Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:31 am GMT
<<Rather like the thousands of Irish Catholics who fought in the British Army around the world in the 1800s. There are a couple of my ancestors who fought in India and the Crimean War. It was only last year that the Irish government acknowledged that Ireland had had a global military past. >>

I haven't heard of the Irish fighting in those wars. That's interesting. I was under the impression that the Republic of Ireland itself remains neutral in wars but maybe that's only recent wars, although I think I might vaguely have an idea that some Irish men sign up for the British armed forces.

Can you inform me on this, Rick?
Burns   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:17 am GMT
Ireland (Northern and the Southern parts) was still at the time part of the United Kingdom, so in theory when war was declared all men from all over the United Kingdom were consripted to fight.

I'm not sure but it was during the late 1910's that a civil war broke up on the Irish Mainland between the Irish Republicans and the British. As a result the South was proclaimed a republic and refused to join any of the wars (Such as WWII) after their independence.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong =)
Guest   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:42 am GMT
It reminds of how countless groups of Americans disgruntled with our government in Washington DC over their lack of support for Britain before 1941.

My Grandfather was especially disgusted when France was taken over by the Germans during 1940 and Britain was lefted alone to defend and attempt to help its allies on the European Mainland.

So there he went crossing the border into Canada and enlisting himself into the Royal Canadian Forces during the summer of 1940. Finally when our country joined in WWII a year later, he refused to join the American forces and remained in the Canadian forces til the end of WWII.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:22 am GMT
<<I'm not sure but it was during the late 1910's that a civil war broke up on the Irish Mainland between the Irish Republicans and the British. As a result the South was proclaimed a republic and refused to join any of the wars (Such as WWII) after their independence.>>

That makes sense, Burns, thanks. Also I believe the Germans helped the Irish fight the English during WWII. This was also shown in the movie, Ryan's Daughter.
Uriel   Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:25 am GMT
<<Mention "Redcoat" to an Americans and they soil their trousers.>>

No, Adam, we just hold our fire until we see the whites of their eyes. Don't want to waste good squirrel shot.

Guest: I read in a Canadian account of their WWII involvement that when military training camps for the Commonwealth were set up in Canada, quite a few Americans snuck over the border to join.

A good number of Irish immigrants were lured into switching sides during the Mexican-American War by wily Mexicans who pointed out that they shared the same religion (Catholicism) and were subject to prejudice and ostracism in the US anyway; the Irish soldiers who fought for Mexico became known as the San Patricio brigade.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:32 am GMT
<<A good number of Irish immigrants were lured into switching sides during the Mexican-American War by wily Mexicans who pointed out that they shared the same religion (Catholicism) and were subject to prejudice and ostracism in the US anyway; the Irish soldiers who fought for Mexico became known as the San Patricio brigade.>>

Now that's news, Uriel. Never read it anywhere or heard of it at all. This is a good example of what I like about this site. People from different parts of the world have access to local info that the rest don't. And therefore we learn.
Burns   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:15 am GMT
No problem Terry. Wow the Germans helped the Irish during WWII? Wow thats so unheard of. I got to watch that movie you saw.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 am GMT
<<Wow the Germans helped the Irish during WWII? Wow thats so unheard of.>>

It was a great movie, Burns, and Sarah Miles is so underated as an actress. Robert Mitchum did a surprisingly good job as an unassuming Irish school teacher. I can't remember who played Ryan's daugther's lover (a shell shocked English soldier) but he was also very good.

Wonderful period piece, beautiful scenery - the rough and stormy Irish seas - great action and story line. It will move you. (I think the directors may have taken some stormy sea scenes from the old "Man of Aaran" movie, which I think was filmed in the 1930's.

I think the film was made in the 1970's. It's very hard to find this film, at least here in the states, because it's not on DVD and it surely deserves to be. I can't find it on Netflix for that reason. I managed to get a copy online, I think e-bay, but I think it was cut a bit. Still, beautiful scenes of Ireland and a wonderful story. I burned a DVD copy.

I hope you can find it.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:15 am GMT
<<My Grandfather was especially disgusted when France was taken over by the Germans during 1940 and Britain was lefted alone to defend and attempt to help its allies on the European Mainland.

So there he went crossing the border into Canada and enlisting himself into the Royal Canadian Forces during the summer of 1940. Finally when our country joined in WWII a year later, he refused to join the American forces and remained in the Canadian forces til the end of WWII.>>

Well Guest, there's something else I never heard of. I had thought the Yanks/ Americans couldn't wait to go marching off to "save the world."
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 am GMT
My papers this morning tells me that today is the 64th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour (oops..sorry..Pearl Harbor) and preciptated the American entry into WW2. Thanks Yanks! (meant very kindly! It seems we could not have held out against Nazi tyranny on our own much longer although we'd shown the oppostion in 1940 that we were no pushover on this tight little island).

By the way there was a film called "Yanks"....made in 1980 and starred Richard Gere. It was about the "invasion" of thousands and thousands of American troops coming over to Britain to be based here for the eventual liberation of Nazi occupied Continental Europe. The women of Britain welcomed the Yanks.....the men of Britain just moaned about them being "over sexed, over paid and over here". LOL
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:29 pm GMT
<<"over sexed, over paid and over here". LOL>>

LOL. I've heard of that expression.

My father knew a French woman, who was a doctor in the French underground during WWII. He said she told him that the French would hide their daughters when the American soldiers came into town. They appreciated the Americans' help but on a gut level were more afraid of the American men than the German ones.
Adam   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:19 pm GMT
"No, Adam, we just hold our fire until we see the whites of their eyes. Don't want to waste good squirrel shot."

The British kicked your butts.

It always amuses me when I see Americans boasting about the War of Independence, as though they really think that a bunch of peasants and farmers CAN defeat the world's superpower, which it's most technolically advanced equipment and best-trained soldiers, only for me to have to remind them that the British won two-thirds of the battles using only one-tenth of their total manpower, only to give the Americans their independence because we decided that the American colonies were so WORTHLESS that we couldn't be bothered fighting for them anymore.

Stopping the arrogant Napoleon from invading Britain (God's Country) was our main priority.
Adam   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 pm GMT
<<Rather like the thousands of Irish Catholics who fought in the British Army around the world in the 1800s. There are a couple of my ancestors who fought in India and the Crimean War. It was only last year that the Irish government acknowledged that Ireland had had a global military past. >>

I haven't heard of the Irish fighting in those wars. That's interesting. I was under the impression that the Republic of Ireland itself remains neutral in wars but maybe that's only recent wars, although I think I might vaguely have an idea that some Irish men sign up for the British armed forces.
-----------------------------------------------
There was NO Republic of Ireland before 1922. Before 1922, the whole of Ireland was a part of Britain, so talking about Irish Catholics fighting in the British army in the 1800s is pointless, because Irish people were BRITISH.
Adam   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:30 pm GMT
"That makes sense, Burns, thanks. Also I believe the Germans helped the Irish fight the English during WWII. This was also shown in the movie, Ryan's Daughter. "

No. It was the other way around - and it was in WWI.

During World War I which, for Britain, lasted 1914-1918 (but 1916-1918 for the appeasing Americans) the whole of Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom.

BUT, whilst British soldiers were away fighting in the trenches to keep Britain (including Ireland) free from tyranny, some Irish people who wanted independence were trying to persuade the Germans to invade Ireland, to make it easer for them to invade the rest of the UK, hoping that then Ireland would get its independence.

And, during WWII, when Hitler died, Ireland (which, except Northern Ireland, was no longer a part of the UK) even opened a book of condolences in Dublin town hall so that Irish politicans, most of whom adored Hitler, could sign their condolences. Ireland was the ONLY country in Western Europe to have a book of condolences for Hitler.

So much for Ireland remaining "neutral." They secretly hoped that the Germans would win both World Wars.
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 am GMT
Oh Adam,

Is that what they taught you in school, that you "gave" us our independence, because you thought the place worthless? That is beyond stupid, Adam. Cotton, tobacco, and virgin timber for masts for the British Navy, are but a few of the riches to be had here.

So, Adam, why did the British come BACK here to fight for this worthless place again? WHILE they were fighting Napolean? I guess they forgot to teach you about the War of 1812. That's the one Uriel was alluding to, 2nd link below, the banjo melody line is hard to pick out. Can you guess who one that battle, too, Adam??

http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/cabildo/cab6.htm

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/battleof.htm

BTW, Adam, you were beaten by British people who wanted religious, and economic freedom so they came here. It's amazing what a truly free bunch of British farmers can accomplish against a tyrannical, oppressive Empire. We whupped you not once, Adam, but twice.

Self delusion is not a trait that leads to greatness, Adam.

We whupped you twice, because, among other things, we were fighting for our homes, our freedom, and our lives, and using tactics we'd learned from our noble adversaries who were fighting for the very same things against us. If memory serves, I believe some Indians even joined us against the British.

You are entitled to your own opinion however silly, but not your own facts.