English People...

Candy   Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 am GMT
<<And where's that pic you promised us before Christmas, by the way? (tapping foot) >>

Oh yeah, I did promise that, didn't I?? Hmm.....let's see....
Candy   Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:56 am GMT
I have an avatar!! Yay for me! I feel like a technological genius. :-)
Drunkie   Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:22 am GMT
English people are by far my favourite foreigners. Friendly and humorous, as far as I have observed.
The English do drink a lot of alcohol, though, which clearly distinguishes them from on-the-wagon arrogant bores that most Americans are. 'Most', not 'all', I emphasise.
Non TT Damian   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
Drunkie: Is it just the friendly intemperate English you have a passion for? If it includes us equally friendly sottish Scots as well, then I'll buy you a pint or two...or three...or more...of whatever you fancy and a chaser chucked in as well. Humour is a way of life here, pissed up or dead cold sober, makes no diff .....I'll tell you some good jokes as well, if you like.
citizen   Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:36 am GMT
I agree w/B RAd G on his/her viewpoints about not generalising people until you have personally taken time to know them as a group compromising more than an 1/8 of the nation.

Every culture has its positive and displeasing stereotypes. For example the following: g=good points, b=bad points

British(as a whole Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh)
g= intelligent, witty, well-read, interested in different cultures, not as insular as some other European nations towards foreigners, great dry sense of humour, very good at music/arts/literature, open-minded as a European nation looking to other cultures for influence yet retaining their own culture rich in history and traditions

b= weather (not their fault), cynical attitude in general, sometimes takes their humour to far to the point of ridiculing someone, the tabloid media influencing the general public, high costs of living, miserable predictament of outcomes based on their overanalytical nature, prone to severe depressions, not very good at romantic relationships as witnessed by many single mothers and divorces here (the highest in Europe and quite possibly the world), dysfunctional relationships with immediate families, a certain acceptable form of 'coldness' in order to deal w/disagreements, certain foods that shouldn't be considered foods ie jellied eels, beans on toast, tinned spaghetti on toast, blackcurrant as a flavour for sweets, soft drinks, bnp, the sun newspaper, channel 5, the conservative party

I have focused more on the Brits as this is what I am familiar with. For the other nationalities I will be more brief and am open to other opinions:

French
g= love and passion of things in general down to the last detail ; politics, art, love, food, wine, fashion etc...), very romantic, very charming, a certain joie de vivre lacking in anglo-saxon culture, not guilty of feeling frivolous or indulging in smoking, relaxing, not working very much. good educational system pre-university where many are very well-rounded individuals

b= mistresses (I'm sorry but I hope this chauvinistic tradition dies out), chauvinists, too much pride, lacking in humour at times, fiery tempers, arrogant

Germans
g= orderly, clear about messages, direct in explanation, good beer/bread,cars, electronic goods, football

b= lack charm, are blunt, can be more cold than the English and more racist, apparently german men are not very popular for women

well that's it for now, i've got to get some sleep. will update later.

ta for now!
Thommo   Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:40 am GMT
"Hey, the sun shines like a furnace down here at the 32nd parallel"

Brrrr! From 27S, 32 degrees from the equator sounds as cold as it does in Fahrenheit.
Uriel   Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:30 am GMT
I live at about 32 degrees north. It's not that cold.
Saar   Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:48 am GMT
Citizen, I guess what you have written are just typical sterotypes.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:00 pm GMT
***b= weather (not their fault)***

Thank goodness for that...at least we've found something we're not being blamed for. Anyway, our weather may be a blessing in disguise.....it's never (or hardly ever) extreme, it's equable, it's mild, it's tame, it's gentle, it's hardly ever too hot, it's hardly ever too cold, it's temperate, it's......just a f(BLEEP)ing nuisance. Hey, the skies do clear to sparkling blue more often than you think...sometimes for several days at a strect.....and the countryside.......! Green could never be greener if it tried. Why do you think we have bred so many lyrical poets?

As I write this the forecasting lady on TV is promising white stuff to fall on Edinburgh. It's not her fault.
Damian   Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
strect = stretch
Cassie   Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:22 pm GMT
Hey, how do you guys think of English slang?
Rob   Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:44 am GMT
Hey

Hi fellow english speakers!

Just a note even though I live in Canada where we like to pretened to be and speak english (...mabye not the frogs in Quebec) . I personally referer to the language I am typing now as American ... discuss
Travis   Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 am GMT
>>Just a note even though I live in Canada where we like to pretened to be and speak english (...mabye not the frogs in Quebec) . I personally referer to the language I am typing now as American ... discuss<<

The matter is that most North American English and many southeastern English English dialects (and especially Received Pronunciation, which is effectively a very highly idealized and formalized southeastern English English dialect) are still way too crossintelligible to call them anything but the same language.
Ted   Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:20 am GMT
"I personally referer to the language I am typing now as American"

Quite rightly too, Rob, although why you chose it is of interest. Mind you, Travis is also correct in stating that if you use English you can also understand what you have termed American, and vice versa. There seems little resistance to the American version, so I suspect that it will not only be common worldwide, but will be called American within a few decades.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:25 pm GMT
Acually, I think it's a good idea for the American version of English to be officially called American, making it a cleary defined official Language of the United States of America. There is British English, Australian English, Canadian English, South African English..and so on.....and then there is American.

Don't chuckle, but some people really do think that way. There is a store here in Edinburgh which as a sign in it's widow saying: "We speak French, German, Dutch, Italian, American". :-) If anyone visiting this fair city cares to look it up it's on Hanover St, corner of George St.