The state of British English

Guest   Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:30 pm GMT
URIEL: I have tasted a yeast tablet and I virtually spat it out.....nae for me really. I've seen loads of stuff in the supermarket (I worked in a s/mkt when I was at uni) with yeast content. To me, yeast is something in bread mainly......I eat wholemeal mostly or lovely nutty granary bread and rolls...especially when they're still warm..yum!

As I said, with Marmite the "likers and loathers" seem to be split down the middle. Having a piece of granary or wholemeal toast spread with a thin layer of butter.... or low cal spread....then a thin spread of Marmite... while the toast is still hot or at least warm ...is really nice.

I like peanut butter but don't have it often (isn't it very calorific?) although many people do. You can get different kinds...smooth or crunchy....I like the crunchy like I do many things with that choice.

Maybe your Russian friends didn't like it because it was new to them?

When I worked at the s/mkt we had loads and loads of East Europeans ...incl Russians and Ukrainians...come in (they work here in the UK on temp summer visas). They used to load up their trolleys with the store brand stuff and more basic "value" stuff which are a lot cheaper but at the same time load up with cases of beer and bottles of vodka! I think a full bot of vodka costs about £12 (US $21). LOL

Must shoot off out for the night now.....cheers!
Damian   Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:32 pm GMT
Guest = Damian oops! :-)
Uriel   Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:51 pm GMT
No, the one with the yeast tablets was Deborah. I didn't know such a thing existed. And, now that I do ...ew. (To me, yeast is either a major ingredient in bread or a, ahem, personal problem...)

It cracks me up when I see the word "lurve" ... I always want to rhyme it with "scurvy". It sounds like something that would give you a rash. (Although I suppose it CAN, technically....)

I have never heard of Shrove Tuesday. We call the Tue. before Lent "Mardi Gras" (when we call it anything), and pancakes are not on the menu...which is mostly liquid. But then, you don't really need a special day to celebrate pancakes! They're good any day! (I've never rolled them up though -- sounds like a good way to get maple syrup all over your lap.)

Deborah -- you can't take Russion opinions of peanut butter seriously -- these are people who eat BEETS...VOLUNTARILY!
Thaïs   Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:48 pm GMT
Here in Brazil we call French fries simply FRITAS (=fries).
I often wonder how come you call them ''French''?!
I think their are a part of Belgian cuisine, not French.
Sander   Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:53 pm GMT
Fries are part of the Flemish and Dutch cuisine. They were 'invented' to make something different from the potatoe. (which then knew only 2 real ways to prepare it bake or cook it :-)

They are called Friet,Patat (very creative) Patates Frites
P   Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:32 pm GMT
Thais,

It is originally form Belgium.
Sander   Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:33 pm GMT
P,

no
Uriel   Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:21 pm GMT
I don't know why they're called French fries. I didn't personally invent the term. I suspect it may be because we already gave the Belgians credit for the waffle. (sarcasm alert)
Meh   Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:52 am GMT
You're all confused. "French Fries" wasn't named so because of its nationality of origin... it didn't matter that it came about in Belgium or could have from Timbuktu. It was named this either because of the way the potatoes were prepared; "frenched" meaning cut into strings, or "french-fried" potatoes (a la francaise).

Meh!
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:06 am GMT
So, frenched = julienned?
Geoff_One   Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:08 am GMT
In one part of Australia (South Australia), peanut butter is called
peanut paste.
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:01 am GMT
That's probably a better term -- it's not that much like butter.

But "peanut paste" doesn't sound that appetizing, I have to admit!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:11 am GMT
My sincere apologies to DEBORAH! I did know it was you, but for some reason I put URIEL'S name down......the Russian connection told me it was Deborah!
Adam   Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:04 am GMT
They're called Freedom Fries, now.
Damian   Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:21 pm GMT
In the supermarkets the packs of really thin fries (like you get at Macdonalds) are called American Fries.