Do Irish people like to be called Paddies???

Guest   Sat May 12, 2007 4:21 pm GMT
Best derogatory term for the English - strangely enough, the German "Inselaffen", or "Island Monkey".
Adam   Sat May 12, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
The best for the Germans would be the English "sour Krauts", coming from the word "sauerkraut."
Adam   Sat May 12, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
"Yes its history but how can the irish people move on"

You can't move on because you are a backward-looking people - like the other Celtic nations - who are walking backwards into the future. The fault that you are like this is no fault of the British, although the Paddies love to blame all their failures on the British.

What you lot need is another good civilising by the British. It was the British who turned the Irish into Christians and turned you all from bone-gnawing, cannabilistic, drunken, foul-mouthed savage Bog-Trotters into a more respectable people. But standard there seem to be slipping so we might have to re-civilise you.

Gerald of Wales, whose family was deeply involved in the Norman invasion of Ireland wrote, in his 12th-century History and Topography of Ireland Gerald, contemptuously of the Irish, portraying them as inferior to the Normans in every respect:

"They live on beasts only, and live like beasts. They have not progressed at all from the habits of pastoral living." He condemned their customs, dress, and "flowing hair and beards" as examples of their "barbarity". He also vilified the religious practices and marriage customs of the people:

"This is a filthy people, wallowing in vice. Of all peoples it is the least instructed in the rudiments of the faith. They do not yet pay tithes or first fruits or contract marriages. They do not avoid incest."

The various justifications for English colonization of Ireland were brought together and elaborated by Edmund Spenser, the poet and author of The Faerie Queene. In his book, A View of the State of Ireland, published in 1596, Spenser wrote:

"Marry those be the most barbaric and loathy conditions of any people (I think) under heaven...They do use all the beastly behaviour that may be, they oppress all men, they spoil as well the subject, as the enemy; they steal, they are cruel and bloody, full of revenge, and delighting in deadly execution, licentious, swearers and blasphemers, common ravishers of women, and murderers of children."

In the 1860s, the debate among scientists about the relationship of humans to animals prompted British racists to make frequent comparisons between Irish people, Black people and apes. The Cambridge historian Charles Kingsley wrote to his wife from Ireland in 1860: "I am haunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country...to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black one would not see it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours."

In 1860 the first live adult gorilla arrived at the London Zoo just after Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species had been published. Victorians flocked to see it and debate the relationship of humans to animals. In 1862 the British magazine Punch published "The Missing Link" a satire attacking Irish immigrants: "A gulf certainly, does appear to yawn between the Gorilla and the Negro. The woods and wilds of Africa do not exhibit an example of any intermediate animal. But in this, as in many other cases, philosophers go vainly searching abroad for that which they could readily find if they sought for it at home. A creature manifestly between the Gorilla and the Negro is to be met with in some of the lowest districts of London and Liverpool by adventurous explorers. It comes from Ireland, whence it has contrived to migrate; it belongs in fact to a tribe of Irish savages: the lowest species of Irish Yahoo. When conversing with its kind it talks a sort of gibberish. It is, moreover, a climbing animal, and may sometimes be seen ascending a ladder ladden with a hod of bricks."
--------------

So people have thought similar things about the Bog-Trotters for centuries.
PubLunch   Sat May 12, 2007 5:35 pm GMT
You’re a funny man Adam, but no need to slag of all the Irish, just this cock.

<<Its about time Britain stood up and made an apology for all the wrongdoings it has done, including enslaving the irish people for hundreds of years. Yes its history but how can the irish people move on if the British will not admit their wrong doings. Oh i should say the english because us Irish love the scottish >>

I have no problem with the Irish, but you my friend are such an absolute knob it is untrue. Apologise?? Get over it, sort it out and move on mate.

This is almost as pathetic as those people I saw chained up, crawling through t the streets of London on their hands and knees wailing for forgiveness, with tears streaming down their faces whilst wearing t-shirts with "I'm sorry" emblazoned on them (in reference to the appalling Slave trade) a month or so ago.

Sorry for what?? I'm sorry, but we cannot apologise for what our ancestors did hundreds of years ago. There is no-one to point any fingers at, no blame to be passed. All we can do is learn from our terrible deeds and mistakes and progress, evolve even.

But if you insist on an apology, then I want an apology from the Vikings who raped and pillaged this country in the 9th and 10th centuries. And then I want an apology from the Normans after them. Sod it; while I'm at it, I want an apology from the Romans for all the death and destruction that they caused before that lot. Do you think they should apologise?? No I did not think so. But it's the same thing isn't it??

<< English is a bollocks, cold language unlike other languages such as french, italian and gaelic. >>

Stop speaking and writting it then, in-fact Eire, start talking your 'native' tongue', and lets see how far that gets you.
Guest   Sat May 12, 2007 5:50 pm GMT
Come on Pub. He's trolling you and it's working. Nobody could be that much of a dick. Doubtless his real personality is lacking as well, however. Cracking stuff by Spenser and Kingsley, though. Adam gets a few points just for knowing about those quotes.
Pub Lunch   Sat May 12, 2007 6:57 pm GMT
Your probably right geezer. Thinking about it now, I'm an idiot for even replying. But I got a little peed off when reading all that anti English rubbish and responded in haste. No excuses though. This Adam bloke seems unreal.
Franco   Sun May 13, 2007 12:09 am GMT
Is "brit" offensive?
Pub Lunch   Sun May 13, 2007 8:22 am GMT
<<Is "brit" offensive? >>

No way hosey!!! (I prefer Briton though mate - not sure where the Brit tag originated from). I would find it hard to believe that any Briton would find being called "a Brit" offensive. But then I thought the same about "paddies", so I am starting to think otherwise.

I never thought of "paddies" as some sort of slur but more an affectionate tag, which virtually every country has for others - don't they?? The Scots have"the Jocks", the Welsh "taffs" or "boyo's" and the Americans "Yanks" etc. And I am sure those countries have tags for the English et al.

My cousin is married to a bloke from Carnoustie (Scotland) and I call him jock all the time. He has never once taken offense or got the hump (and so he shouldn't, there is no malice in what I say). But like I said, now I am starting think otherwise.
Adam   Sun May 13, 2007 10:26 am GMT
It made me laugh last night when Ireland finished last in the Eurovision Song Contest, with a poxy 5 points.

Serbia won.

1 Serbia 268
2 Ukraine 235
3 Russia 207
4 Turkey 163
5 Bulgaria 157
6 Belarus 145
7 Greece 139
8 Armenia 138
9 Hungary 128
10 Moldova 109
11 Bosnia/Herzegovina 106
12 Georgia 97
13 Romania 84
14 Macedonia 73
15 Slovenia 66
16 Latvia 54
17 Finland 53
18 Sweden 51
19 Germany 49
20 Spain 43
21 Lithuania 28
22 France 19
23 United Kingdom 19
24 Ireland 5
s.jack   Sun May 13, 2007 10:33 am GMT
well, adam, england didn't finish much better
Eire   Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 am GMT
Adam is a great example of how ignorant english people really are...Need i say anymore!

" is deas an rud a beagan ach e a dheanamh go mhaith".

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus dha leagan deag ar amhran!

Pog mo thoin. Ta siad sasanaigh granna agus aineolach

Erin go bragh
Brad   Sun May 13, 2007 11:47 am GMT
Oh my god like..I Just read these awful comments and i think god why are you english guys so bitter! Eire is true in her comments about you people.

you suck guys, get a life!

America rules the world baby
Guest   Sun May 13, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
America fokules the world baby
Brad   Sun May 13, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
Is that like a pun on words 'fokules'. You are so stupid its supid dude!
God you english people suck!
God bless america
s.jack   Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
children, go outside and play