Most annoying mispronunciation

February   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 15:05 GMT
Respect the name of my month and pronounce all of it's letters. It's Feb-roo-ary'' not ''Febuary''. ''Febuary'' is a sloppy pronunciation.
Mike   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 15:38 GMT
My vote is ''thang'' for ''thing''. This mispronunciation is made by many American blacks.
Mike   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 15:40 GMT
The loss of the first ''r'' in ''February'' is an effect of a phonological process known as dissimilation, by which similar sounds in a word tend to become less similar. In the case of February, the loss of the first r is also owing to the influence of January, which has only one r.
Damian   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 17:33 GMT
"Par-tick-you-lee" for particularly (mind you, it is a wee bit difficult; impossible after a couple of pints).
Billy Joe   Monday, December 06, 2004, 01:50 GMT
''tuh-ward'' for ''toward'' instead of the correct pronunciation ''toe-erd''. You're not going to a ward when you're going toward something. ''toward'' was not formed from ''to'' and ''ward'' put together.

I always pronounce it ''toe-erd'' never the incorrect spelling pronunciation ''tuh-ward''.
lims   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:01 GMT
<<If you say ''off-ten'' for ''often'' logically you should also say ''sof-ten'' for ''soften''.>>

You know the pronunciation of words don't always follow the so-called logical rule-- not taking regional accents into account.

Just as 'often' has two different pronunciations, other words such as, 'Project', 'pronunciation' and 'object' also can be pronounced two different ways. Check the Cambridge or Merriam-Webster dictionaries.

Other different pronunciations:
He 'read' the book that she wants to 'read'.
You're 'close' to the door, so would you 'close' it please?
The child took a 'bow' after he finally learned to tie a 'bow'.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:34 GMT
Here's my pronunciation:

February = Febury = /febju:ri(:)/
library = libry = /laibri(:)/

At least I get the points for consistancy.
February   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:05 GMT
''February = Febury = /febju:ri(:)/''
''library = libry = /laibri(:)/''

That's not consistant. You pronounce the ''r'' in ''library'' but not ''February''.

Jim, Pronounce my name correctly. It's ''Feb-roo-erry'' not ''Feb-yoo-erry'' or ''Feb-yoo-ree''. Would you like it if I started pronouncing your name as ''Jeem''?
February   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:07 GMT
''Febuary'' and ''Febury'' are sloppy pronunciations of ''February'' caused by a phonological process known as dissimilation, by which similar sounds in a word tend to become less similar.

The same effect has happened in ''government''.
February   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:15 GMT
Sloppy mispronunciations that I don't like,

''Feb-yoo-erry'' and ''Feb-yoo-ree'' for ''February'' instead of ''Feb-roo-erry.

''gover-ment'' for ''government'' instead of ''govern-ment''.

''close'' for ''clothes'' instead of ''clothe-z''.

''en-vi-ro-ment'' for ''environment'' instead of ''en-vi-ron-ment''.

''artic'' for ''arctic'' instead of ''arc-tic''.

There's nothing pedantic about pronouncing the first ''r'' in ''February''. In my Scottish accent it's always pronounced. Never ''Feb-yoo-erry'' or ''Feb-roo-ree'', always ''Feb-roo-erry''

Jim, where are you from. You sound like you're from England or something like that.
February   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:16 GMT
Jim, where are you from.

Typo- I meant, ''Where are you from?''
February   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:22 GMT
The word ''February'' was meant to be pronounced with the first ''r'' pronounced. Otherwise it would have been spelt ''Febuary'' or ''Febury''.

P.S. How do you pronounce ''Wednesday''? I pronounce it ''wed-ns-day''. Is anyone similar to me when it comes to this word? In England they pronounce it ''wenz-day''.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:56 GMT
I'm from Australia. If you must pronounce it how it's spelt, then what about "feb-ryoo-airy" i.e. /febrju:e..ri(:)/?
Tiffany   Monday, December 06, 2004, 05:10 GMT
February, you contradict yourself in your post. Sure, hypothetically if February is spelt with the "r" because one must pronounce it, why is Wednesday not pronounced Wed-nes-day? Even you yourself pronounce it differently from its spelling.
Mitch   Monday, December 06, 2004, 05:12 GMT
Pussgetti for Spaghetti