Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Terry   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
I used the term Brit men on one thread and someone seemed to be insulted by it. Is it an insult?

I don't want to be hurting people's feelings.
Albert   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:47 pm GMT
Yes it is.
Terry   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:54 pm GMT
Thank you, Albert and mjd, for letting me know.
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:01 am GMT
I'm not sure that its ever really been insulting, but at one time it was a purely American term. These days the British media itself uses the term frequently for headlines and TV programmes....."brits abroad" etc.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:30 am GMT
"I'm not sure that its ever really been insulting, but at one time it was a purely American term. These days the British media itself uses the term frequently for headlines and TV programmes....."brits abroad" etc. "

Thanks for the input, Rick. It makes me feel a bit better, though I think I'll refrain from using it as it seems to upset some.
Brennus   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:19 am GMT
Re: BRITS

"Brits", "Biddies" and "Redcoats" were all disparaging terms by which American rebels referred to the British during the Revolutionary War. After a long absence, "Brit" has only recently found its way back into the American lexicon.

It has an offensive ring to it and I've noticed that American men who use it nowadays are usually ones who try to come across as sounding "tough" or "macho" whether soldiers bound for Iraq or officials in the Bush Administration. I think that no two Britons (Britishers) will agree with each other on how offensive it is. To some, it is probably no more offensive than "Yanks" and "Yankee" are to most Americans.

Personally, however, I would never use it. If I really had reason to be mad at the British or a British person for some reason "Limey" suffices for me. I still remember my Aunt Elizabeth complaining about the "British Invasion" rock groups back in 1966: "Damn Limeys stealing our money! I still don't like them even though my father was one."
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:20 am GMT
For me, it's not insulting at all, but as Rick said, it's mostly only used in the media, in headlines and such. I would never say it myself. I find it irritating more than anything...not when you use it, Terry, that's fine, but during Wimbledon or the Olympics or something the commentators are always on about 'how the Brits will do!' and the inane jingoism of it drives me insane.
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 am GMT
I don't think of it as an offensive term, and when I use it, it's not to offend. "Briton" is just not a term you hear much in the US, and frankly, sounds a bit weird to me, even though I know it's the "proper" term. I doubt even sportscasters are using it in a "jingoistic" manner, Candy, and would have no idea that you would perceive it in such a way. However, I can understand how you feel; I roll my eyes every time I hear "Yank", which is not a term we would ever use for ourselves (and, given how people usually act toward us, probably does have pejorative overtones ...)
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:32 am GMT
Yeah, you're probably right, Uriel - but they get so carried away with themselves, when they only show events that British competitors are in, only focus on them, and then constantly the words 'the Brits'....aagghh!!
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:06 am GMT
I'm surprised, because really -- how often do we have the opportunity to play each other competitively? We don't usually share the same sports...
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:16 am GMT
I don't think the UK and the US ever play each other in anything, do they? Except in athletics and occasionally tennis, maybe. I didn't mean that the British commentators are focusing on the 'Brits' competing against the Americans, but anyone. 'And here's the plucky Brit Henman, bravely losing against the giant Croatian....'
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:21 am GMT
:) I guaranTEE you that's not meant to be insulting. That's just what an American audience would expect them to call you. And most American commentators would be tailoring their vocabulary toward a domestic listening public. Unless I'm mistaken, they aren't in much demand internationally....
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:24 am GMT
John McEnroe is a very popular commentator for the BBC these days - I can't remember if I've ever heard him talk about 'Brits' though! :)
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 am GMT
Too busy hurling REAL insults. And the occasional tennis racquet, if I remember his reputation correctly!
Guest   Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:04 am GMT
Not these days since it's no longer worth his while. He's too busy being a reputable commentator.