ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN

S.P.Q.R   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
Prietenul Octavianu:
please write in english for aqll understand what you've trying to say:
That can be reduced to:
I think it is ridicolous that italian and spanish descend from A. Latin.
This is true however since is demonstred that all altin languages came from late vulgar latin.
Octavian   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:11 pm GMT
Sorry Greg, I sadly cant understand French. But from what I can pick out you are saying the toscan language is related to archaic latin as is french or something can be found in French that is related to the Toscan dialect that preserved some archaic Latin features that can also be found in Corsican?

Also that you agree with my first statement that Italian and Spanish developed "o"/"os" spontaneously or coincidently, and not directly linked with the "os"/ "om" which would correspond with archaic Latin. Am I right? Sorry if I totaly misinterpreted you this was a feeble attempt at translating your words from what I know in English and Romanian.
Octavian   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
To Senatus,

Ce prieten? Frate roman (cu AHHH) distant te cred, tu fiind Italian.

Ok next time I will write in english because It would be convinient to all. including the Romanians. LOL
S.P.Q.R   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
That was what i tried to say.
S.P.Q.R   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:23 pm GMT
Well Roma is in italy, so i can call myself roman.
I would write in romanian but i think that would do to many erros.
Jr   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
S.P.Q.R, true.

Nor the "U" in Romanian is inherited from "classical latin" (um-us) BUT from Vulgar-latin then vulgar latin inherited from Classical latin. {Perhaps some names or words retain words with um/us} But, italian & spanish does to on some words.

Spanish & Italian;
Ultimatum
minimum
maximum
espiritu (spanish, only)
optimum (italian, only)
estatus (spanish, only)
plenum
etc.

I suppose, the rounding of the "u" to the "o" was natural and much prefered in Spanish & Italian, respectively. And just happen that the "o" is from Late vulgar latin, because Late vulgar latin prefered the "o" ending like Archaic Latin had, (om/os.) Archaic latin, hence INHERITED "om/os" from ancient-greek.

Archaic latin "om/os"
Late vulgar latin "o"
Spanish & Italian "o"
Classical latin "um/us"
vulgar latin "u"
Romanian "u"

Oino/optumo----- (archaic latin)
uno/optimo ---(spanish)
uno/ottimo/ottimale/optimum*--- (italian)

Unus/optimum-- (classical latin)
unu/optimum --(romanian)
unu/optimu(m)-- (vulgar latin)

Whatever the case, this is interesting. And people should be aware of it.
greg   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:42 pm GMT
Jr : comment espères-tu comparer le castillan et le toscan modernes avec le scriptolatin préclassique sans comparer, au préalable, l'ancien castillan et l'ancien toscan avec l'orolatin tardif ?
augustin717   Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
unu/optimum --(romanian)

Bringing "optimum" into discussion, in the case of Romanian, at least, is usless, since this is not a word inherited from Latin, but a fairly recent loan.
Besides, all the words inherited into Romanian from Latin continue the Accusative form of the original Latin word, not the Nominative, or other case, whether they be nouns, pronouns or adjectives.
For instance: cal<calu<*callu<*caballu<caballum, not caballus.
S.P.Q.R   Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
To Octavian:

<<<Ce prieten? Frate roman (cu AHHH) distant te cred, tu fiind Italian.<<<<
Does distance matters?
PRietenul refers only to romanian people only?
Octavian   Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:41 pm GMT
No Prietenul means friend and is not restricted to Romanians. "Frate" though is means "brother" but most young Romanians use it as to reffer to their friends as brother EX: ce faci frate, what are you doing brother.

The Italian equvalent for this would be "paisan" in this sense though the word for brother is "fratello"

I simply used it to refer to you as an old distant Roman brother.

Salve
Octavian   Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
Some corrections! I type too fast!!!

No Prietenul or (prieten would be more correct) means friend and is not restricted to Romanians. "Frate" means "brother" but most young Romanians use this to reffer to their friends as brothers and is thus commonly substituted by "frate" in Romanian ebonics EX: ce faci frate, what are you doing brother.

The Italian equvalent for this, would be "paisan" in this sense. Though the word for brother is "fratello" and I don't think it is used to replace the word "friend" in Italian.

I simply used this term to refer to you as a distant Roman brother.

Salve.
Sorin   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:04 am GMT
Sorry, S.P.Q.R but you’ve lost al my credibility, for supporting that ludicrous and infantile idea, (promoted by Aldo - a troll); of Archaic Latin deriving into Italo-Ibero Romance, and suggesting the final “O” - as a direct result derived from archaic Latin’s “OI” diphthong and the OM-OS endings. This turned to be a visceral and self-involved debate, alienated by the trolls, with no linguistic reference, posting calumnies and theories elaborated over-night!

Nu merita efortu, o mare majoritate sunt "trolls" de un idiotism destructiv, ce nu inteleg sau accepta o realitate culturala, promovata de lingvisti de marca. Subcultura din vest, este un inamic cultural, promovat de un materialism feroce si o mediocritate culturala, tipica vestica.

Ei nu inteleg...ce e simplu de inteles !
Jr   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:04 am GMT
Octavian & augustin717, thanks for your contribution.

What does "salve" mean in Romanian?

"Bringing "optimum" into discussion, in the case of Romanian, at least, is usless, since this is not a word inherited from Latin, but a fairly recent loan."

thanks. Could you list an FEW words that are fairly-new or barely used words in Romanian.
Jr   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am GMT
Sorin, the terrorist is back. Wow. Qui novi?
Jr   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:14 am GMT
Endings
-os and -om (archaic-Latin)
-us and -um (classical latin)
-o (spanish)

manios (archaic)
manius (classical)
Manio(s) (spanish)

Diphthongs
oi and ei (archaic latin)
ū or oe, and ī (classical-latin)

oino (archaic)