Best way to Learn British English?

Damian   Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:43 am GMT
CANDY: COME ON WAKEY WAKEY!!!!!!!! [Damian gives her a bit of a shake] ....hae a guid time, my bonnie wee Sassenach lassie.

Michael Fish...I don't remember it personally at the time Candy as I was only 5 but it's part of "bloopers" history and the guy will never live it down apparently.

ROLLS: Working as I do now in the world of journalism and reporting on everything that moves and breathes, it's obvious that exaggeration and over hype is often part of the scene. Of course Scots like their drink but it's certainly not the case that everyone is blootered out of their brains and it's the same in England! The British media have this very of concentrating and emphasising on the negative and ignoring the positive. Bad news is good news and good news is boring news and is ignored. Some of the British tabloid press (sadly the most widely read) is mega sensationalist.....read it with a whole lot of salt.

Most European countries drink every bit as much as does the UK (many more so) but the difference comes in how they do it....and how they behave. The UK does have a binge drinking culture but it's mostly at weekends....on the Continent they sup (responsibly) every day. Some Brits can go wild on their sessions and that is what you see reported in the media. It happens abroad as well.

It's true that alcohol causes problems in the streets late at night on weekends but of course it's not a case of "everyone getting bladdered and falling over" either here in Scotland or anywhere else. Rose Street here in Edinburgh is lined with pubs, restaurants, bistros, wine bars etc and even on Saturday/Sunday nights, or any other night, you'd have to walk up and down the whole length (pretty long btw!) quite a long time before you see people fall over. And all those places are really crowded and lively

In 1999 I went with a school party to Romania to see an eclipse of the sun and we all had to stay with local families (amazing experience that was!) and the adults drank vodka at breakfast. Unless they're chronic alkies Brits don't do that!

London operates top rate....it's the largest business and financial centre in Europe and the SE of England is the most prosperous, wealthiest region in Europe.....how could that be the case if everyone was out of their skulls with the old pop?
Uriel   Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
We take no offense, Rolls. If we bore you, you would probably bore us.
Don't lie, Damian -- you're snockered every day!
Rolls   Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:08 pm GMT
Yeah but Uriel, your orignally from Europe right? You've transformed into an American eh?

British women accent's are so nice, Sienna Miller's voice in Layer Cake for example.

Is there really a difference in US and British women? Different styles, eh?

I think so...
Guest   Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
I was just playing about the English girlfriend thing. Its cool.

Hey but if I knew one, then I could learn the language better, mais oui?
Rolls   Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
Last guest me.
Uriel   Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:48 am GMT
No, I was born American. I just didn't move there until I was five.
RollsBentley   Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 am GMT
I see thats cool.
Uriel   Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:09 am GMT
I'm sure there is a difference between American and British women -- and I'm sure someone on this board with eventually (and indignantly) enlighten us as to what that difference might be. Haven't known that many myself, so I couldn't tell you. But I would imagine that having one as an in-house dictionary/encyclopedia/love-slave would do wonders for your quest for the Perfect Queen's English. Have you considered taking out an ad for one?
RoLLs   Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:18 am GMT
Not really, I had a bad experience with an online girl buddy, and to tell you the truth I don't want to use the Internet ever again to find a buddy like that. I would rather travel around and meet a buddy from an inperson meeting, not the internet, I used to have trust, but this girl totally changed my views...

But all in all, having a pal that is from the land and speeks Queens English would be so awesome then I could learn properly and ask questions on words, you are limited by movies, forums and the internet at some point and a real person is more what I would want to hear...

Like for example, I am reading posts, and when I read them I am wondering what accent I should be thinking of, like Adam is from the UK so his posts should be thought of in British English, and Damien in scottish english and sander dutch english and so forth, but a real person would be awesome, after my last experience though all in all I doubt that would ever happen...

In my dreams though it can be a possibility.
RoLLs   Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:38 am GMT
And you know what if it never works out, thats why I am so amazed at dreams because there what you had wanted and what you had thought up becomes real and then only awaking into reality are those dreams destroyed...

I used to have a very different view of girls before...

You can always imagine, but I will practice anyway the Queen's English

Thinking about that girl has darkened my towers...and brought the pain back...

*sighs*

Anyway I'll get to the point,

Top Ten Reasons for Being German
RoLLs   Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:43 am GMT
British or European girls just seemed a bit more caring thats why I was interested...

I don't know, look it has been great but I did not want to think about that girl but it came back...Now I must off to sleep to dream...
Uriel   Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:17 am GMT
Well, it's a full-time job being a cold, heartless bitch but the hours are good....
Joanne   Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 am GMT
Damn, girl... bad day at work? ;)
Uriel   Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:01 am GMT
Every day that I'm forced to toil for the grubby pittance that my so-called "boss" grudgingly throws at me twice a month is a bad frickin' day -- Why, hi, Joanne! How are you doing today? :)
Rolls   Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:04 pm GMT
Uriel, don't be heated, your going to school right? So eventually you should get into something you like.