Best way to Learn British English?

Uriel   Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:55 am GMT
Going to school? No, I graduated from college years ago. I'm done.

I wasn't being heated, just sarcastic. :)
Uriel   Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:02 am GMT
We BITE? That's a new one!

Now we've gone from uncaring to sadistic.*

*Mistress Uriel is available by appointment only. Discipline by the hour. Please bring your OWN rubber mat.
Madelein   Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:14 am GMT
Yes Im sorry... South Africa
Uriel   Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 am GMT
Madelein, go to Langcafe to find the people you're looking for. :)
Uriel   Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:36 am GMT
Click here:

http://langcafe.net/
Madelein   Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:20 am GMT
Thank you very much Uriel
Rolls   Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:53 pm GMT
Uriel your so helpful and caring! I was wrong in my assumptions before.
Uriel   Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
SSSHHHHH! Don't tell anybody! You'll wreck my image!
Rolls   Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:36 am GMT
Everybody URIEL IS HELPFUL AND NICE sometimes ruff when Adam and Sander start to disagree.
Jane D   Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:30 am GMT
You shouldn't learn British English.
My aunt went to London, and she asked one lady on the street. She used British English...But the lady responded her in some dialect...

Stick to American English. It's better.

Greets from Austria
Rolls   Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:18 am GMT
And why not Jane? Isn't British English more proper for London?
Uriel   Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:16 am GMT
Well, people will reply in whatever dialect THEY speak, not what YOU speak. You can ask me something in a British accent, but I'm going to reply in my own.... (I can't do a British accent, and you probably don't want to hear me try!)
Damian in Alba   Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:07 am GMT
**My aunt went to London, and she asked one lady on the street. She used British English...But the lady responded her in some dialect...**

JANE......here is some adivice for you or any other relative of yours who decides to visit London:

If you stop someone in the street at random and ask for directions, even in your best assumed cut glass most British of British Englishes you must expect the unexpected 9 out of 10 times:

1 Me no speak English

2 Can you repeat that please.....slowly....I'm from Turkmenistan

3 No idea...I'm fae Glesca / Blaenau Ffestiniog / Lapland / Buenos Aires / Moldova / Ouagadougou / Pago Pago / Chipping Sodbury / Uppsala / Murmansk / Krung Thep / Wagga Wagga / Bydgoszcz / Ashby de la Zouch/ Milton Keynes.....

Aye...stick to your own accent - I reckon you'll feel more at home as there are plenty similar accents out and about in London....just one prob.....most likely they will have no idea how to get to the Vic and Bertie museum. (sorry...Victoria and Albert).

Don't ever expect the person you stop in a London street to be a native born Brit, or if you do, that s/he will actually come from London.
Uriel   Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:00 pm GMT
Good point, Damian!
Rolls   Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:33 pm GMT
Uriel - cmon you can do a great accent - practice practice you'll be a proper Kate Winslet voice in no time!

Damian - your description is just the same but spot on in NY also, stopping to ask sometimes you'll get the above or even another language -

-Se habla espanol

-Ca va? mais no anglais

-One I've heard is the no-speakers - people if you ask they just nod or point

I guess every large city has some things in common!

I actually was in a Starbucks in Times Square and got to hear some of the rare UK(meaning I hardly ever hear it here) accent in NY,

"Uh excuse me sir, I'd like one large Frappucino to go mate. Awesome mate thanks."