English People...

Stefaniel P Spaniel   Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
Thats basically a southerner, then. Mentally and spiritually.
De Facto   Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:17 pm GMT
Northern English and Scottish people are much more friendly that Southern English and Welsh people. That's a fact.

(So it's nothing to do with weather or climate!).

Welsh people can be the most paranoid, bitter people you could meet. They are fiercely jealous of the English and have a chip on their shoulder so big, Vanessa Feltz is constantly trying to reach over and grab it.

Contrastlingly, Scottish people will "take as they find". If you respect them, they'll treat you as an 'honourary' Scot. Whereas Welsh people wouldn't tell you the time unless you're Welsh. (or a Sheep).

As for the Irish, mixed bunch, mostly friendly but some crackers.

De Facto
(Uzbek born, now living in the fine city of Leeds).
Leena   Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:08 am GMT
Thats right most English people are nice and polite but of course not all like any other people there is the good and the bad persons i have met many nice guys and also the very bad ones.
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:46 pm GMT
"fine city of Leeds"
Ah come on....you don't have to call it that.
Southern English seem to be more snobby but I don't wish to tar them all with the same brush. There are nice people in every country and there are always a few who aren't that polite.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
***now living in the fine city of Leeds). ***

De Facto: I went to uni in Leeds and I can confirm how fine a city it is! A a really cool fun city it is for sure, and I like it's people....down to earth and you know exactly where you stand with them. I had a fantastic time in Leeds.

You summed us Scots up pretty well! :-) Take as you find is a good maxim and there's always a welcome here, which may explain why we have so many visitors from all over.

I take issue with you a wee bit regarding Welsh people......you really have to get below the surface to know them. Some of them may still harbour some resentment against the English in particular but we won't go into that here......all water under the bridge. Scottish people never seem to have any trouble being accepted and appreciated by the Welsh...at least that's my (very limited) experience. If you show appreciation of the Welsh people and country as a distinct entity and don't show any disrespect for their Language and culture then I reckon you will have the friendliest of welcomes in the hillsides.
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
"a really cool fun city it is for sure, and I like it's people"
Must head back there then.
B-radG   Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:14 pm GMT
I'm not sure. I've never met an actual English person before. And even if I had met an English person, I still wouldn't know. You can't tell how nice, or rude, or stuck up an entire country is, unless you meet ... well, more than half of the entire country. I could meet one English person, and think they're nice, but that doesn't mean all English people in general are nice. It just means that the one person I met was nice. In America there are nice people too, then there are some rude and un-greatful people as well. I do agree that in the South, people tend to be a little more easy going, and friendly. But there are usually reasons for that. Take New York for example. It's up North, and it becomes a very frusterating place after a while. I mean, you have traffic 24/7. People get laid off of work all the time. (fired) Shootings and robberies are an everyday thing. The sidewalks are as about as crowded as the streets. (with people of course) You're always running in to people, and I mean the list goes on and on. It's no wonder people up there are (for the most part) rude and impacient. Down South you just don't have all that, or not as much anyways.
Adam   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
Down in the Deep South you just have cousins breeding with each other and have uncles who are also your brothers, cousins who are your wives, 2nd cousins who are your sons and daughters, uncles and aunts who are your father-in-law and mother-in-law and sons and daughters who are your nephews and nieces.
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
"I just have cousins breeding with each other and have uncles who are also your brothers, cousins who are your wives, 2nd cousins who are your sons and daughters, uncles and aunts who are your father-in-law and mother-in-law and sons and daughters who are your nephews and nieces."

Adam, you have a messed up family. At least it explains what you're about.
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
I'd actually say peole like that are more in the middle. I mean Florida (to some) would be considered deep down south, but rarely any insest breeding occurs there ... to my knowledge anyways. More around the areas of Virginia, and Kentucky is where I'd say that weird stuff happens ...
Travis   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
>>I'd actually say peole like that are more in the middle. I mean Florida (to some) would be considered deep down south, but rarely any insest breeding occurs there ... to my knowledge anyways. More around the areas of Virginia, and Kentucky is where I'd say that weird stuff happens ...<<

From what I know, Florida south of the very north of it is generally not considered to actually be southern, at least by southerners, and does not pattern off of the South itself, much less the Deep South, but more off of the people fleeing the winters of the North for getting hit by a hurricane or two practically every year or so.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
Florida? South? I'm from Miami - it's as Cuban as you can get in America. Deep south? Maybe Northern Florida - the cities closer to the actual "South". They have the Southern accent up there too.
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:31 am GMT
Who is Vanessa Feltz?
Candy   Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:35 am GMT
A TV presenter and 'celebrity' in the UK, who, ahem, struggles with her weight!
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:26 am GMT
Oh. Thanks, Candy.

And where's that pic you promised us before Christmas, by the way? (tapping foot)