Is "Brit" an insulting term?

john   Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:10 pm GMT
"it was the British that created the need for the IRA."
I agree to a point but it seems to me that the British want out of Northern Ireland so cut them some slack. There is no need for the IRA now though.
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:46 pm GMT
"the British want out of Northern Ireland"
Leave then. Simple.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
Nothing would please the wider British public more than for North to join up with the South and unite the island of Ireland once and for all...that is, those who give a damn. Most don't...it's just one big yawn to most people on this side of the Irish Sea.

The problem lies with the Protestant / Orangeman/woman majority in the Province itself who do not wish to sever the British link at all. That's strange, as the vast majority of them over there have never been over here in their lives. Looks like an never ending situation, one which the vast majority of Brits would like to see ended by a united Republic of Ireland, north and south, Belfast and Dublin as one. As the scourge of Ireland itself, Oliver Cromwell, said to the Long Parliament in London at the time of the English Civil War in the 17th century: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Begone I say and let us have done with you. In the name of God...go!"