English People...

Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
I see, a case of split personalities. You can receive help, you know. Don’t suffer in silence.
Man Tran Quang   Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:12 am GMT
I'd been lucky to be work with English people together, after two project (5 years) I have some my ideas as follows:
1. They are very fervour and prepared to help you if you need.
2. They drink alcohol not so much.
3. When they take a meal with you which not invited you before then the meal much be shared.
4. They seldom take a siesta.

I'm a Vietnamese
Kazoo   Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:04 am GMT
<<2. They drink alcohol not so much.>>

English people? I don't think you've been hanging around with English people, were they Americans by any chance.
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:06 am GMT
Oh please Kazoo enough of the stereotyping. Jeez! :-<
Damian in Scotland   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
Man Tran Quang:

Your points regarding English people (let's assume here it applies to Brits generally, ok?):

**1. They are very fervour and prepared to help you if you need.

Yes...that is true, the vast majority will always help anyone who clearly needs it, whatever the circumstances. The good and positive in people always goes unnoticed and unremarked upon....the bad and negative is strangely highlighted and publicised....it must be a quirk of human nature.

2. They drink alcohol not so much.

Again, highly publicised but for most of the time Brits are sober people. The idea of them being pissed out of their minds when they have to
apply themselves to work or education or the serious side of life then they are either abstemious or strictly controlled. It's true that Brits (and other Europeans who love wine or a glass of beer with their midday meals) are far more likely to have alcohol with their lunches during the working week than are the Americans (who do not seem to trust themselves with booze at that time of day by all accounts) for instance, but it is generally very strictly held within limits or else there will be employment repurcussions.

When out on the town at weekends or on holiday (well away from the workplace) the British have a reputation for alcoholic excess, and that is true by and large but again, you only hear about those, who are still very much the minority by a long way. The silent majority go unreported on.

3. When they take a meal with you which not invited you before then the meal much be shared.

If there's enough nosh and slosh to go round then why not share it?

4. They seldom take a siesta**

What's a siesta? Oh I know! The three hour breaks people take in countries where the sun actually shines! What's the point in taking siestas in chill northern climes when it's a much better idea to keep warm by getting on with your work! :-)

Enjoy your time in Britland. We may be weird but we are human. I'm on my ten minute lunch break right now......all I can spare....tuna and sweetcorn baguette and a bottle......of cola! Cheers!
Benjamin   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:52 pm GMT
>>4. They seldom take a siesta**

What's a siesta? Oh I know! The three hour breaks people take in countries where the sun actually shines! What's the point in taking siestas in chill northern climes when it's a much better idea to keep warm by getting on with your work! :-) <<

Interestingly, I once read a Spanish article which stated that the British and the Germans actually now take more daytime sleeps than the Spanish or the Portuguese. I've no idea how true that was though.
Uriel   Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
Hey, the sun shines like a furnace down here at the 32nd parallel, but we don't get any siestas! I will talk to my boss, though....
Jessie   Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 am GMT
They are all ladies and gentlemen!
Damian   Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:23 am GMT
***They are all ladies and gentlemen! ***

Erm......not all. Someone has a pair of rose tinted spectacles and lives in cloud cuckoo land.....time for a reality check.

Benjamin: day time sleeps? Pensioners maybe, but not the rest of us, surely! Chance would be a fine thing.....
Adam   Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
If you take Scotland out of the UK and THEN look at the overall alcoholic consumption you'd notice that it has been significantly reduced.
Guest   Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:40 am GMT
>If you take Scotland out of the UK and THEN look at the overall alcoholic consumption you'd notice that it has been significantly reduced. <

Another stat fights the dust! *sings*
Benjamin   Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
Considering that only about 8% of the population of the UK lives in Scotland, the Scottish would have to consume a huge amount of alcohol to influence significantly such statistics. It's not realistic.
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
Hypothesis : Adam is from the south of England.

Please confirm or deny.

I like the idea that English people are very fervent. I'd happily be fervent. Pointlessly large consumption of alcohol is very probably on the increase in the UK, and may be attributable to the rise of the idea that 'hobbies' are 'sad' which is perhaps part of a generalised current of anti-intellectualism in Britain, and proably the US too. That was a hypothesis too.
Benjamin   Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:09 pm GMT
>> Hypothesis : Adam is from the south of England. <<

He has previously claimed for be from Lancashire, which is in the Northeast.
Candy   Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
He's from Bolton.

<<He has previously claimed for be from Lancashire, which is in the Northeast>>

0 out of 10 for geography, Benjamin. It's in the Northwest.