Portuguese, the most successfull language in the world!

Baiano   Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
To mim, o example portuguese sounded not compeedible.
Baiano   Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:43 pm GMT
To mim, o example portuguese sounded not compreendible.
To baiano   Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
Isso eh because tu não falar Portugues or Brazileiro Portuguese. Or tu vai dizer que understand more italian ou espanhol
LAA   Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:45 pm GMT
The Portuguese and Brazillian Pt sounded very different indeed.

With the European Portuguese, I heard a lot of vowels go unpronounced, and a lot of "ch" sounds, whereas with the Brazillian speaker, I heard a lot of nasal vowels, "sh" and "g" sounds, and well pronounced vowels at the ends of words. The Brazillian Portuguese was much more pleasant to listen to, and sounded closer to Spanish than did European Portuguese.
Jo   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
These two sound like different languages.
«one speaker is from Bahia, Brasil; and Portuguese is from Lisbon, Portugal. »

Take a radio speaker from São Paulo and one from the sertão, they will sound like different languages also. And what will it prove?
David   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
Just like the Pronounciation in European Portuguese, it differs from region to region. But its not a different language, it's still the same. Just as the castillean spoken in Spain and Puerto Rico or Cuba or Mexico or even Argentina, its not the same, but its still Castillean.
"I heard a lot of nasal vowels, "sh" and "g" sounds"
There are regions in Brazil where they also spoke like that. And in case you dont know, Brazilians pronounce "De" like it was dji, so forget your theory anout lots of "G " sounds
Pablo   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
"The Brazillian Portuguese was much more pleasant to listen to, and sounded closer to Spanish than did European Portuguese. "
Again, it depends on which kind of castillean ( not spanish ) you are talking about. In spain, there are a lot of diallects, and it doesn't resemble any, unless you are mentioning about the latin america varieties.
LAA   Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
Then yes, i would be referring to the Latin American varieties. I personally prefer them for over the Castillian of Spain. And I thought Cubans talk fast!
Jo   Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
Só para este thread não morrer:

Ninguem nunca reparou que successful é com um ' l ' só?
Moi Lollyta   Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:49 pm GMT
Jo é um babaca.
Favor pocar fora, ô loko.
Ayazid   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 am GMT
Very interesting is Catalan version:

http://static.unilang.org/resources/pronscript/sonidos/soundfiles/sonido_ca.mp3

It sounds like something between Spanish and European Portuguese.
JGreco   Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
It is kind of weird that I hear features in Catalan pronunciation that mirrors some of the Pronunciation of Castillian Spanish in some regions of Latin America. I thought I heard some Jeismo (ll and Y pronounced like a j or zh sound similar to the pronunciation of the word "ja" in Br. Portuguese or the sure in the word "leisure" in English. Why is this like that?
Emil   Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:26 pm GMT
*CaRLoS* Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:24 pm GMT
Romanian is grotesque looking when 'written' and 'sounds' like half russian with an latin twist when spoken. Moreover, It borrowed extensively from French and Italian. So what am I to say?? Romanian is pretty much an artificial language and in the next 50 years or so it'll be no more then a clergy language of Romania. They'll probably speak
"russian or german" again; that's my take. Good-day

Listen to this romanian clip....(which suprisingly sounds similar to Portuguese)

From *EMIL* to "Carlos"

I am sorry but i would think you have never read any history if u state such facts about the Romanian language. The Romanian language came from the union of the Dacians and Romans almost 2000 years ago. The language might sound Russian, or slavic to you. But I assure you are mistaken. Some words actually are derived from the acient Dacian language. Ofcourse the base of the alphabet is latin, and some words were "borowed" from other languages. But ROMANIAN in 50 years will not dissapear. It's such a unique language that it cannot just mix with anything else. And besides... it lasted 2000 years... I am sure we can last for another or more. And russian/german languages are actually far from Romanian. Especially that the Russians use slavic/cyrilic alphabet and we use LATIN alphabet. It is one of the stupidest statements about the Romanian language I heard so far.... it's like saying the GREEK language will dissapear in 50 years !! It's absurd. Languages that lasted for so many years. Will last for long after.
borrowings   Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:05 am GMT
The borrowings of the Latin language

Analysis of the Old Latin vocabulary shows considerable traces of non-Indo-European origin. The cognate Italic languages have contributed only small number of words.

The most important lexical influence on Latin was that of Greek. To transliterate the numerous borrowings the Romans of the Classical period had to introduce into their alphabet the Greek letters Y and Z and to adopt the digraphs ch, ph, rh- and th. The Christians, for their part, introduced also a lot of new Greek words with the aim to avoid the usage of the old pagan terminology.

Vocabulary of the late and mediaeval period was enriched by Germanic loan-words, concerning mainly warfare and the new socio-economic order (such as feudum, allodium etc.). During the Middle ages some Arabic words (as algebra, cifra, zenith, zephirum etc.) were borrowed in the scientific language.
huamnun   Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:39 pm GMT
Claro que o portugues do Brasil nauca sera igual a de portugal e muito menos a gramatica ; Primeiro o Brasil foi colonizado por portugues de nivel cutural muito baixo (BRASIL FOI COLONIS PENAL) ;Segundo foi encontrado outra lingua (TUPI GUARANI);Terceiro a ida de (ESCRAVOS NEGROS) outra(s) linguas .E quarto a ida de colonios de (OUTROS PAISES EUROPEUS).

Sera que a lingua de portuguesa de Protugal iria sobreviver nesta panela de culturas ?

VIVA A LINGUA BRASILEIRA, VIVA A CULTURA BRASILEIRA, VIVA O POVO BRASILEIRO, VIVA O BRASIL !!!!!!