Spanish is not so important as latin-americans praise!

Ray Vogensen   Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:10 am GMT
In Brazil there is almost a total ignorance about the mother nation. After a Portuguese rock group performed in Rio, a Brazilian commented: "It was OK, but I couldn't understand a word." A package of Portuguese films sent to celebrate Brazil's 500 years could only be shown to Brazilians with subtitles.

As an American married to a Brazilian, with two Brazilian children, and with 17 years experience with Brazilian Portuguese (BP), coming to Portugal and trying to adapt to the Continental variety of Portuguese (CP) was not easy at first. I think that if I had not known any other variety of the language, in effect coming with a clean slate, the period of linguistic adaptation would have been smoother.

When we first arrived in Porto it was very difficult to understand the people. They could understand us but the opposite was not true. Now that we have been here for nine years, going on ten, the language presents less of a problem, and communication is not so labored. As in most language learning situations we tend to struggle with the less educated. This of course is because as teachers we have most of our contact with middle-class people with some schooling, who speak a standard form of the language.

Knowing Brazilian Portuguese was help and a hindrance when we arrived in Portugal. On the one hand, most of the arduous process of learning the local language was facilitated and we could communicate from the first day on. On the other hand, the knowledge of the other linguistic variety impeded the learning process in many ways. Prejudices about the supposed attractiveness and even superiority of Brazilian Portuguese made it harder to accept Continental Portuguese. Many Portuguese themselves say that the sounds of Brazilian Portuguese are more melodious and softer than Continental Portuguese.

Another problem is that the Brazilian Portuguese speaker has no, or almost no contact with Continental Portuguese. Outside the restricted world of the Portuguese colony in Rio and São Paulo, with its clubs and codfish dinners, Brazilians have no experience of what Continental Portuguese sounds like. Even the Portuguese who have lived in Brazil for a certain period of time soon lose their accent and do their best to blend in with the local culture. This rarely occurs with the Brazilian in Portugal.

Perhaps this blending in Brazil was because the Portuguese immigrants were looked upon as ignorant and backward, despite their economic success. The historical idea of what a Portuguese was like has never been a positive one in Brazil. In fact, most of the jokes told are about the Portuguese. The prejudice and ignorance can be shocking at times, if one is Portuguese. One student of mine was told he had such an interesting conversation that he didn't even seem to be Portuguese.

In a situation in which no cultural input from Portugal enters Brazil, there is almost a total ignorance about the mother nation. Portuguese singers have never even tried to penetrate the Brazilian market. Recently a Portuguese rock group performed live at a rock concert in Rio. The Portuguese television reporter interviewed several young people and asked them what they thought about the music. The first comment was that it sounded ok but they couldn't understand a word.

Portuguese television and films have likewise never been shown in Brazil, outside a few art cinemas in Rio or São Paulo. A recent package of Portuguese films was sent to be shown during the celebrations commemorating the discovery of Brazil. It was decided that the films could only be shown with subtitles.

The Continental Portuguese language is almost never heard in Brazil, especially in the interior. A student of mine, when visiting a small town in Brazil, was asked if she was speaking Italian. Brazilian women who went to a women's congress in Moscow in the early sixties, before the revolution of 1964, said that when the delegates' words were being translated into Continental Portuguese on their headphones, they had to switch to a Spanish translation to understand. Surely the same would not happen with Spanish from Spain and Mexican Spanish, or even with American and British English—although dialects like Geordie or Scouse can be unintelligible for Americans. But they are dialects; here we are talking about standard varieties.

When the Brazilian arrives in Portugal he encounters two types of reactions to his Portuguese. There are those who think he has a "nice" accent and enjoy listening to it. There are also those who seem to resent the fact that a different type of Portuguese is being spoken, and more so in Brazil—a country that most people in the world today identify with the Portuguese language.

A Portuguese student of mine resented the fact that in Paris, on a sightseeing bus, the symbol for the Portuguese language was the Brazilian flag and the narration of the tour was in Brazilian Portuguese. Ironically this is in a city with close to half a million Portuguese immigrants. Obviously they don't go on sightseeing tours.

Children, adolescents, and simple working people, be they villagers or city folk, are very accepting of Brazilian Portuguese. They watch soap operas from Brazil, listen to Brazilian singers like Daniela Mercury, Gal Costa etc. and generally accept the different accent and vocabulary. The problem arises with more educated older people, usually those who have gone to university or are at university. We have seen that negative language attitudes towards Brazilian Portuguese come from the middle class.
Gringo   Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:44 pm GMT
“In Brazil there is almost a total ignorance about the mother nation.”

Mother nation? Don’t joke! Go call some one else mother.

“A package of Portuguese films sent to celebrate Brazil's 500 years could only be shown to Brazilians with subtitles.”

Did they try to show it without subtitles?

“A student of mine, when visiting a small town in Brazil, was asked if she was speaking Italian.”

In the Brazilian countryside everybody thinks that a different accent is Italian and that one can understand Italian, also many people think they are Italians.

“Brazilian women who went to a women's congress in Moscow in the early sixties, before the revolution of 1964, said that when the delegates' words were being translated into Continental Portuguese on their headphones, they had to switch to a Spanish translation to understand.”

What an ignorance! How could it be continental Portuguese if Portugal had a fascist regime since 1932. Continental Portuguese spoken by a Russian must sound great EUPortuguese. LOL LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estado_Novo_%28Portugal%29

“When the Brazilian arrives in Portugal he encounters two types of reactions to his Portuguese.”

No one bothers with the presence of Brazilians there are no “reactions” what so ever.

“A Portuguese student of mine resented the fact that in Paris, on a sightseeing bus, the symbol for the Portuguese language was the Brazilian flag and the narration of the tour was in Brazilian Portuguese. Ironically this is in a city with close to half a million Portuguese immigrants. Obviously they don't go on sightseeing tours.”

What a stupidity probably the owner is Brazilian or the translator, sure, the translator is not from Portugal but from Brazil.

“They watch soap operas from Brazil, listen to Brazilian singers like Daniela Mercury, Gal Costa etc.”
The father of Daniela Mercury is Portuguese and she goes to Portugal a lot.

“We have seen that negative language attitudes towards Brazilian Portuguese come from the middle class.”

Negative attitude such as…?
Oswaldo   Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:03 pm GMT
When Tony says "demasiado" is not used in Brazilian I'm sure he means in everyday street language, which is what I was referring to. In more literary Brazilian Portuguese, as in more literary English and other languages, including that found on websites, many expressions are found that are not used, or even understood, by most people in everyday life.
As a child, I learned Spanish from my Puerto Rican parents. We lived in Spanish Harlem. We spoke both Spanish and English at home (mostly Spanish with our parents and the older generation but English between brothers, sisters and friends).
Demasiado was not used in expressions like "He is too fat for me" which would be correctly translated as "Es demasiado gordo para mi" instead we said, and I know some Brazilians also use the equivalent, "Es muy gordo para mi" to mean the same thing. "Muy" replaces "demasiado" in such expressions. In English, for example, we couldn't say "He is very fat for me." That doesn't make sense. In French neither. One could not say "Il est très gros pour moi." But you can say that in common Latin American Spanish or Portuguese.
Oswaldo   Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:24 pm GMT
Ray,

On a lighter note with reference to: “A student of mine, when visiting a small town in Brazil, was asked if she was speaking Italian.”

A friend and I were having coffee at a Paris airport cafeteria next to a couple speaking a strange language. We listened closely and couldn't make out the language they were using. Finally, I turned to them and asked politely "What language are you speaking?" They smiled and said "English. We're from London." Their Cockney was unintelligible to us, especially in rapid speech.
JR   Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
Spanish and Arabic are the most widely spoken languages besides English and Chinese. Although Chinese has more speakers, they are concentrated mainly in Central/Eastern China. Arabic is the main language of the Muslim world, since it is the language of the Qur'an. It is spoken from Pakistan to the Atlantic Ocean. Spanish is also widely spoken, from the United States all the way down to the tip of South America. English is not widely spoken as a native language, but it is widely taught as a second language in many areas of the world.

It is the main business language of the world at the moment, but that may change in the next few decades. French is also used in many African countries.

The languages I think are not really worth learning outside Europe are German and Italian. Outside of Europe, these are scarcely used. German is used in some Menonite towns in the U.S. and Mexico, and Italian is used in U.S. towns where immigrants from Italy formerly lived, but outside that, those languages are scarecely used.

For English speakers in the U.S., I strongly recommend Spanish. There are numerous TV stations and radio stations in Spanish, and a rapdily growing Spanish popluation, it will be very useful to speak this language, careerwise as well as socially. In the U.S. there is really no "need" to pursue further languages.

For those who already speak English and Spanish, but still want to learn more languages, I recommend Portuguese and French next. Your Spanish and English knowledge will suppliment you on these 2 and make it easy for you to gain mastery over these langauges. (I speak from my personal experience).

Once you have Spanish, French and Portuguese, the other Romance languages will become much easier (Italian, Catalan, Romanian, etc.) if you're interested in becoming a language guru.

This is just my opinion, my "method" may not work the same for other people as it does for me.
Pablo   Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
No one had heard about a book named "El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha"? I dont know but coud be the second most printed book in the world (the first is The Bible). It´s not because i´m from Spain but it´s a fact that the spanish is a very important lenguage today. In my opinion italian sounds preetyer than spanish but it doesnt matter. It´s not hard to see, in the future the most important lenguages will be english and spanish.
Un saludo para todos
Raúl   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
Hey Rafaél, I hope your portuguese is better than your English, lol.
Raúl   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:55 pm GMT
Last time I bought anything at the store requiring instructions, it came in English and Spanish:not in Italian,German, etc (although infrequently in does come in French). Spanish is geographically the most spoken language in the world. Morevoer, Spanish was at one time as important as English is in more modern times. Did you know that they spoke Spanish in the German Imperial Courts for over a century? I would also note that in terms of grammar and style Spanish is a pure languange, i.e., it is not a buffet of greek, latin, germanic, and a host of foreign languanges as is English. Furthermore, it is based on phonetic system unlike German (40% of English)or English. Hence, "phonetics" is spelled as it should be, with an "f" and NOT "ph". Consequently, there is not need for spelling bees as in English speaking countries. Insofar as history, and contributions to society, I suggest you research the "Spanish Black Legend". Cristobál Colón as he himself signed his name, was a shephardic jew. And the DNA testing will more than likely prove this. So get your pencil ready to chaulk up another for Spain, along with the likes of Seneca, Cervantes, Picasso, ad infinutum.
Raúl   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:08 pm GMT
Hey historybuff,

You really need to spend more time reading your history. For one, the fact that the Spanish discovers conquered more space in a mere fifty years than the English, German, and French explorers did in over one-hunred and fifty years is just the tip of the iceberg. Did you know that modern human rights are derived from the dicussions by Spanish noblemen on the "just" conquest of the Americas. We're it not for these dicussions the conquest would have continued all way to Canada! Or that modern economics are based on the discovery of America by the Spanish and by way of the teachings of the School of Salamanca? Really, read some books, you might be pleasantly surpised.
Tim   Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:10 pm GMT
<<For one, the fact that the Spanish discovers conquered more space in a mere fifty years than the English, German, and French explorers did in over one-hunred>>

I read the book that historybuff provided a link to and I must say and it's an excellent read. The fact is the Spanish didn't "conquer" anything, that much is true. What happened was the alliance with enemies of the Aztecs and the eventual epidemic that basically emptied a continent of its inhabitants made it possible to establish colonies in that territory. The myth of "conquest" was propagated to espouse the superiority of Europeans and justify their actions as righteous. It is a shameless Eurocentric view of the world that persists to this day. In any event the destruction of wondrous cultures and crimes committed subsequently aren't cause of celebration or something to be proud of. It is despicable that anyone can boast about that, it really is.

<<Did you know that modern human rights are derived from the dicussions by Spanish noblemen on the "just" conquest of the Americas. We're it not for these dicussions the conquest would have continued all way to Canada!>>

Arrogant and wishful thinking. In much of the area that was "claimed" as Spanish territory, a lot of indigenous people weren't even aware that they had become part of Spain. It's hilarious when you think about it. It is only gradually and through the next centuries that hispanic culture became adopted either by force or voluntarily.
JR   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 am GMT
Of course, such as when the Louisiana Purchase. Seriously, how many Americans were living in Montana when it became part of the U.S.

Not many.
Maggie   Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:39 pm GMT
WHy do people call eath other " esse' what does it mean?
JR   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:47 am GMT
Its a populism, it litteraly means "that one" in Spanish.
Spain   Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
Its called "ese"
Leonardo   Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:16 pm GMT
I can see why spaniards are upset about the Hispanic/Latino definition in the USA. it is not about racism or arrogance that the spaniards are talking about. it is about IDENTITY , UNIQUENESS and PRIDE. This is very simple to understand. like a German is from Germany, French are from France, etc... Spaniards are from spain, only spain. Spaniards are very Unique people. Spaniards way of life is very different from any other country in the world. This is why ALL SPANIARDS are angry at this. If there was a country that is a little similar to spanish people is Italians.

The USA brain washed it's people and categorized all spanish speaking people into one race, one lifestyle, all the same. TV, Media all these categorize spain the same as South Americans. It seems that Mexicans, and all other south american nations don't mind this categorization. (if they did mind they would be complaining to the US Census program), I doubt any Mexican cares to complaint.

On the other hand Spaniards do mind and the very few spaniards living in the USA are complaining. Again, it is not racism or arrogance, it is simply a person's personal uniqueness and pride which is very normal. Spaniards are very proud of their history, country and people. Spanish people don't want to put anybody down, they just don't want their IDENTITY taken away. Spain is a very old country, so old it appears in Bible text as already a nation.

This is why Spaniards are angry. Spain is Spain.