Languages of the "Educated"?

K. T.   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:43 pm GMT
Middle-class Mexicans learn Spanish, English and French. What do they know that some of the forum members don't? Learn all THREE, folks.

Sheesh. How much effort does it take to learn another romance language after you have learned one pretty well? The answer is: NOT MUCH.

I can't believe all this silly arguing over those cousins- French and Spanish.
Motumba   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm GMT
Yes. I agree. It is a shame!!!

We are beginning to speak Arabic and English because French is disgusting, and less important.

French is synonimous of poor people in Africa and the Americas. I am ashamed of my second language. So, I will write better in English.
Adolf   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
"Sheesh. How much effort does it take to learn another romance language after you have learned one pretty well? The answer is: NOT MUCH. "
Don't be so confident, despite speaking a romance language, it is a pain to learn so many verb conjugations.
Clovis   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
Yes. French is synonimous of poor people in Africa and the Americas. And we know that is the less spoken of international languages. In the near future, French will disapear in Africa and in the Americas. It is a pleasure!!!!

I will study Arabic, English and Spanish to travel around the world and to speak to French people too.
François   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:49 pm GMT
Yes. French is the educated language of the poor people in Africa and in the Americas. It is a shame!!!

Well, I would like to give more money to African countries. I hate them, but at least they dont come to France.

Adieu!!!
Adolf   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:52 pm GMT
"Yes. French is the educated language of the poor people in Africa and in the Americas. It is a shame!!! "

Also Cambodia and Laos, both 4th world countries, are members of the francophonie, and those islands in the Pacific colored as 4th world countries I suspect they speak French also.
Guest   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:55 pm GMT
Wow!!! That´s incredible!!! French Africa and Haiti (French America) are the poorest countries in the world. You can see that in this webpage. That´s the QUATRIEME MONDE!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_Developed_Countries

At the same time, there are several Hispanics countries that we can consider develop countries according to this webpage. There are 63 countries with high developed index. 9 of them are Hispanic: Spain, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, and USA (Hispanics).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index#endnote_2

The top ten bottom (the less developed countries in all the world) are very interested: there are 7 French African members
K. T.   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:04 pm GMT
"Don't be so confident, despite speaking a romance language, it is a pain to learn so many verb conjugations.'

Once you start listening to people, to movies, the radio, tapes, podcasts- you HEAR the conjugations in real life. I guess my approach to languages is non-academic, or I use the grammar as a tool combined with the fun of a new culture.

If you don't like French culture, people etc., I imagine that it will be difficult for you to learn the language of your "cousin"...

I understand these kind of language roadblocks.
Adolf   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:07 pm GMT
I don't understand why you suppose French are my cousins. Are the germans your cousins?

Portugueses and italians are my cousins to me.
K. T.   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:11 pm GMT
Uh, because of your common ancestor: Latin.

Yes, German is my cousin, and French is related to me as well.
Adolf   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
I don't recognize them as my cousins anyway ,and many spaniards too . So in reality that subtle nexus means nothing, there are things more important that where the languages come from. I suppose you are a american or german ancestry because in England if you say Germans are their counsins you can be in trouble.
Guest   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
Zbigniew B. spoke German, Russian, English and French fluently. This are pretty much your "languages of educated". But I was refering to him as a politician using the term fourth world. Anyway his voice is sound and so is the reasoning. Let me quote:

"It is also a fact that America is too democratic at home to be autocratic abroad. This limits the use of America's power, especially its capacity for military intimidation. Never before has a populist democracy attained international supremacy. But the pursuit of power is not a goal that commands popular passion, except in conditions of a sudden threat or challenge to the public's sense of domestic well-being. The economic self-denial (that is, defense spending) and the human sacrifice (casualties, even among professional soldiers) required in the effort are uncongenial to democratic instincts. Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization."
* The Grand Chessboard (1997)

And:

"The president himself has to make, in a speech addressed to the nation, a careful, reasoned case, without sloganeering, on the specifics of the threat. Detailed evidence needs to be presented that the threat is both grave and imminent. An explanation is also needed as to why one member of 'the axis of evil' is seen as more menacing than the others."
* On George W. Bush's axis of evil and the war on terror
K. T.   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:39 pm GMT
I am speaking of connections between languages, of course.

Yes, I'm an American. Whether you recognize French as your language cousin or not, linguists will see it that way.

Say you have an Uncle who is a drunk and in jail. You don't like him, but he's your Dad's brother and any genetic testing should show that yep, you are related.
Guest   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
Adolf, British royal family is German if you didn't know. So, think again
Adolf   Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
Yes I know, and you could have said a better thing: Spanish Royal Family is French, but it is not important at all.

Curiously, Windsor surname is not the orginal one of the British Royal Family, why they changed from the former, more german sounding?