I could sing along. It turned out to be one of my most memorable travel experiences, and one unlike most tourists have the opportunity to enjoy. Time and time again while traveling in Mexico, Central America and South America I have had doors opened to me simply because I speak Spanish, allowing me to see and do things that many other visitors do not.

7. Cultural understanding: While most of us (Pope John Paul II may be an exception) can't hope to learn the languages of more than one or two cultures other than that of our own, those that we can learn help us to learn how other people learn and think. When I read Latin American or Spanish newspapers, for example, I often find that I gain a sense of how other people think and feel, a way that is different than my own. Spanish also offers a wealth of literature, both modern and traditional.

8. Learning other languages: If you can learn Spanish, you'll have a head start in learning the other Latin-based languages such as French and Italian. And it will even help you learn Russian and German, since they too have Indo-European roots and have some characteristics (such as gender and extensive conjugation) that are present in Spanish but not English. And I wouldn't be surprised if learning Spanish might even help you learn Japanese or any other non-Indo-European language, since intensive learning the structure of a language can give you a reference point for learning others.

9. It's easy: Spanish is one of the easiest foreign languages to learn. Much of its vocabulary is similar to English's, and written Spanish is almost completely phonetic: Look at almost any Spanish word and you can tell how it is pronounced. And while mastering the grammar of Spanish can be a challenge, basic grammar is straightforward enough that you can have meaningful communication after only a few lessons.

10. Spanish is the mother tongue of approximately 390 million people in 25 countries (Mexico: 98 million, Spain: 39 million, USA: 39 million, Argentina: 35 million, Colombia: 36 million, Venezuela: 22 million, Peru: 20 million…) It is also widely spoken in many more where it is not an official language.

11.Spanish is the second most used language in international communication, and an official language of the UN and its organisations

12. "The world is rapidly becoming multilingual and Arabic and Spanish are both key languages of the future" said language researcher David Graddol, commenting on a recent report presented to the British Council

13. The US Census Bureau reports that the nation's Hispanic population is expected to jump to 49.3 million from 38.2 million by 2015. The 39 million Hispanics currently living in the USA make up 12.5% of the total population. This population growth has increased demand for Spanish language media: radio, television, newspapers, magazines...

14. Latin American countries are experiencing strong economic growth and becoming important global commercial partners. Newly created MERCOSUR and the existing free trade agreements between Hispanic countries and North America (ALADI, the Andean Community, CACM, NAFTA, G3), are expected to bring further growth to Latin American economies

15. Latin culture continues to have a global influence on architecture, art and literature. Who isn't familiar with Cervantes 'Don Quijote de la Mancha, the second most translated book after the Bible, which marked its 400th anniversary in 2005 with worldwide celebrations? Who hasn't heard that the most expensive painting ever sold is a Picasso?
Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava continues to make his mark worldwide, with recent and current projects in Sweden, Ireland, Germany, the Olympic campus in Athens and the site of the world trade centre in New York, among others.
Spanish language authors like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende continue to lead global best seller lists and win international critical acclaim.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
Yes, but most of the people use English in their every day life, and a lot of them don't even speak Spanish at all!

If you come to North America looking to speak Spanish and not English, you're going to be shit out of luck.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
While any language will be useful for some jobs or for some regions, French is the only foreign language that can be useful throughout the world as well as in the United States. French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English. The International Organization of Francophonie has 51 member states and governments. Of these, 28 countries have French as an official language. French is the only language other than English spoken on five continents. French and English are the only two global languages.
When deciding on a foreign language for work or school, consider that French is the language that will give you the most choices later on in your studies or your career.

French, along with English, is the official working language of

the United Nations

UNESCO

NATO

Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

the International Labor Bureau

the International Olympic Committee

the 31-member Council of Europe

the European Community

the Universal Postal Union

the International Red Cross

Union of International Associations (UIA)

French is the dominant working language at

the European Court of Justice

the European Tribunal of First Instance

the European Court of Auditors in Luxembourg.

the Press Room at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium

One example of the importance of French can be seen in a recent listing of international jobs (8/29/06) distributed by the US State Department: 135 required or preferred French, 49 Spanish, 25 a UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish), 6 Arabic, 6 Russian, 2 German, 2 Italian , and Chinese 2.

Of the various types of professional positions for which international organizations recruit, five required French, two Spanish, one Portuguese, and one Arabic, according to the fact sheet released by the UN Employment Information and Assistance Unit Bureau of International Organization Affairs U.S. Department of State, December 1, 2000.

The Economics of French and France

French is the foreign language spoken by our largest trading partner (Canada).

The province of Quebec alone is the fifth largest trading partner of the United States with over $104 billion in trade in 2000.

In 2000, the United States exported more to countries having French as a national language than to countries having any other foreign language. Exports to Canada alone in that year were greater than the combined exports to all countries south of the United States.
Between 1995 and 2002 exports from the US to France increased by 33%; imports from France went up 64%.

The U.S. and France share many trade similarities, particularly their global standing as the world's top 2 exporters in 3 very important sectors: defense products, agricultural goods, and services. Franco-American trade is also remarkable for its symmetry, as 6 of the top 10 exports are the same each way.

France has the sixth largest economy in the world after the U.S., Japan, Germany, China and England. In 2005, the economies of China, England and France were similar in size.

France is the second largest exporter of agricultural products in the world after the U.S.

In recent years, the U.S. has been the largest direct investor in France. In 2002, France was the second largest foreign investor in the U.S.

The world invests in France: in 2003, France was the second largest destination of foreign investment in the world.

French companies employ approximately 650,000 Americans. Among foreign countries doing business in the US, France employs the third largest number of Americans.

French is one of the languages spoken in the US: 1.9 million Americans speak French in the home. (2000 US Census)

Overall, the French export more per capita than the Japanese and more than twice as much as the Americans. France is overall, the fourth largest exporting nation of the world.

France is the world's leader in the production of luxury goods.

More tourists visit France than any other country in the world.

France gives more foreign aid per capita to developing nations than does the US.

Science and Technology

France will be the site of the world's first nuclear fusion reactor, the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor

Seven of France's top ten exports to the U.S. are industrial or high technology products.

France is the fourth largest producer of automobiles in the world (Renault, Peugeot, Citroën) and the third largest exporter.

France is fourth in research among countries of the Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation (after Japan, Germany, and the US).

France is a major world research center in the field of high energy physics.

The French are a world leader in medical research: the AIDS virus was first isolated by French doctors.

The French are a leader in medical genetics (the Human Genome Project is located in Paris).

The French are the world's third manufacturers of electronics equipment.

European leader in aerospace (Aérospatiale, Arianespace, Airbus...).

Most commercial satellites are put into space on French Ariane rockets.

The fastest train (TGV) is French.

The smart card was invented in France.

The ocean liner Queen Mary II was built in France.

France is the world's third military power (after the US and Russia), and has the world's second largest defense industry (i.e. exocet missiles, radar technology.)

The French have nearly 15,000 troups on peace-keeping duties in 15 countries including Afghanistan, the Balkans, and the Ivory Coast.

France is the world's second largest builder and exporter of civilian and military aircraft and helicopters (Airbus is the world's second largest fleet of commercial airliners, and many of the US Coast Guard helicopters are made by Aérospatiale in Toulouse.)

France has one of the most advanced systems of telecommunications in the world. Fiber optics were invented in France.

Importance of French in school and work

Historically France and the French language have had an enormous influence over American society. France was the United States' first ally. French thought played a dominant role among the founders of the United States in the 18th century, and it continues to shape America today through the influence of such intellectual currents as post-structuralism and post-modernism. In the humanities and the social sciences, many of the most important writings have come from France. Students and researchers who know French have access to these works for several years before they are translated into English. Many significant works are never translated and remain accessible only to those who know the language. In addition, most graduate schools require knowledge of at least one foreign language, and French remains the most commonly used language after English.

When employers and universities look at applicants, they do not start looking at the bottom of the list to see who has done only the minimal amount of requirements necessary or taken the easiest route available, they start at the top of the list and look for those students who have risen above the rest. High school students should consider studying at least four years of a foreign language. College students should seek to earn a minor in French or have French as a primary or secondary major. With French they have access to the most widely spoken foreign language in the world after English and they become familiar with a culture that significantly influences our own. The French economy is one of the strongest in the world and is increasingly a leader in technological innovation. In sum, French is the language of the future.

The French government has done an excellent job explaining all that France has to offer economically and debunking some of the myths about France. In 2002, France attracted more foreign investment than the US and was on a par with China. Whatever some in the United States think of France, the world invests its money in France.

So,
France is a major player on the European and world stage, and possesses a rich and sophisticated culture, while its language is more important than ever. As our nearest European neighbour, with whom we have shared a long and often tumultuous history for many centuries, the country, its language and culture are worthy of study. Indeed, studying a foreign language and culture offers the opportunity to not only extend our knowledge of foreign countries, but also to reflect upon our own culture through comparison with another. The study of French is therefore not just about studying the language. It also involves gaining a greater understanding of how the French think and interpret the world around them, including how they see us. Such cultural awareness is an increasingly important part of living in an expanding Europe, and can be of both intellectual and professional benefit.

Some people feel that, ‘Everybody speaks English so it’s not worth bothering to learn a foreign language’. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not everyone in French business speaks English, and even when they do, an ability to communicate in their own language will often bear fruit in easing the process of negotiating deals. Also, business transactions do not take place in a vacuum - clients often need to be entertained socially. Again, an ability to speak a foreign language and a good general understanding of the country can help to cement contacts and business relationships, likewise, if you are working in a public administration, closer European integration often means that the ability to work in a foreign language is an advantage.

Furthermore, through the study of the French language and aspects of its culture or society through optional subjects, you will gain more than just a knowledge of France and the French language. The study of these subjects will also improve your communication skills, both written and oral. An emphasis on both coursework essays and regular presentations and discussion in class will refine your intellectual skills and equip you with the ability to assess ideas and arguments accurately, and to present logical arguments to support a particular point of view, whether in writing or orally. An emphasis on computer assisted language work will also hone your IT skills, a valuable asset to have in today’s labour market.

Graduates in French go into all manner of career once they have finished their degree (see Career Opportunities). As a language graduate, you will also have the added advantage of being able to seek work abroad. Huw Edwards is a journalist and newsreader, Elizabeth Haywood is a 'Head Hunter' and Rafe Courage is a diplomat. Danielle Kent is a French lecturer in Plymouth University and David Roberts, a former European Union Studies graduate found employment in Reuters Geneva office, writing reports on stock markets around the world. Others go back to France on completion of their degree, often working as an English teacher. Some of these make their career in France, while others return to the UK after a few years to take up employment or further training. In effect, learning a foreign language broadens your horizons, at a practical as well as intellectual level.

Those who do well in their degree also have the possibility of continuing their education. Our students regularly secure places on postgraduate translating and interpreting courses. Alternatively, you could enrol on one of the School of European Studies’ MA programmes and extend your knowledge of France while drawing comparisons from other European cultures. The School of European Studies also encourages students to carry on to study for a PhD, and supervision in numerous areas of French Studies is available within the School.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
>>Why study Spanish?<<

So you can talk to the maid and the landscaper? Is that a trick question?

>>1.Who's learning Spanish these days? For instance, residents of the United States, a bunch not known for conquering monoligualism, are studying Spanish in record numbers.<<

Nothing changes. We've had languages taught here in the United States for years. However no one ever becomes fluent.

>>2. Spanish, too, is becoming of greater importance in Europe, where it is often the foreign language of choice after English.<<

What a misleading statement. In Europe that most important languages are English, French, and German, and these are the most learned second languages. Spanish isn't even the most spoken or official language in its own country. There are parts where one can go and be in trouble if they don't know Catalan.

>>3. And it's no wonder that Spanish is a popular second or third language: with some 450 million speakers, it's the fourth most commonly spoken language in the world (after English, Chinese and Hindustani), and according to some counts it has more native speakers than English does. It is an official language on five continents and is of historical importance elsewhere.'
The numbers alone makes Spanish a good choice for those wanting to learn another tongue. But there are plenty of other reasons to learn Spanish.<<

The numbers alone show that Hispanics fuck and reproduce like animals. It doesn't mean their language is important.

>>4. Better understanding of English: Much of the vocabulary of English has Latin origins. Since Spanish is also a Latin language, you will find as you study Spanish that you have a better understanding of your native vocabulary. Similarly, both Spanish and English share Indo-European roots, so their grammars are similar. There is perhaps no more effective way to learn English grammar than by studying the grammar of another language, for the study forces you to think about how your language is structured. It's not unusual, for example, to gain an understanding of English verbs' tenses and moods by learning how those verbs are used in Spanish.<<

You forgot to mention that most English words come directly from French. The ties between English and French are much stronger. Heck an English speaker would be better off learning Latin or Greek if they want a "better understanding" of English.

>>5.Knowing USA people: Not all that many years ago, the Spanish-speaking population of the United States was confined to the Mexican border states, Florida and New York City. But no more. Even where I live, less than 100 kilometers from the Canadian border, there are Spanish-speaking people living on the same street as I do. Knowing Spanish has proven invaluable in speaking with other residents of my town who don't know English.<<

As long as you speak English, you can get around in the United States. The people who matter speak English, the people who don't matter speak Spanish.

>>6. Travel: Yes, it is perfectly possible to visit Mexico, Spain and even Ecuatorial Guinea without speaking a word of Spanish. But it isn't nearly half as much fun. I remember about two decades ago — when my Spanish was much less adequate than it is today — when I met some mariachis on top of one of the pyramids near Mexico City. Because I spoke (albeit limited) Spanish, they wrote down the words for me so I could sing along. It turned out to be one of my most memorable travel experiences, and one unlike most tourists have the opportunity to enjoy. Time and time again while traveling in Mexico, Central America and South America I have had doors opened to me simply because I speak Spanish, allowing me to see and do things that many other visitors do not.<<

Great! The same things can be said about French in Africa or Europe, Chinese in China, Russian in Russia, and the list goes on forever.

>>7. Cultural understanding: While most of us (Pope John Paul II may be an exception) can't hope to learn the languages of more than one or two cultures other than that of our own, those that we can learn help us to learn how other people learn and think. When I read Latin American or Spanish newspapers, for example, I often find that I gain a sense of how other people think and feel, a way that is different than my own. Spanish also offers a wealth of literature, both modern and traditional.<<

Great! The same things can be said about French in Africa or Europe, German in Europe, Chinese in China, Russian in Russia, and the list goes on forever.

>>8. Learning other languages: If you can learn Spanish, you'll have a head start in learning the other Latin-based languages such as French and Italian. And it will even help you learn Russian and German, since they too have Indo-European roots and have some characteristics (such as gender and extensive conjugation) that are present in Spanish but not English. And I wouldn't be surprised if learning Spanish might even help you learn Japanese or any other non-Indo-European language, since intensive learning the structure of a language can give you a reference point for learning others.<<

Same can be said about French or German.

>>9. It's easy: Spanish is one of the easiest foreign languages to learn. Much of its vocabulary is similar to English's, and written Spanish is almost completely phonetic: Look at almost any Spanish word and you can tell how it is pronounced. And while mastering the grammar of Spanish can be a challenge, basic grammar is straightforward enough that you can have meaningful communication after only a few lessons.<<

It's easy because it's a language by dummies, for dummies.

>>10. Spanish is the mother tongue of approximately 390 million people in 25 countries (Mexico: 98 million, Spain: 39 million, USA: 39 million, Argentina: 35 million, Colombia: 36 million, Venezuela: 22 million, Peru: 20 million…) It is also widely spoken in many more where it is not an official language.<<

This is a lie. There are not 39 million Spanish speaking Americans, and even if that number were right, at least half of them speak English.

>>11.Spanish is the second most used language in international communication, and an official language of the UN and its organisations<<

This is another lie. Spanish carries no importance in international organizations like NATO, EU, IOC, UEFA, and the list goes on. As for the U.N., the working languages of the most important bodies, the Secretariat and the Security Council, are English and French.

>>12. "The world is rapidly becoming multilingual and Arabic and Spanish are both key languages of the future" said language researcher David Graddol, commenting on a recent report presented to the British Council<<

He also said English and Chinese are just as important. Of course that's just one man's biased opinion.

>>13. The US Census Bureau reports that the nation's Hispanic population is expected to jump to 49.3 million from 38.2 million by 2015. The 39 million Hispanics currently living in the USA make up 12.5% of the total population. This population growth has increased demand for Spanish language media: radio, television, newspapers, magazines...<<

Yes, and most of those people will have to learn English. And the second and third generations will be English speakers, some won't even speak a word of Spanish.

>>14. Latin American countries are experiencing strong economic growth and becoming important global commercial partners. Newly created MERCOSUR and the existing free trade agreements between Hispanic countries and North America (ALADI, the Andean Community, CACM, NAFTA, G3), are expected to bring further growth to Latin American economies<<

Spanish speaking countries are expected to lose ground in the future to languages like French and German, while Chinese passes up everyone except English. Also, there are no Spanish speaking members of the G8, and of the fastest growing countries (India, China, Brazil, Russia), none speak Spanish.

>>15. Latin culture continues to have a global influence on architecture, art and literature.<<

Not as much as other cultures, even with less speakers!

>>Who isn't familiar with Cervantes 'Don Quijote de la Mancha, the second most translated book after the Bible, which marked its 400th anniversary in 2005 with worldwide celebrations?<<

Cervantes was an Englishman, a pseudonym used by Francis Bacon.

>>Who hasn't heard that the most expensive painting ever sold is a Picasso?<<

One person, one small example.

>>Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava continues to make his mark worldwide, with recent and current projects in Sweden, Ireland, Germany, the Olympic campus in Athens and the site of the world trade centre in New York, among others.<<

He's one person. And I know for a fact that he's not designing the new World Trade Center in New York City. He's designing the train station. And how come his offices are in Switzerland? Can't he be successful in Spain or Latin America?

>>Spanish language authors like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende continue to lead global best seller lists and win international critical acclaim.<<

Well you do have one point there. But I'll read their books in English.