Native English speakers ridiculed?

Angus McBeeff   Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:47 pm GMT
<<Did you ever see an English restaurant in France or in USA>>

What about McDonald's -- they're all over the place around here, in larger cities and towns.

(Technically speaking McDonald's may be a Scottish restaurant, but that would be splitting hairs).
Highlander   Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm GMT
\"McDonald\'s may be a Scottish restaurant\"

Yeah. Scotland über alles.
Penetra   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 pm GMT
Anglos are the creators of fast food . For the Anglo culture food is something , as unhealthy as possible, you eat without using fork and knife, just your hands and in a few seconds like dogs. On the other hand Spanish cuisine is sophisticated, invites you to take the time necessary to appreciate its rich textures, a way of expression, refined and basic part of Latin "joie de vivre". Hamburgers are not bad from time to time but they, like the rest of Anglo dishses , are to cuisine like Dan Brown's books are to Literature.
Franco   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:18 pm GMT
I agree with Penetra once more.
Matematik   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm GMT
<<Spanish cuisine is sophisticated>>

A few rough old bits of fish on a bed of cheap rice? Yes, so sophisticated. Also, don't compare the US with the UK, I'm not stupid enough to suggest Spain is like Mexico, so have the same respect.
Matematik   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:38 pm GMT
I'm quite shocked a Hispanic has the audacity to critisize "Anglo" food with their Hispanic, fat-filled junk-food like Tacos and Burritos. When they're cramming their mouths with shit like that it's no wonder the Hispanic nations have some of the largest obesity issues in the world.
Penetra   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 pm GMT
It's UK which is more like Mexico in the sense that their food is unbearable. Mexican food is pretty spicy and UK food is also very bad. USA has pretty decent wines while UK hasn't. And don't tell me bullshit about weather, UK has pretty much the same weather than the Champagne region in France but they lack the cultural sophistication necessary to produce good wines. Even Germany is more refined than UK in the culinary field.
Franco   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm GMT
UK has no famous chefs. A British person in a kitchen is more dangerous than Ahmadinejad with an array of nuclear bombs.
Matematik   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 pm GMT
<<UK has no famous chefs.>>

The reality is Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver are well-known names in the US, and quite likely much of Europe (although I'm not overly keen on them myself).

However, I doubt many Americans could name you a Spanish chef, the only Spanish chef your American knows is the greasy, unwashed guy who serves dollar burritos.
Franco   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:54 pm GMT
It is interesting to analise cultures from this point of view. Normally we talk about the number of speakers this or that language has, how many nobel prizes in literature and so on, but in the end of the day food is much more relevant because one enjoys a good dish more than a good book , and it doesn't even need translation!. In my particular list of pleasures ,food (good one) ranks high, just slightly below sex. So a culture with rich and elegant cuisine is better than one which hasn't. I couldn't stand living in China or in UK for that sole reason.
Connoisseur   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 pm GMT
<<The reality is Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver
>>

Who are those guys? Were they considered ever as the most important chefs of the world like Spanish Ferran Adriá?. They must be famous in UK only and because they imitate French , Spanish and Italian cuisines.
Paul   Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm GMT
<<
Anglos are the creators of fast food . For the Anglo culture food is something , as unhealthy as possible, you eat without using fork and knife, just your hands and in a few seconds like dogs. On the other hand Spanish cuisine is sophisticated, invites you to take the time necessary to appreciate its rich textures, a way of expression, refined and basic part of Latin "joie de vivre". Hamburgers are not bad from time to time but they, like the rest of Anglo dishses , are to cuisine like Dan Brown's books are to Literature. >>

Spanish food, has to be the greasiest food there is. They serve everything drenched in olive oil.
Paul   Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 pm GMT
<Did you ever see an English restaurant in France or in USA?>

the English don't have a cuisine or a culture of their own.
UK   Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:17 pm GMT
<<the English don't have a cuisine or a culture of their own. >>

Look who is talking. What about the US? All US dishes belong to another culture: German, Italian, Mexican, Irish, ...
-----   Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 pm GMT
Fucking hell it's only food..!!! don't get all hard in your pants guys.