World languages

huesped   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:03 am GMT
<< Тhe next century will be EASTERN-CENTRIC. The west will sink to Arabic and Chinese and Russian. And thus, it'll be needed to learn these languages. English will go the way of French. >>

Arabic? I don't think so. First that culture has a lot of hurdles to jump and a lot of catching up to do. Also, many Arabs use English and French with each other and foreigners because in reality, Arabic is various dialects with a standard that is not learned natively or even prefered over the the dialects.

Russian? Many countries have moved away from Russian and it would be hard regain it's influence with ''oppressing'' more people. Besides, Russia has the highest negative fertility rate in the world right now.

China? Here it is possible, but only if the USA (and next the EU) lose their dominance of global influence, but there are to many factors involved for both sides for us to see now: politics, business/economics, science/technology war, instability, cultural influence. Basically, there many uncertainties as to what could happen this century.
huesped   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 am GMT
...it would be hard to regain its influence without ''oppressing'' more people.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 am GMT
without oppressing people, but who says they wont oppress people>
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 am GMT
Yes, whichever language will be the most important in the future will be the one of the country which does the most oppressing.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:52 am GMT
Can we leave JLK alone with his western centric garbage?This is a WORLD Language thread,not a China basing club..._Javanese

Javanese, I don't think JLK is a typical westerner. I'm an American, and probably western-centric, but even I don't have those kinds of unusual ideas.

Trollette and JLK are really unusual.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 am GMT
I think Trollete and JLK (both dislike hispanics) have a forum together somewhere in cyberspace, but I'm unsure about this.
Gues   Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 am GMT
Their forum was a complete failure.
JLK   Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:21 am GMT
<<Can we leave JLK alone with his western centric garbage?This is a WORLD Language thread,not a China basing club..._Javanese

Javanese, I don't think JLK is a typical westerner. I'm an American, and probably western-centric, but even I don't have those kinds of unusual ideas.

Trollette and JLK are really unusual.>>

Perhaps it is you who is the atypical westerner...There is nothing unusual about my ideas, they are very common in Europe and much of North America. I could really care less whether an ignorant American like yourself disagrees. Tu comprends?
JLK   Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am GMT
Don't believe that impostor. I'm Flemish and proud of it.
JLK   Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:38 am GMT
<<Don't believe that impostor. I'm Flemish and proud of it.>>

This is the same troll/impersonator that has shadowed my posts for months. Why has he not been banned yet? Does the administration find it amusing? Sorry, rhetorical question, it is very amusing. And to all of you who are so adamantly offended by my posts, I must say, it really inflates my ego. Keep the attacks coming. Other than giving me a hearty laugh, it accomplishes nothing. By for now.

-Antimoon Contributor,

JLK
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:24 am GMT
Their forum was a complete failure_Guest

I wonder why. It seems like the people who were interested in that forum were mostly interested in Germanic languages and French.
Perhaps that's why it failed-not enough variety.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 am GMT
I thought you were banned, JLK. Your opinions are not easy to understand. It's like you go into an ice cream shop with 40 choices and you insist that only wintergreen and unflavored sorbet are world-class tastes.
JLK   Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:36 am GMT
If you find my opinions difficult to understand than why are you commenting on them?<reason is your friend>

Yes, I was banned, unjustly at that. But it didn't do very much did it? I feel obliged to continue my visits for the benefit of the forum. Some people here disagree and are angered by my opinions, including noble Brennus. But at least I present mine in an intelligent and well-thought manner. That is a rarity at antimoon.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 am GMT
I don't understand several things, JLK.

1. How do you benefit the forum? I translate things, so others can read them. Do you have linguistic insights? Can you explain grammar? I would love to see some positive output from you.

2. I know that you are interested in parallel texts, but other than that, it seems like all you offer is geopolitical rants.

3. If your home (troll?) forum is banned, why don't you start your own political with language forum.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 am GMT
JKL may think he is useful, but all he says is political and cultural stuff, and this is not a political forum, so he's not useful at all.