French vs Italian vs Spanish vs Portuguese vs Chinese

Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
In America si studia lo spagnolo per motivi commerciali, spiccioli.
Il francese è gutturale e fa venire il catarro, non è chiaro e limpido come l'italiano. L'italiano è e sarà sempre
Pier   Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm GMT
Latin and latinate words are ugly.

Latin and latinate languages help their speakers to hide their feelings and dodge truth.

Multi-syllabic (see? ugly!) words stall talk and dull a man from dreaming and living.

Soft sounding word parts (phonemes) that start words lack strength to grab listeners.

Men fool themselves. Words are sounds, not written symbols. The pitch, the attack, the decay -- these parts of a word are what count.

Pier Johnson
http://pier-23.tripod.com
Guest   Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:09 pm GMT
For a person who speak english telling that latinate words are ugly is a totally brilliant idea!! It is like to say english is 70% ugly. Congratulations!

PS: and he would be perfectly right after all. English IS ugly
elbarto   Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
English is the ugliest, most stupid, and illogical language of all European languages, the only reason why we have to learn it, is because of the United States being the world super power, but my question is, what will happen when China, over passes the US as world's greatest country? Will we all have to learn Chinese? Chinese is so fucking ugly, their sounds are like crap, that's why Latin should be the world's official language so no one will feel inferior or superior than any one else, it is the most beautiful, precise, and original language of all, most of our words come from Latin, and hopely we all know that.
A-S   Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
<<English is the ugliest, most stupid, and illogical language of all European languages, the only reason why we have to learn it, is because of the United States being the world super power, but my question is, what will happen when China, over passes the US as world's greatest country? Will we all have to learn Chinese? Chinese is so fucking ugly, their sounds are like crap, that's why Latin should be the world's official language so no one will feel inferior or superior than any one else, it is the most beautiful, precise, and original language of all, most of our words come from Latin, and hopely we all know that. >>

"Trahit sua quemque voluptas..."
italian   Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:33 am GMT
<<L'Italiano e la piu bella lingua del mondo>>

Sounds barbaric
Americano   Tue May 08, 2007 3:20 am GMT
"English is the ugliest, most stupid, and illogical language of all European languages, the only reason why we have to learn it, is because of the United States being the world super power, but my question is, what will happen when China, over passes the US as world's greatest country? Will we all have to learn Chinese? Chinese is so fucking ugly, their sounds are like crap, that's why Latin should be the world's official language so no one will feel inferior or superior than any one else, it is the most beautiful, precise, and original language of all, most of our words come from Latin, and hopely we all know that. "

Geez.

English allows for a very wide range of expression due to its high vocabulary count. Any language that provides communication for such a large portion of the world is going to be a large flux of many ethnic groups over history.

It still held up very well over the centuries, and there are worse languages that offer less ranges of expression, such as German. Or maybe slavic languages, I cant speak to those.

Expression is the main judge of a language, not its "ugliness" or its difficulty.
I think French isnt nearly as beautiful as most people do, and I prefer Spanish. French is thought of as ELITE, like English.
The rest of the european languages are not on par as far as being elite is concerned, to most of us. Due to both of those languages dominating the rich and powerful nations of history, its created that stigma.

Spanish is the language that I study (I'm an anglo, otherwise known as an American).
Today, the western world is English dominated by far, and the future. But French and Spanish are great utility languages.

English is the only language that holds a candle to Mandarins speaker count. Roughly equal if you add in both natives and 2nd language learners for both. Higher native mandarin, still high native english.. but English is very high for a 2nd language.. causing parity between the two.

Chinese will never leave China, its to complex. More so than English, which truley takes a feat.

And I knew which carmel/caramel was correct. Caramel, I've heard it pronounced correctly to many times and carmel just doenst "sound right". Any halfway educated anglo could answer this correctly with a few seconds of thought.

The language of Shakespeare is not ugly.. neither is the language of Cervantes.. you smallminded twits.
Guest   Tue May 08, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
Americano=Stereotypes.

<<The language of Shakespeare is not ugly.. >>

Easy to say, when you wrote "I'm an anglo".

<<English allows for a very wide range of expression due to its high vocabulary count. Any language that provides communication for such a large portion of the world is going to be a large flux of many ethnic groups over history.
>>

The only good reason of that english is the lingua franca, it's the economic power rules of USA and UK, only.

I named this the "anglo-saxonic idiot positivism" or the "I'm native english, learn english, it's the best one".
Americano   Tue May 08, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
"<<The language of Shakespeare is not ugly.. >>

Easy to say, when you wrote "I'm an anglo". "

Sure. To bad I find Spanish equally beautiful when used properly, as well. And I pretty much stated that in my post with the Cervantes reference, moron.

I am an anglo. I appear to have a more open mind to other languages than you do, even though my first language is the worlds most important. Kinda sad, I should be the ethnocentric fascist like you, no?

"The only good reason of that english is the lingua franca, it's the economic power rules of USA and UK, only. "

The only reason any language reaches lingue franca. Nice attempt at a put down for English, too bad that you have no point.
Yes its the de facto language, and being used by the most powerful nations in the world is the reason. Darn?

"I named this the "anglo-saxonic idiot positivism" or the "I'm native english, learn english, it's the best one". "

Huh? No one said its the best one. But it is the one you are using right now to read my words.
Of course you should learn English, unless you want to enjoy the fruits of a 2nd or 3rd world nation? Its your decision, and I could care less if you desire to be lower class or not.
I'd probably prefer you didnt use my "ugly language", as you will simply be easier to dominate in the global economy if you refused to use it.

I think we have a lot of bitter non-Anglos in the house! And its hilarious because you fight a futile fight.

Enjoy your studies of Latin and other languages.
I also love Latin and Spanish, but I'm glad I'm not filled with self-hatred as you are. I can feel good about using both.
Hope you've truley ENJOYED reading this in ENGLISH!!! AAHHHHHHH English! You love it!
Guest   Tue May 08, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
Explain clearly why English is beautiful.

For your personal information I know already 6 languages, including English and Spanish, English isn't my native language, and for me, it's more easier to have an opinion about English, and its phonology.
You're JINGOIST.

""""Hope you've truley ENJOYED reading this in ENGLISH!!! AAHHHHHHH English! You love it! """"

Oh yes! I screw English!!!
Guest   Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
English is beautiful due to what I've already said. It has a very wide range of expression, and if you need examples of the beauty of the English language I would suggest some Shakespeare. If you haven't read Shakespeare then you do not "know" English.

6 languages is nice, but I'm guessing this means the ability to communicate in those languages. Vulgar Latin languages are similar enough that it doesn't particularly impress me if you "know" French, Italian, Spanish, Portugese or Catalan.
I doubt you have read much Shakespearian works, or Don Quixote for that matter.
I could slap together some conjegations and communicate in many languages to, but each and every one of them has a deep and long relationship that I doubt you've taken the time to really take in.

Thus, your true understanding is limited. Which is sad, because that ignorance results in you hating a wonderful language such as English.
From your comments, I'm beginning to wonder if you know who Cervantes is, or if you've ever read any Shakespeare or Hugo at all.
You couldn't have, to speak such blasphemy towards any of the wonderful Indo-European languages. Which at the core, are all very similar.

It is clear the educational system of wherever you are from in Europe, is lacking. I am sure that you wish you were born in the UK or US, which is where your hatred for the anglo stems from.
Guest   Tue May 08, 2007 6:11 pm GMT
<<<<
English is beautiful due to what I've already said. It has a very wide range of expression, and if you need examples of the beauty of the English language I would suggest some Shakespeare. If you haven't read Shakespeare then you do not "know" English.
>>>>

Sorry, it means nothing.
It's about PHONOLOGY.

Yes I know Shakespeare, Dickens, Juan Ruiz de Alarcón or Miguel de Cervantes.

<<<<It is clear the educational system of wherever you are from in Europe, is lacking. I am sure that you wish you were born in the UK >>>>

No, I prefer my country, Uk is UGLY, the weather is so bad, only clouds and smogs.

<<<<or US >>>>

No comments.
elbarto   Sun May 13, 2007 2:42 am GMT
No one is denying that it is the "world's language", at least for now anyways, but as I mentioned before, it doesn't mean that it is "the best one" even if it had a billion words, (which by the way, almost all of them are taken from other languages).

The ultimate language should be one that beats all the others in most categories, for example spelling, in which Spanish and Italian take the lead, you won't find any language more precise than these two, (about English, I already explained how it doesn't even have logical rules, among other things), it also has to sound nice, in this case, it would depend on what we consider to be "nice", most people would probably say French, and the ugliest phonetically speaking would be any Asian language, (though the problem with French is almost the same as with English, spelling has nothing to do with pronunciation, although French has more rules than English, which is good... you need a reason to why it is written the way it is, so can follow it.

The United States is not going to be the most powerful country for ever, that means that in the future, people in the States will get mad cuz they have to learn another language to be able to speak with other people, even though China will probably overpass the US as the world’s super power, is more likely that Chinese won’t be the “International language” because of the reasons I explained above, but if any other country, (ex. Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Argentina, etc. ) becomes a world super power, then in fact everyone will have to, and will want to learn those languages.
Guest   Sun May 13, 2007 10:17 am GMT
European Union is the futur most powerful country (EU is already the most powerful economic place), and after? China.
Elbarto   Mon May 14, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
EU is not a country, is a union of different nations, and even if it was a country, a lot of different languages are spoken in Europe, therefore they wouldn't impose their language worldwide, because they don't have just one.

As for Russia, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, etc. they have the size to become world super powers and they all speak European languages, so if any of them becomes what the United States is now, then maybe all the people will have to learn Russian.

And I don't think we want to have a new "World Language" every century right? that's why I strongly support the idea of having Latin as lingua franca as soon as possible, so no matter what country is in the power, we'll all speak the same language when going some place else, and no one will fee,l that their language is superior or inferior than another, cuz no one speaks Latin.