ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN

Octavian   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:21 am GMT
"Salve" means hello and goodbye and is used in ardeal transylvania (western Romania)as a means of greeting. Also widely used in Timisoara atleast the last time I was there.

Comes directly from latin and remains unchanged.
Romans used this greeting and Romanians continue to use it.

so, Salve
Jr`   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:28 am GMT
Octavian, thanks.

bună? (hello) and pa & adio? (good bye) USED in all of Romania?

reference from;

http://www.castingsnet.com/dictionaries/
Sorin   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:36 am GMT
Aldo stop using "Jr" , you're confusing us.

As an add-on to Octavian’s explanation, the Americanism “what’s up bra” promoted by Ebonics :

“Ce faci frate” ----------in Romanian. (cheh fachey frateh)

English--------Brother
Cl.Latin--------FRATER
Romanian------FRATE
Italian----------Fratello
Spanish--------hermano
Portuguese-----irmão

In Transilvania the Italian word for Brother (Fratello) was borrowed by the Romanian gipsy.

A “Frattelo” in Romanian is a nickname for a gypsy. Because “Frate” is used among Romanians and “Frattelo” among gypsies. The reasons why a synonym for “Frate” was borrowed from Italian to designate de gypsies, is because Southern Italians are very dark, like gypsies, much darker than Romanians (which are moderately dark).

Therefore in Romanian

Ce faci FRATE ? means------------- What’s up Bra ?
Ce faci FrateLLO?------------------ What’s up NiGG..R ?

A note to Italians :

Frattelo (in Italian) and Fratelo ( In Romanian) are false friends appearing to be the same but have very different meanings. “Fratelo” is only a regionalism from Transilvania.
Octavian   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:37 am GMT
"Ceau" is widely used on the western part of romania or atleast in Timisoara "Ceau" is both used to welcome and to to say bye. In Oltenia or the southern part they use a combination of ceau "hi" and "pa" "bye". In western Romania they also say "Servus" taken directly from Classical Latin though imported from Hungarian meaning "to serve". This greeting "servus" is more formal than "ceau". Also "la revedere" litterally meaning "see you at another time" is used as a formal way of saying goodbye. "Salut" is also widely used. "Sarut-mana" litterally meaning "kiss hand" is used when greeting the elderly

More info on this matter.
Jr   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:45 am GMT
Sorin WROTE:

"Ce faci FRATE ? means------------- What’s up Bra ?
Ce faci FrateLLO?------------------ What’s up NiGG..R ? "

Me;

What is this another racial slur? against "africans" now?

Sorin, reveal yourself. Tiffany* coughs
Octavian   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:48 am GMT
"Buna" is feminine adjective and is usually aplied to with a noun. It used to be uncommon to say "buna" by itself without a noun. For example: Buna ziua=good day, buna siara= good evening. Over time "Buna" started to be used without the use of a noun and this gradualy transformed into a greeting litterally translated as "good" but meaning "have a good one". Much like "Thank you" gradually became "thanks" over time (without the need to refer to the person whom is being thanked).
Jr`   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:51 am GMT
Octavian, thank you.

What is the "standard" or "norm" when ANSWERING the; telephone in Romanian?

Italian; pronto?
Sorin   Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 am GMT
@ Aldo-Jr

There is nothing racist I can assure you ! It is rather a strange loan word borrowed by the gypsies to designate themselves. It was taken from Italian because the Italian word (Fratello) is related to Romanian (Frate) but still slightly different and because southern Italians are much darker-just like them. That simple ! And there is nothing wrong in being dark, blond, gypsy, black or yellow.
augustin717   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:01 am GMT
Jr,
There are uite important differences between let's say "urban" Romanian (the kind you hear at tv, read in the newspapers etc)-which is quite invaded by all sorts of neologisms-and the rural speech, which is more archaic (and here you have at least 4 sub-dialects that I have listed before). Liturgical Romanian is also quite archaic, full of Slavonic terms and very beautiful.

bună? (hello) and pa & adio? (good bye) USED in all of Romania?

No. These are urban greetings ("adio" is more of a litterary melodramatic greeting, unlikely to be heard in daily speech); I can tell you for sure that you won't hear these forms of greeting in the Transylvanian or Moldavian countryside, although they are understood. They are simply not used there.
In Transylvania you are more likely to hear greetings like "salve" and "servus" (even "servus tok"-"servus to all", in Hungarian) exchanged especially between city or town dwellers.
Peasants would more likely greet each other in a variety of way, most of which are not even mentioned in any Romanian handbook. I'll give you some examples:
Buna dimineata-Good morning
'mneatza buna"-the same as above, but inversed;this particular form is used more often.
buna sara-Good evening
Sara buna (more often).
Buna zua-*"Good day" (existent only in Australian English, as I know)
Noroc-"good luck"
Noroc deie Dumnezo-"May God grant you good luck".
Sanatate (deie Dumnezo)-"May God grant you health/wellfare".
Dumnezo te/va alduiasca-May God bless you.
Dumnezo cu voi -May God be with you
Formerly-but the practice goes on even to this day in many Transylvanian villages- peasants would greet each other with:"Lauda-se Iisus Hristos" (May Jesus Christ be praised) to which one would be expected to reply: "In veci. Amin" (Forever.Amen).
Between Easter and Ascension, or, at least on the week following Easter, the unique form of greeting is:
"Hristos a inviat" (Christ is risen);and the reply: "Adevarat c-a inviat" (He is risen indeed).
And the form of greeting is improvised, many times.
Octavian   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 am GMT
The norm for answering a telephone call in romanian is "Alo?" pronounced (Ahh--LL-O)=Pronto (italian)=ALO(german)=Hello (english)
Tiffany   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:15 am GMT
<<Sorin, reveal yourself. Tiffany* coughs>>

Please stop making ridiculous claims. If you've read my posts, you'll realize I do not support the way Sorin is going about denouncing all other Romance languages except Romanian and I in fact like and speak Italian. If you're going to go about making "fantastic" claims, at least do your research.

Believe me, you owe it to yourself as I've been posting much longer than you - years in fact. You'll see that in any of my posts, I could not possibly be Sorin.
Tiffany   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 am GMT
Si, in italiano, è pronto. La parola significa "ready" (forse lo sai).
Sorin   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:19 am GMT
Octavian, tu de unde ne onorezi cu prezenta ? esti peste hotare ?
augustin717, interesanta colectie de regionalisme, tu din ce zona esti ?

Daca nu va suparati !
Octavia   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 am GMT
Eu sunt peste hotare. din Canada collaborez cu voi. Tu?
CS   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:24 am GMT
I think that the most important thing to be analysed is not the pronunciation or the vocabulary, but the syntax.

I agree that many words are taken from other languages, mainly Slavic; the pronunciation was also altered.

What defines a language, however, is the syntax. I think that classical latin is not a very good starting point for the study; for reasons already posted on the forum.

As a Romanian, I found it easier to read a medieval text (e.g. Thoma D'Aquino) than a classic one. It is possible to translate word by word, preserving the noun cases, the verb tenses, etc. The result is a very "colorfull" Romanian, but it sounds well (even if is't not 100% gramatical to today's standards). And more important, the meaning is perfectly preserved, even if the theological content is very hard to digest.

I wander if the same procedure can be repeated for English or Russian :-)