The state of British English

Sander   Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:59 pm GMT
=>peanut butter is called
peanut paste.<=

In Dutch it's 'Pindakaas' (peanut cheese) oh the irony! :-)
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:19 pm GMT
Damian Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:21 pm GMT
In the supermarkets the packs of really thin fries (like you get at Macdonalds) are called American Fries.

We have an even thinner variety called "shoestring potatoes", and they (used to, anyway) invariably have a British cartoon character called Andy Capp on the bag!
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:24 pm GMT
And now that I think about it, the big fat fries that you call "chips" we call "steak fries".
Adam   Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:49 pm GMT
Why was Andy Capp on a packet of chips?
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:19 pm GMT
No idea. I guess the creator of the comic strip wanted to make more money by licensing it out. I never saw the connection either.
Queen Isabel   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 am GMT
I should care 4 some chips
Damian in EH12   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:41 pm GMT
When the chips are down I go for crisps every time. Prawn flavour...yummy scrummy.
Uriel   Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:50 pm GMT
PRAWN flavour? (Uggh!)
Damian   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:12 pm GMT
Prawn is sae gustie....dinnae condemn afore you sample! :-) Beef and onion then? Cheese and onion? Chilli if you like it hot.

I bet ADAM goes for boring ready salted plain......

Chips/fries......it's so weird that the thin, thin fries contain more cals than the thick chip-shop ones!
Adam   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
Prawn cocktail.

Cheen and onion.

A few years ago, in Britain, they sold hedgehog flavour.
greg   Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Adam : incroyable !!!
Uriel   Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:18 am GMT
Prickly business, too, grinding up the hedgehogs. I'll stick to sour cream and onion, cheese, guacamole, and (if there's nothing else) barbecue.
Deborah   Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:47 am GMT
DAMIAN, my Russian friends might never try peanut butter again, to see whether they like it, because their first experience was with *very rancid* peanut better -- and that, I'm sure, is why they didn't like it. If you've ever had anything made with rancid oil, you'll know how nasty it is.

URIEL, one of the things I liked about Russian food was the frequent appearance of beets at the table!
Uriel   Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:52 am GMT
Beets are a punishment, not a food....

I hear Australians defile hamburgers with them.
Guest   Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:05 am GMT
Mmmmm sweet beeetrooooot... the only thing that can refine a greasy, fatty, stinky, unctuous burger.