Most annoying mispronunciation

Jordi   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 22:22 GMT
Anna Laia are two very classical Catalan names and they are pronounced in Catalan exactly how Annabelle says "Annaleia" should be pronounced. "A" as in father and "i" as in "pie". Quite a remarkable coincidence unless Anna Laia has Catalan forebears.
Jordi   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 22:33 GMT
In case the Catalan coincidence makes you happy I've looked this up for you:
Anna: Compassion, Understanding. God has had compassion with... Anna was the Virgin's Mary mother and according to tradition, she gave birth to Mary at an old age when she didn't expect to have a baby.
Laia: Short in Catalan for Eulalia. She is the second patron saint of the city of Barcelona. In Greek it means "who speaks well" or "eloquent".

If you take Annalaia with those meanings you migh feel really proud of names that will always mean for you "understanding" (compassionate) and "well spoken". Who doesn't want to be that?
Your Guardian Angel probably helped your father in his choice even though he probably didn't know it. You're a lucky girl!
Have a Merry Xmas. and a Happy New Year.
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 06:07 GMT
You may think I'm lucky, but think again! I hated that name! no matter what you say it means, in reality, it was a made up name, not of any origin or nationality. What you're thinking of is Anna Leia, as if the two names were separate. My father made up the name Annaleia, so Anna Leia and Annaleia are two different names. Just face it, Annaleia means "WORTHLESS FAILURE"! I'm not a worthless failure! That's why I chose to change my name to Annabelle, because Annabelle means "Graceful and Beautiful". And you think I know nothing about names and origins? The Name Annabelle is French. If you know about names and origins, let me ask you this, have you heard of the name Evinrude? Is it pronounced with the E as in "Weather"? Or is it pronounced with the E as in "Screen"? Also what is the origin and meaning of the name of Evinrude? My Uncle Bruce says that the name Evinrude might be Norwegian, but he's not 100 percent sure. He also said that he doesn't know what the name means, if it means anything. But somebody told me the name might possibly mean "Swift Fish". Is this true?
Tiffany   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 06:44 GMT
I think you may need some counseling if you believe your name dictates who you are.
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 07:04 GMT
Counseling won't be necessary! Anyways, on the bright side, do you possibly have any answers to the other questions I posted?
hrm   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 07:44 GMT
Why SE Asians tend to pronounce three as tree?
Easterner   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 08:18 GMT
Tiffany said: >>I think you may need some counseling if you believe your name dictates who you are.<<

Well maybe not "dictates", but it does become a part of the way you perceive yourself, especially if your name is out of the ordinary. To tell the truth, there was a time I felt a little uncomfortable with my own first name, which is of course not Easterner, but Szabolcs (pronunced roughly as "Sobawlch", with the first "o" being as the vowel in "dog"). It is the name of a former Hungarian prince and also a county in Hungary, but no one can tell for sure what it means. I once thought it sounded silly, and I was especially shy to reveal that name to foreigners, because I was afraid it would result in various mispronunciations (as it turned out, it did not, at least not significantly). So I am comfortable with it now, although it is perhaps not the best-sounding name on earth. :)

To Annabelle:

What makes you think that Annaleia means "worthless failure", especially as you say it is a made-up name? It may be another thing that your father tried to suggest to you... Anyway, I think you need not bother about it so much, now that you have chosen yourself a beautiful name that I am sure reflects a bit of who you really are... I'm not into counseling of course, but I wanted to offer you this bit of personal advice.
Easterner   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 08:53 GMT
As for "Evinrude", if you mean the motor manufacturer, its founder was Norwegian, so to my best knowledge the name is originally pronounced as "evinrüde", with "e" as in "weather" and the "ü" long as in German "kühl". An approximate English pronunciation is "evinrood" ("e" as above, I have actually seen it spelled with an "oo" on informal forums, which does give a hint as to how it is pronounced in English). But honestly I don't have the faintest idea what it could mean.
Jordi   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 13:06 GMT
If you read my message you'll realise I was trying to be nice. I'm sorry it didn't come through. You, of course, can call yourself what you want and change your name. When I was a very young child I wanted to be called Jaume (James). In the Catholic when you take your confirmation -at age 12 in my case- you can choose another name to add to the ones you have. I, do course, chose James. I don't want to be called Jaume these days but I'm still very fond of that name...
Jordi   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 13:22 GMT
I have no time to edit and I should write less in this forum. Catholic Church, of course...
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 18:01 GMT
As for what somebody said in an earlier post, they spelled the name Annaleia wrong. It's not spelled with A I, it's E I. They wrote it as Anna Laia, and its actually Annaleia. Not two names, but one. And I don't just think Annaleia means "Worthless Failure", I KNOW it means "Worthless Failure"! On the bright side, are you sure the name "Evinrude" is Norwegian? The base of the name is "Evin", which is Irish, it means "swift". Someone told me the name "Evinrude" might mean "Swift Fish" or "Swift Boat". What strikes me as cute is when I heard Jeanette Nolan pronounce the name "Evinrude" with the E as in "Screen", so it sounded more like "Even Rude". What kind of accent could she possibly have in order to pronounce it with the E as in "Screen"? When Eva Gabor pronounced it, it came out sounding more like "Aven rude", Meaning she pronounced the E as if it were an A as in "Avenue". Could it be because she's Hungarian?
Joanne   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 18:26 GMT
Eevin-rude, Ehvin-rude, Aven-rude.... Eh. People mispronounce names all the time -- as you would know :) -- especially when the name is unusual. It doesn't mean they have an accent. It just means they don't know how to pronounce it.
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 19:05 GMT
That's actually not the case. It's not exactly mispronunciation, it's got to be the accent. If you were Hungarian, wouldn't your E as in "Pet" sound more like an A as in "Avenue"? I think they call that "Broken English". and when Jeanette Nolan said, "You Need a boat, Evinrude's got the fastest boat around here! Evinrude! Wake Up, Start up your engine boy!", it sounded more like she said, "You Need a boot, Even Rude's got the fastess boot round heeya! Even Rude! Wake Up! Start Ope Yeeingin boy!". If I'm not mistaken, Jeanette Nolan might be of some Asian or European nationality.
Joanne   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 19:26 GMT
LOL Jeanette Nolan wasn't Asian or European, she was from L.A.! And that accent is a (faux) Southern accent.
Annabelle   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 19:58 GMT
LOL! What in the hernie high is a Faux Southern Accent?