FRENCH or SPANISH?

Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
This is telling. Countries of the U.N. were asked which language they would like to receive correspondence in. Only 19 chose Spanish, while 36 chose French!

http://www.geneva.ch/Lang.htm
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm GMT
" As our nearest European neighbour "

I suppose you are from UK;
nearest European neighbour ? excepted the little region of Nord-pas-de-Calais, most of France is quite far from England, and does not even have border with it.

To me the nearest European country to UK is firstly Ireland, geographically and culturally. Then Netherlands and Belgium.

I tend to see the north see countries as the closest neigbour of the UK. share a same geography, same latitudes, similar climates and close cultures

http://www.interact-eu.net/download/image/jpeg/1109383
Eurostar!   Wed May 30, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
<<<<<<<
This is telling. Countries of the U.N. were asked which language they would like to receive correspondence in. Only 19 chose Spanish, while 36 chose French!
>>>>>>>

One example of the importance of French can be seen in a recent listing of international jobs (8/29/06) distributed by the US State Department: 135 required or preferred French, 49 Spanish, 25 a UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish), 6 Arabic, 6 Russian, 2 German, 2 Italian , and Chinese 2.

<<
" As our nearest European neighbour "

I suppose you are from UK;
nearest European neighbour ? excepted the little region of Nord-pas-de-Calais, most of France is quite far from England, and does not even have border with it.
>>

It is necessary to say the truth, if we had known that Netherlands were more close (geographicaly) to England than France, I think that we would have built a Eurotunnel Rotterdam-Dover, rather than Calais-Dover...

<<To me the nearest European country to UK is firstly Ireland, geographically and culturally. Then Netherlands and Belgium>>

Culturally, in France there is a land named Britanny, and it's so close culturally with Ireland, Wales etc... (it's a celtic region).
Normandy is very close to England, too... historically, culturally, climatically and geographically.

<<I tend to see the north see countries as the closest neigbour of the UK. share a same geography, same latitudes, similar climates and close cultures >>

Yes, obviously.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 7:36 pm GMT
Well, if you want to be Diplomatic you can choose the language of these disgusting Frogs. Spanish is not official in some organizations as Postal Union, but it is official in the most important organizations: UNO, UNESCO, WTO, WHO, OSCE, OAS, FAO, etc.

Economically, Spanish is more important than French. You can see the next figures:

Population of NAFTA (USA, Canada and Mexico) + EUROPEAN UNION + JAPAN (more spoken languages):

1. English: some 380 million people

2. Spanish: some 200 million people

3. Japanese: 128 million people

4. German: some 100 million people

5. French: some 80 million people.

Spanish is second and French is 5th.

A little comparison between Spanish and French:

1.Most spoken language as mother tongue: Spanish

2.Most spoken language as total speakers: Spanish

3.Most countries as mother tongue: Spanish

4.Most important economically: Spanish

5.Most important in Internet: Spanish

6.Most studied language: Spanish

7.Most useful language to travel: Spanish

8. Most useful in USA: Spanish

9. Most useful in Diplomatic organizations: OK, Frogs, is French.

10. More countries as official: OK, Frogs, French.

Spanish 8- French 2
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 pm GMT
>>Well, if you want to be Diplomatic you can choose the language of these disgusting Frogs. Spanish is not official in some organizations as Postal Union, but it is official in the most important organizations: UNO, UNESCO, WTO, WHO, OSCE, OAS, FAO, etc.<<

I already showed you that French was a more importan

Economically, Spanish is more important than French. You can see the next figures:

>>Population of NAFTA (USA, Canada and Mexico) + EUROPEAN UNION + JAPAN (more spoken languages):

1. English: some 380 million people

2. Spanish: some 200 million people

3. Japanese: 128 million people

4. German: some 100 million people

5. French: some 80 million people.

Spanish is second and French is 5th.<<

Please tell me how you came to 200 million speakers in that group? First of all, it's suspicious that you would even include Mexico, because it is not on par economically with Japan, USA, Mexico, or Western Europe. Second of all, I think you're including Spanish speakers in that group that don't belong, like counting all of Spain, and counting parts of the United States.

>>1.Most spoken language as mother tongue: Spanish

2.Most spoken language as total speakers: Spanish

3.Most countries as mother tongue: Spanish<<

Irrelevant. Those numbers mean nothing more except that Hispanics fuck and reproduce like filthy animals.

>>4.Most important economically: Spanish<<

Barely, and it's losing ground every year.

>>5.Most important in Internet: Spanish<<

False, look simply at the homepage of wikipedia:

http://www.wikipedia.org/

The rest of the internet is just the same, there are most French language pages on the World Wide Web than Spanish pages.

>>6.Most studied language: Spanish<<

That's a lie, French is the second-most studied second language in the world behind English.

>>7.Most useful language to travel: Spanish<<

Wrong again, it all depends on where you want to go. If you want to go anywhere other than parts of South or Central America, you better learn French or English.

>>8. Most useful in USA: Spanish<<

Only useful in the United States to tell your housekeeper or landscaper what to do. Americans speak English, it is the PRIMARY language, and dominant in every aspect of life.

>>9. Most useful in Diplomatic organizations: OK, Frogs, is French.<<

Yep.

>>10. More countries as official: OK, Frogs, French.<<

Yep.

>>Spanish 8- French 2<<

Spanish wins the least important categories! Siesta!
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
You are wrong

Spanish is more important in Internet. Spanish is third and French is 6th.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

Spanish, according to this web, is the most useful language to travel, after English. This expert say that after Spanish the most useful languages are Mandarin, Russian and Arabic. French is useless.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000145.html

Spanish 8- French 2
greg   Wed May 30, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
Selçuk : tu devrais apprendre les deux langues et non une seulement.
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 11:31 pm GMT
Is it possible every forum goes into shit among the usual few idiots? All forums end with an argument among the languages of Krautis, Frogs, Pigs, Hamburgers and Paellas
Ufff...
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 11:41 pm GMT
<<You are wrong

Spanish is more important in Internet. Spanish is third and French is 6th.>>

No, I am right, there are more pages in French on the internet. There may be more Spanish speakers who use the internet, but that doesn't mean they're more important.

<<Spanish, according to this web, is the most useful language to travel, after English. This expert say that after Spanish the most useful languages are Mandarin, Russian and Arabic. French is useless.>>

First of all, it's just one man's opinion. Second of all, he didn't say that French was useless. You're just using selective information to try and prove your silly point.
Franco   Thu May 31, 2007 12:05 am GMT
I think definately Spanish should be learned. It has great importance in the world of Culture, and Science. Great thinkers are from Spain and Latin America, who have shaped world to its whim!

French is a language of great status, yet practical is not so important. You may feel like the Educated-Man of the year, but it will not make you Rich-Man of the year, like Spanish Will.
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 am GMT
>>I think definately Spanish should be learned. It has great importance in the world of Culture, and Science. Great thinkers are from Spain and Latin America, who have shaped world to its whim!<<

You greatly exaggerate Spanish's contributions to this category. For as many people have been born Spanish speakers, there is very little to offer by way of culture and science, at least not in comparison to English, French, or German.

>>French is a language of great status, yet practical is not so important.<<

French carries a lot of importance, it has been shown time and time again on this thread.

>>You may feel like the Educated-Man of the year, but it will not make you Rich-Man of the year, like Spanish Will.<<

You're right, if you speak Spanish, you'll be able to exploit Hispanics for their cheap labor and make a lot of money. But other than that, there is very little economic reason to learn Spanish. If you want to be "Rich-man of the Year" whatever the hell that is, you'd be best off perfecting your English and learning the languages that the power people speak (French, Chinese, Russian).
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 2:09 am GMT
Its funny how the person who said that Spanish was more important than French was not even Hispanic, and the only one defending French is in fact French...
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 2:21 am GMT
<< You may feel like the Educated-Man of the year, but it will not make you Rich-Man of the year, like Spanish Will. >>

It's pretty sad and pathetic how you value material wealth more than knowledge and education.
There you go, that's Spanish versus French... and it was you who said it.

<< nearest European neighbour ? >>

Yes, it is.

<< excepted the little region of Nord-pas-de-Calais, most of France is quite far from England, and does not even have border with it. >>

Actually, even Nord-pas-de-Calais does not have borders with England... because last time I checked, England (and in effect, Great Britain) was an island.

<< To me the nearest European country to UK is firstly Ireland, geographically and culturally. >>

Wrong... The nearest country to England is France, geographically.
Belgium is the second nearest country to England and UK... then Ireland.

Ireland is the nearest country to SCOTLAND, second nearest to UK, and third nearest to England.

<< Then Netherlands and Belgium >>

Wrong, Belgium is closer to England and UK than the Netherlands.
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 2:59 am GMT
CORRECTION ~
It's actually worse than I thought...

France is the closest country to England.
Belgium is the second closest country to England.
Ireland is the third closest country to England.
The Netherlands is the fourth closest country to England. (almost same distance as Ireland)

Ireland is the closest country to the UK.
France is the second closest country to the UK.
Begium is the third closest country to the UK.
The Netherlands is the fourth closest country to the UK.
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 4:08 am GMT
>>Its funny how the person who said that Spanish was more important than French was not even Hispanic, and the only one defending French is in fact French...<<

I'm an American, and I've been here defending French the whole time. Go figure.