Spanish is not so important as latin-americans praise!

Nostradamus   Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
>>What I don't understand is taking this and applying it to every single citizen. It's a stereotype, nothing more.<<

The problem is that there are too many stereotypes came from U.S., some really harmful: all Arabians are terrorists, all Colombians are drug dealers, all Latin Americans are thieves or they want your money, etc etc. And lots and lots of other ones.

<<But US citizens get heat for all the
mistakes the US has made.>>

Sorry Tiffany but explain me then why Bush was elected again ? I think that U.S. citizens don't know a fraction of the "mistakes" made that you mention.
JR   Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:04 pm GMT
I agree, its a stereotype about U.S. Citizens, but, one I can understand.. There are many conspiracy theories going around as to how Bush won the 2000 election, since he did not have the most votes.

But all educated people know that stereotyping is wrong
Tiffany   Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
<<The problem is that there are too many stereotypes came from U.S., some really harmful: all Arabians are terrorists, all Colombians are drug dealers, all Latin Americans are thieves or they want your money, etc etc. And lots and lots of other ones. >>

You think I don't know about these stereotypes and FIGHT THEM everyday. I come from Miami and now live in Northern California. I have many clsoe family friends that are victims of these sterotypes. However, not every American believes them. I am an American. I am a minority. I am victim of many stereotypes too. Too wrongs do not make a right. Fighting stereotypes with stereotypes is not going to solve anything.

And don't get me started about stereotypes I've encountered in every nation I have ever visted. No ones hands are clean in this. Pot calling the kettle black once again.

<<Sorry Tiffany but explain me then why Bush was elected again ? I think that U.S. citizens don't know a fraction of the "mistakes" made that you mention.>>

I am as against Bush as you are. I voted for the other guy TWICE. So did my parents. Besides picketing and debate (both which I have done), what more am I to do?
*CarloS*   Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
Tiffany, chill out.

Stereotypes come from everywhere. Is it ignorance or is it hate that creates them? We don't know.

When I was checking Antimoon, I saw this thread about French men being racist, can this be considered a stereotype? Anyway, these types of comments don't surprise me, I assume someone from the US wrote it, but I may be wrong. As mentioned before by others, stereotypes about Latin Americans are also common in the US society. Like:

Colombian -> Drug dealer
Mexican -> Illegal, thief, etc...
Latin Americans -> Illegal immigrants, poor, etc...
People with relatively colored skin -> Hispanic
ETC.

Here in Latin America we also have stereotypes for people coming from the US and for US politicians. I could tell how this stereotypes originated, but I won't because it will probably start a fight...

Anyhow, Tiffany you seem to be saying that we only "attack" the US beacuse we like to do it.

Also, in case you didn't know, we (sadly) have stereotypes for other Latins (Latin Europeans and Latin Americans) and we also have stereotypes for people from OUR OWN country. So stop "incriminating" us for the stereotypes.

And... Is this the "politics forum"? NO. So let's not speak of Bush or Berlusconi.
Tiffany   Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:02 am GMT
<<And... Is this the "politics forum"? NO. So let's not speak of Bush or Berlusconi.>>

Yes, you are right about this, but I have to defend myself everytime someone makes a comment about "ignorant Americans" or the like. If I went around calling Latin Americans a stereotype, would you not?

<<So stop "incriminating" us for the stereotypes.>>

No one is incriminating you for stereotypes. We are the ones being incriminated, and unjustly I think, as no population is totally free of them. My defense? To point out the obvious.

<<
Colombian -> Drug dealer
Mexican -> Illegal, thief, etc...
Latin Americans -> Illegal immigrants, poor, etc...
People with relatively colored skin -> Hispanic
ETC.
>>

Why are you re-hashing this?

<<French men being racist, can this be considered a stereotype?>>

Yes - if "all" is implied

<<Tiffany, chill out. >>

This is perhaps, the best piece of advice I've gotten today. But put yourself in my shoes, then say it again.
Tiffany   Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:04 am GMT
<<Anyhow, Tiffany you seem to be saying that we only "attack" the US beacuse we like to do it. >>

You don't?
Sigma   Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:55 am GMT
I could suggest some possible explanations for this difference in attitude if you're interested.

Si por favor, sería bueno escuchar el punto de vista de un Británico en este aspecto.
Josh   Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:57 am GMT
<<Spaniards are very Unique people>>

I don't see how Spaniards are any more "unique" than say Colombians, Mexicans etc. A Mexican is as different to a Colombian than a Spaniard is, perhaps even more so. The Latin America label is used to build camaraderie and friendship between countries that are in close proximity to each other. In no way should anyone beleive that it implies that they are identical to each other. But of course it doesn't stop it from happening.

<<Spaniards way of life is very different from any other country in the world. >>

So what? It is as different as the Colombian, Mexican way of life is different to other nations in the world. Not less or more.

<<It seems that Mexicans, and all other south american nations don't mind this categorization. (if they did mind they would be complaining to the US Census program), I doubt any Mexican cares to complaint. >>

Some do mind but most do not because they've got better things to worry about. "Latin Americans" in general are not as hung up on race as Europeans /"whites" are.

<<On the other hand Spaniards do mind and the very few spaniards living in the USA are complaining. >>

I suspect that it's because "Latinos/Hispanics" are perceived as non-white and therefore there majority of population, which are generic "European-white" Americans, still hold prejudiced notions against them as well as against African American/blacks. Whereas Europeans/"whites" are perceived favourably regardless of their background. This could be the real motivating factor behind Spaniards that are annoyed with being lumped with those good-for-nothing "wetbacks/spics".
Josh   Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:11 am GMT
<<Spain is definitely a Western European country and should definitely not be grouped with Latin America>>

I don't agree with every point in this essay but I think on the whole the author is mostly right.

Is Latin America Indian?
http://www.webcom.com/intvoice/emily26.html

Not long ago Spain was a poverty-stricken country ravaged by war and beared little resemblance with its more modern neighbours. I wonder if people would have considered it a Western nation since Western is synomous with "first-world" status.

Talking to some Spaniards who don't appear to be racist they agree that they share very little in common with Mexicans, Cubans, Chileans etc. But they feel they can relate a heck of a lot better to them than any Englishman, Frenchman, German etc.
Nostradamus   Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:11 am GMT
<<Talking to some Spaniards who don't appear to be racist they agree that they share very little in common with Mexicans, Cubans, Chileans etc. But they feel they can relate a heck of a lot better to them than any Englishman, Frenchman, German etc. >>

Personally I feel that although this tie is stronger among Latinamericans (my niece got married with an Argentinian), there is such connection with Spaniards as well. I feel very comfortable with any Latinamerican or Spaniard. Anyhow a history and a language connect us. I meant, Siiii, hay fiesta esta noche !!!! :-) just kidding! You don't have to worry about all those stereotypes that other countries make.

I'd like to know if such affinity exists among the countries that share the same language like English.
Benjamin   Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:15 pm GMT
>> Si por favor, sería bueno escuchar el punto de vista de un Británico en este aspecto. <<

I can think of several reasons. We don't need to go into all of the obvious stereotypes which exist about Americans again since this has already been covered on this thread and we know them anyway. Realistically, the common stereotypes of Americans which exist in Britain are probably not very different from the stereotypes of Americans which exist in Spain, as I've found that similar stereotypes seem to exist across Western Europe from knowing people from France and Germany. Ultimately, the stereotypes which you in Latin America (I assume you're Latin American, correct me if I'm wrong) of the US might not really be too different from those which exist in Europe either.

But that aside, there other reasons. For example, Canada, Australia and New Zealand were British colonies until relatively recently, whilst the small part of the US which was a British colony became independent far earlier. Equally, the usual view here is that the cultures of Canada, Australia and New Zealand have been influenced by British culture to a much greater extent than that of the US, which is often seen as being largely home-grown.

I have to go very quickly now, so I'll come back and post more later.
Benjamin   Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
Perhaps another reason as to why British people are often far less keen to be 'grouped' with the US than with Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is the issue of power. The population of Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand put together is roughly equal to that of Britain. But if the US is brought into the equation, Britain becomes very much subordinate.

« I'd like to know if such affinity exists among the countries that share the same language like English. »

As I've said, I think that most British people would probably feel a greater affinity between us and Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand than between us and the US. However, I've no idea what people from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland might think about this.

I remember seeing the results of a survey published a while ago (I'll see if I can find it on the internet) about what the British think about various different countries and nationalities. Canada, Australia and New Zealand were rated positively on all accounts, whilst very mixed views seemed to exist about the US. For example, the US was one of the most popular countries where people said that they'd like to live (perhaps due to the perception that the standard of living is higher), but, according to the results of that survey, it was also perceived as one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

The British media takes a great interest in the US, but unfortunately, it's almost never portrayed in a positive light. Practically everything which one reads about the US in the newspapers either has a negative slant or is, at best, neutral. Basically anything which can be used to portray the US as a backward and regressive society is highlighted.
Kelly O'   Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:29 pm GMT
Brazil was discovered by Spanish. Cabral was 2nd to come.
JR   Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
Well if Spaniards discovered the new world, which Brazil is part of, then yes.
Mel   Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 am GMT
''How many Paraguayans and Mexicans can say that ? 20 % maybe ? ''

100% according to Mexican soap operas