what are the practical steps to speak english fluently

giri   Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:35 am GMT
Sure Guest
Giri   Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 am GMT
Hi please anyone teach me that how can i use these words(rather,would,could,couldbe,being) while i speak ?
giri   Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am GMT
we clarified the problem as per the discussion , there was no problem detected if i see anything up-normal,I will inform you assoonas i get the alert. as of now i am working for on that only and i keep my eyes on that only.

Please any one clarify me that the above sentence whether it is corrrect or not?
Giri   Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:31 am GMT
Hi yesterday i had sent two messages but yet now i did not get any reply,If any one can please answer my previous questions, it will be very useful for me. please update me. I am eagarly waiting for the reply.

(Please correct my written skill, If i made any mistakes)
giri   Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:32 am GMT
No response
Abraham   Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:35 pm GMT
Hi K.T.,
Thanks a lot for your help.I highly appreciate it.
You are right when i am prepared and go and make a presentation i have little problems but when i am unprepared and they ask my views on a particular topic that is when i face problem and start to stammer.i want to have a free flow of words without stammering.
Kind Regards,
Abraham.
K. T.   Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
In this case, then I think you need to mentally practice (without worrying, if possible) things you may need to say if asked. What topics are typically discussed in your social or work spheres? If you need a second to think, use "Well" or "Hmm" to pace yourself before you start in on a topic. It will buy you a little time to compose your thoughts.

You could also try to become aware of how you breathe when you are faced in these situations. If you start to breathe too fast, then you'll need to slow down.

Why is this important? Well, some people stutter in English when they speak, but not when they sing. Good singers know how to control their breath, but so do good speakers, imo.

Since I don't know the exact situations which cause you discomfort, I'll suggest some things. Stall with these, if you need time to compose your words. People LOVE to talk about themselves. Memorize sentences to get the heat off of you and to make them think you are well-mannered and thoughtful or polite.

"I'd like to hear more about your views."

"Could you tell me a little more about topic X?"

"I'd like to think about that (topic) a little more. Could I get back to you in an hour, later this afternoon, in a few minutes?"

"I see. Tell me a little me your thoughts. I'd like to know more about how you think."

Also, you may want to try what I suggested to Giri: shadowing a speaker or speaking along with a speaker through the use of recordings. Not only will this help with intonation (I use it in my personal foreign language studies.), but also with the accent and rhythm of native-sounding English.

Again,

I wish you the best.
K. T.   Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
Giri,

Your question has many parts. I suggest that you present it as a new thread here. It will be doubly helpful if you can show how you are having difficulty with the words you mentioned (could, would, could be, etc.) by giving examples you don't understand (for example, from a test at school)...the natives seem willing to help if you can provide specific questions for discussion.

K. T.
K. T.   Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
"I see. Tell me a little MORE about your thoughts." LOL!

Correction for Abraham.
Abraham   Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
Hi K.T.,

Thanks for your help.Also i need to slow down on my rate of

speech.I tend to speak very fast.

Warm Regards,

Abraham.
Gabriel   Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:30 pm GMT
A useful technique to help you slow down (and avoid stammering) while you speak is to listen to your own voice with a slight delay (in the order of 50-250 ms). I'm not sure why it works, but maybe it makes the speaker more aware of the flow of their speech so they can adjust accordingly. I know that there's a software application that allows to do just this. It's available online, but I cannot find it now.
Abraham   Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:21 pm GMT
Hi Josh and Gabriel,

Your willingness to help people must be highly appreciated.May God bless

you all.Ameen.

Kind Regards,

Abraham.
Gabriel   Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:49 pm GMT
<<Hi Josh and Gabriel,

Your willingness to help people must be highly appreciated.May God bless

you all.Ameen>>

And may He touch you with His Noodly Appendage.
Guest   Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:45 pm GMT
Hail Discordia!
Jenny   Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:49 am GMT
Please help me.. because i'm having difficulty with my english grammar and my writing. I can not able to write a good sentence and speak fluently. When i writing an email reply or report with my boss i feel unconfortable and satisified with my english. Because is not really good. Please help me.. Thank you so much!