Because of the power and presence of English...

Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:38 pm GMT
<<Within the next 7 years, there will be 2 billion English speakers. How can any language compete with that? >>

Will those 2 billion people actually be fluent or functional in English, or will they just live in a country where English is an official language?
Skippy   Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm GMT
I'd like to know how you came up with the "2 billion" number.

Right now English has "only" 309,000,000 native speakers. Total, there at, at the most, 1.5 billion speakers... Do you think that will increase that much within 7 years?
JLK   Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
Sorry, I actually underestimated. Half the world's population will speak English by 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2005/04/18/edtef1.xml&sSheet=/global/2005/11/02/education.html
PARISIAN   Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 pm GMT
<< But English and French are the only 2 global languages even though French is behind English because of US. >>
-- Way behind. Approximately 90% of the space occupied by global languages is taken by English. All other international languages altogether share the residual margin. It has been so for about 150 years (since the end of the American civil war), anyone who doesn't want to agree is delusional.
And even if the USA and India and Nigeria (above 300 million inhabitants within the next 20 years!) were to collapse, English has gathered enough momentum to retain its predominance for the centuries to come.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
I repeat: Spanish is a lay down misere.
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:23 am GMT
^ What the hell does that mean?
JLK   Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:49 am GMT
Misere-An expression of lamentation or complaint.

LOL, the Hispanic trolls are lamenting their insignificant status in this world.
Geoff_One   Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:42 am GMT
<< Misere-An expression of lamentation or complaint. >>

My understanding of the word is quite different, then again, I may need educating.
mac   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:16 am GMT
JLK, good point you made about English passing/not passing its prime. It is clear that English is not in decline, but continues to grow. So it can't be said that it is past its prime. English is still going strong and will continue into the forseeable future.

<< Spanish can. It is already ahead of English in a number of important measures. >>

In what measures exactly? Although I like Spanish and study it, I disagree with this. English trumphs every other language in international politics, science, business, entertainment.

<< And besides, who wants to be continuously the victim of the game where they can understand you but you cannot understand them >>

This is a good point. Being a native English speaker is convenient, but it can suck to not know any other languages while non-natives know yours. At least that's how I think.

<< Right now English has "only" 309,000,000 native speakers. >>

It has to be more. US 300 million people, UK 60 Million, Canada 30 million, Austrailia 20 million, Ireland 4 million, New Zealand 3-4 million, plus natives or near natives in other countries like India, South Africa, Nigeria, Singapore, etc. depending on the situation.

Granted that some people in the US, UK and Canada are not natives, but still the good majority is. And there are also many native English, bilingual hispanics also. The number is more like 350,000,000 or more I'm sure.

<< LOL, the Hispanic trolls are lamenting their insignificant status in this world. >>

I usually agree with you JLK and I also hate troll (on all sides) but Spanish is definitely not insignificant in the world. It is a huge regional and cultural langage, one of the largest. But of course it is less influencial internationally then English and are all other languages - the topic of the thread.
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:28 am GMT
<<JLK, good point you made about English passing/not passing its prime. It is clear that English is not in decline, but continues to grow. So it can't be said that it is past its prime. English is still going strong and will continue into the forseeable future. >>

I think it's true English is still growing, however it seems to me that the difference now is that other languages have started to grow also, so although English is not declining, it is not distancing itself so rapidly from others.
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:28 am GMT
French is less than a shit hanging from the neck of Hewlett

French is less that introduce the finger by the ass to Hewlett

French is less that see how two Gallus Gay Frechie suck her cocks mutually
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 am GMT
Spanish is less than a shit hanging from the neck of Mac

Spanish is less that introduce the finger by the ass to Mac

Spanish is less that see how two hispANUS hemaphrodite who sodomizes his own asshole.
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Good grammar mate!
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:20 am GMT
What little imagination you have Hewlett. Have you been in school? it seems that not ... why you repeat what a Hispanic said if you have so much hate to us?
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:25 am GMT
You're the one who never been to school. You don't only hate French but other linguistic groups too like German, Russian, English, and even Italian and Portuguese.

If you're educated why do you have to upload false information in Wikipedia in favor of Spanish?