some languages more beautiful than others?

Oyster   Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:18 am GMT
I lovee English. It sounds nice and Japanese as well as Thai and Myanmar...
but i don't really like the sound and tone of French and Mandarin... ^^:;;
Sami Æddnan   Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
Sami rocks!
a.p.a.m.   Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
I believe that French and Italian vie for the top spot as far as beautiful languages go. Romanian, as far as I know, is a manufactured language. The people of what is now Romania spoke a predominantly Slavic language until the 19th century. It wasn't until the late 1800's that Romanian intellectuals deliberately altered Romanian severely by inserting numerous Latin words into their lexicon, and at the same time, removing the numerous Slavic words that had naturally woven their way into the Romanian language. Spanish is lovely. Portuguese is very sweet. As far as I'm concerned, the western Romance languages of French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish are the most beautiful languages to the ear. They are the true descendants of Latin.
greg   Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:52 pm GMT
a.p.a.m. : « Romanian, as far as I know, is a manufactured language. »

Si cela était vrai — mais je te rassure : c'est faux — c'est sans conteste l'anglais qui obtiendrait la palme de l'artifice, non ?
a.p.a.m.   Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
Simply put, Latin has five daughters. The four beautiful, natural born daughters are French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. The ugly stepchild is Romanian.
suomalainen   Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
Romanian is no stepchild, it is a true daughter of Latin, as also Catalan, Occitan, Sardian and Romanche. One daughter lives further away, and is therefore more different, and some daughters are smaller than others, but not therefore less daughters.
I like many Finno-Ugric languages, as they are often in a nice way different from my mother tongue (Finnish). Sámegiella lea gollegiella, dan lea suohtas gullat ja hállat (Saami is a gold language, it is nice to listen and speak). The almost extinct Votic has funny soft sounds: Miä õlõn õikõõ tshippõa (I am very ill; Finnish: Minä olen oikein kipeä); Tshehs-tshezällä tshävvää õssamassa ärttshä (In midsummer they go to buy an ox; Finnish: keskikesällä käydään ostamassa härkä).
Viri Amaoro   Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
Of course one must not forget that French, Spanish and Portuguese have non-european (and majority) variants. When someone says Italian is beautiful, we know what kind of Italian he/she is speaking about. But when you mention Portuguese, f. examp., do you mean european or brazilian portuguese? Or african (yes, there is an african portuguese). Do you like best "canadien" or european french? From France, Belgium or Switzerland?
When talking about wich languages sound more beautiful we should consider exactly which variants we are talking about.
By the way, one of my favourite languages is SWEDISH. It sounds VERY beautiful, especialy when LIV ULMAN speaks...
Pipo   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 am GMT
//Of course one must not forget that French, Spanish and Portuguese have non-european (and majority) variants.When someone says Italian is beautiful, we know what kind of Italian he/she is speaking about.//

Italian variants:

Tuscan, Abruzzese, Pugliese (Apulian), Umbrian, Laziale, Central Marchigiano, Cicolano-Reatino-Aquilano, and Molisan, Piemontese, Lombard, Ligurian, Emiliano-Romagnolo, Venetian, Friulian, Neapolitan-Calabrian or Tricalabrian Sicilian and Calabrian and Sardinian.

Italian from:Italy,Switzerland, San Marino, Slovenia (regional language), Vatican City, or Istria county of Croatia.

What kind of Italian are you speaking about?
Viri Amaoro   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:32 am GMT
I was talking about standard variants, not regional variants. Brazil is a huge country, so when we say "brazilian portuguese" we are talking about the everyday tv-speech of educated brazilians, speaking portuguese with their brazilian accent and expressions.
In that case we don´t talk about amazonian portuguese brazilian (p.b.), northeast p.b, bahia p.b., centro-oeste p.b, paulistano p.b., carioca p.b., sul p.b. etc etc.
You get my point. Standard variants, not regional ones. European vs. Overseas variants, not regional variants within a given country.
Pipo   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:52 am GMT
//Overseas variants, not regional variants within a given country.//

What is the point? You can have more differences in regional varieties than in Standard varieties; the differences in accent and expressions can be bigger in regional varieties.
Viri Amaoro   Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:47 am GMT
Well, of course you can have more differences in regional varieties, but I was just answering a post above about "wich language sounds better". Language, in a general sense, as in a standard, accepted variety. Just talking about sounds.
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:35 am GMT
>>>>>>I believe that French and Italian vie for the top spot as far as beautiful languages go. Romanian, as far as I know, is a manufactured language. The people of what is now Romania spoke a predominantly Slavic language until the 19th century. It wasn't until the late 1800's that Romanian intellectuals deliberately altered Romanian severely by inserting numerous Latin words into their lexicon, and at the same time, removing the numerous Slavic words that had naturally woven their way into the Romanian language. Spanish is lovely. Portuguese is very sweet. As far as I'm concerned, the western Romance languages of French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish are the most beautiful languages to the ear. They are the true descendants of Latin. >>>>

I agree. It's historical fact. Well done.
Ruben   Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
El español de España es atractivo y serio a diferencia del español que se habla en paises como Mexico colombia etc que te dan ganas de reir cuando lo escuchas.
Guest   Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:56 am GMT
I agree. It's historical fact. Well done.

That's not even close to being a historical fact.
In order to determine the origins of a language you have to look at what is called the "core-vocabulary", and then, to any words that did not enter that language in a scholary way. The new loan-words have no relevance as to the "genetics" of a language.
It is true:Romanian suffered an important Slavic influence; but French suffered a no less important Germanic influence. Does that make in a non-Romance language? According to your own criteria it should.
Western Romance languages may look more Latin, but, in fact, they are not more Latin than Romanian. They are the same. The difference is that, while Western Romance languages, because of the political and religious context, have continuously borrowed new words from Medieval Latin, even after their "birth", Romanian, because of a totally different context, has borrowed from Slavonic. And it is true that during the 19th century Romanian has been largely purged of late Slavonic loan-words, their place having been taken by Latin or French loan-words.
However, the regional patois still preserve many of those Slavic/Slavonic words, along with many other words of Latin origin that have not make through to entering the "Standard Romanian".
At the same time, there are many old Slavic loan-words that have entered
the core-vocabulary of Romanian, such as: drag (dear), prieten (friend), iubi (to love), vorbi (talk, speak) and many others. However, about 70-80% of the standard Romanian's core-vocabulary is of Latin origin.
a.p.a.m.   Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:04 pm GMT
Then you could say that the original language spoken in what is now Romania was Dacian(a language that was related to the ancient Illyrian). You could also say that the origin of French is Celtic, since the original speakers of French were Celtic Gauls.