LL and Y distinction

JGreco   Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 am GMT
Wow I haven't heard a distinction between LL/Y in a long time. I remember when I was young my Panamanian grandmother made this distinction and that was the norm in her generation. Know in Panama the pronunciation is somewhere between a "dj" sound and a "zh" sound similar to either the "j" sound of English or the "s" sound in the English word "leisure". I don't know when this change occurred but I at least know that both LL/Y are pronounced the same in Panama.
Ian   Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:52 am GMT
I once watched a clip in Youtube about a town, one half of it in Spain and the other half in Portugal.
An elderly man there made a distinction between LL and Y.
Meesh, if I find it again, I'll let you know.

I also made a distinction for a long time (I learned Spanish as a foreign language), but now I use the "SH" sound for both because I spent much time with Argentinians.
Meesh   Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:15 am GMT
Okay, so I get the impression that one of them is pronounced like the French J and one of them like the American Y. Which is which?
furrykef   Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:17 am GMT
"LL" would be the J-like sound, and "Y" would be the, well, y-like sound.
Meesh   Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 am GMT
Hola, me jjjjjamo Yyyyolanda y yyyyyo jjjjjorro mucho porque mis ojos son jjjjjjjenos de lagrimas.

Random question: Is it spelt "yierbas" or "hierbas?" I've seen it spelt both ways, but I pronounce them differently.
Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 am GMT
LL sounds like Italian gli and Y like in English, for example in "you".
Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:13 am GMT
Me gustaría lamer algo parecido a una paleta de hielo para poder pronunciar mejor la diferencia entre estos dos sonidos. Creo que saber chupar bien un miembro así es muy importante porque te ayuda a formar las palabras, manipulando los labios de la manera necesaria para que los sonidos salgan correctamente. Ya no puedo decir más porque mi boca ya está llena, ya me está ahogando ya, ayúdenme ya ya ya! Creo que es una buena manera de identificar a quien le gusta este tipo de actividad, si alguien pronuncia bien la diferencia, pues es seguro que es maestro del chupar de miembros, mientras más clara la distinción, más grande el miembro que chupa.
Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:23 am GMT
An aproximation of the correct pronunciation of LL would be the pair "Li". For example liuvia or liave.
Rodrigo   Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:16 pm GMT
In Spanish Y is pronounced like an English J, a hard sound, like in John, Jar, Justice. Ll is supposed to be like the English Y in young or yell, but nowadays it's mostly pronounced like the Spanish Y.

Ll is also similar to an Italian gli and Y to an Italian g before e or I.

BTW, Ll is one letter, though by petition of UNESCO we alphabetize like English, French, etc. so we only write the first L as a capital unless all of the text is written in capitals. Same goes with Ch.

Lluvia, Llorar, BIENVENIDO A LOS LLANOS.
Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
I don't think that Ll is similar to the English Y. It is similar to the English ll like in million.
furrykef   Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
<< Random question: Is it spelt "yierbas" or "hierbas?" I've seen it spelt both ways, but I pronounce them differently. >>

I strongly suspected "hierbas", and that is the only form my dictionaries have. Must be it. The thing with the Spanish language is that it's so phonetic that the few cases that are not straightforwardly phonetic trip up a lot of native speakers. A while ago I came across translations of some Archie comics into Spanish, and just about every single word that could be misspelled was misspelled. Shameful, considering it was supposed to be an official translation!

<< In Spanish Y is pronounced like an English J, a hard sound, like in John, Jar, Justice. Ll is supposed to be like the English Y in young or yell, but nowadays it's mostly pronounced like the Spanish Y. >>

Huh, I thought it's the other way around. But I guess you'd know better than I would.

- Kef
Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:39 pm GMT
It is spelled hierbas, and pronounced hierbas, but some people pronounce it like "yerbas". It is wrong and only accepted in informal situations.
JGreco   Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
Both "LL" and "Y" can both either have a "J" or "zh" or even a "Ly as in Million" or simply a "Y" sound it just depends on the region that the particular speaker of Castellano comes from. If he/she is from Argentina they could have either a "sh", "zh", or a "y" depending on whether they are from the Rio Platense region or somewhere like Mendoza. If you are from around the Caribbean you either will have a "j" or a "zh" sound whether you are from Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, or Panama. If you are from Spain, Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador The rest of Central America, or the Highlands of Colombia or Venezuela (Caribbean coasts of both countries are Caribbean speaking) you will most likely use the standard "Y" sound for both pronunciations but I have also heard them in a very few instances use a "j" sound or a "Ly" sound from these regions so it really depends on the region they're from to what pronunciation you here.
Gabriel   Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:08 pm GMT
<<It is spelled hierbas, and pronounced hierbas, but some people pronounce it like "yerbas". It is wrong and only accepted in informal situations>>

My two rioplatense cents: "Hierba" (Herbs) is pronounced [je4Ba]. "Yerba" is the tea from which "mate" is prepared (Ilex paraguariensis) and it is pronounced [Ze4Ba] or [Se4Ba].

<<In Spanish Y is pronounced like an English J, a hard sound, like in John, Jar, Justice. Ll is supposed to be like the English Y in young or yell, but nowadays it's mostly pronounced like the Spanish Y. >>

Actually, if by "supposed to be" you mean the traditional sound, then [L] should be a palatal lateral approximant, not like the English Y. The rest of your statement is certainly not universal, I do not pronounce "Y" like an English [dZ].
Ian   Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
JGreco, do you know more about the speech of Mendoza?
If yes, I'd like to ask you some things.

Have you been to Mendoza or somewhere around there?

As for the pronunciation, as I said before, now I use an SH sound for both Y and LL.

Saludos,

Ian