Most annoying mispronunciation

Easterner   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 20:29 GMT
Annabelle said: >>If you were Hungarian, wouldn't your E as in "Pet" sound more like an A as in "Avenue"?<<

I'm Hungarian, and it is true we have a more open sound spelled as "e" but pronounced more like the "a" in "pat", though not quite so open. It might have been the same with Eva Gabor. :)

About "Evinrude", I think it is no wonder people pronounce it in different ways, especially if the English spelling does not give much of a clue. By the way, I actually know Ole Evinrude (the inventor of the type of engine used in motorboats) immigrated to the USA from Norway, but there could be a similarly sounding Celtic name as well. Maybe somebody speaking Irish could tell that. At any rate, I could not readily associate the name with any language at first sight.
Damian   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 21:12 GMT
For me one of the the most irritating of mis-pronunciations is that of the name of my home city, Edinburgh, by the only people who seem to be guilty of this heinous "offence"......a large number of Americans. Hearing it called "Edin-burrow" raises my hackles, but there again, most local people are so used to it they ignore it anyway. Perhaps we would mess up Albuquerque, so what's the difference? :-)
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 21:34 GMT
I've heard of the city of Edinburgh, it's in Scotland. However, if it is spelled Edinburgh, is the pronunciation supposed to be more like "Edinburg"? How do you pronounce Edinburgh?
Phonics   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 22:26 GMT
Damian, Is the city name Edinburgh pronounced with the voiced velar fricative?
Bob   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 23:51 GMT
Don't worry Damian, most continental Europeans can't pronounce it either. How was it again? Edin-braa, Edin-burchh, Eeden-brakhh, Edin-b'rachh? You generally know when you've said a Scottish word properly when you snort a lot of phlegm.
Annabelle   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 05:01 GMT
What in the heck is a Voiced Velar Fricative? And in regards to my earlier post, are you sure Ellie Mae (Jeanette Nolan) had a Faux Southern Accent when she said, "You Need a boat, Evinrude's got the fastest boat around here! Evinrude! Wake Up! Start up your engine boy!" Ellie Mae's direct translation of the above statement would be, "You need a boot, Even Rude's got the fastess boot round heeya! Even Rude! Wake Up! Start ope yeeingin Boy!" And you would call that a faux Southern Accent? I still believe It could've been European or Asian. LOL! As for the other post from Easterner, you're kidding me! Are you Serious? You really actually met Ole Evinrude? If you did, That's Amazing!
You're rude   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 05:46 GMT
Ugh...
Annabelle   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 06:32 GMT
What do you mean, "Ugh..." Were you talking about my comment about the Faux Southern Accent? Or was it the remark about the vecular voiced fricative? What exactly disgusted you in this comment?
Paul   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 17:13 GMT
<<<<Billy Joe :''tuh-ward'' for ''toward'' instead of the correct pronunciation ''toe-erd''. You're not going to a ward when you're going toward something. ''toward'' was not formed from ''to'' and ''ward'' put together.

I always pronounce it ''toe-erd'' never the incorrect spelling pronunciation ''tuh-ward''. >>>>

God, I hope you're being sarcastic

Pronouncing it "toe-erd" souns like typical Southern US pronunciation, where syllables are slurred together, and there is only two vowel sounds aaaa and eeehh
Joanne   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 17:41 GMT
The the faux southern accent is the accent Yankee actors use to make themselves sound like southerners. But 99% of the time, they get it hideously wrong... especially the bayou accent, which has strong French influences. You've been watching The Rescuers, haven't you? =Þ

And yes, I'm sure Jeanette Nolan was born and bred in California.
Paul   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 17:56 GMT
Well, maybe they use 3 or 4 vowel sounds ;)

I've been to Texas actually, and the thick accent isn't as common as people think.

The Bayou accent is bar none the strangest accent I've ever heard. I can't understand a damn thing they're saying!
Paul   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 18:02 GMT
Getting back on topic, my pet peeves are:

People saying 'milk" as 'melk'
Although it's considered acceptable, I hate it when people say "artic" instead of 'arctic"
'eaten' pronounced as 'ate-en" annoys the hell out of me too.

More of a grammar mistake, but I go into a murderous rage when I hear "yous" or "yous guys"
Annabelle   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 18:54 GMT
I've actually watched the movie "The Rescuers" since I got it on video for my birthday in July. As for Eva Gabor's part, when she says, "Faster, Evinrude, Faster!" It sounds more like she says, "Fásta, Aven Rude, fásta!" Is it definitely the Hungarian Accent? And what in the world is a Velar Voiced Fricative? As for an earlier comment from Easterner, You're kidding me! Are you serious? You actually met Ole Evinrude? If you did, that's Totally Cool! Is he a nice guy?
saad   Sunday, December 19, 2004, 20:37 GMT
add a point to "oft-ten" for off-en. (often). it's not like most words in english are written phonetically, why do people feel the need to readjust the pronunciation of this one?

i had a teacher who said "ex-ahhm-pul" (example). only they were american, so it just sounded irritating everytime they said it. in regards to british vs. american standards, i don't mind a straight pronunciation of either, but it does sound annoying when someone mix and matches intonations and pronunciations from both (unless it is just because you are still learning 'english' as a foreign language).
Texan   Monday, December 20, 2004, 00:51 GMT
The most annoying mispronunciation is when New Jerseyans mispronounce ''dial'' as ''dile''. The correct pronunciation of ''dial'' is ''die-uhl'' (two syllables) not ''dile''. Why do New Jerseyans always mispronounce it ''dile''?