what are the practical steps to speak english fluently

K. T.   Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:19 pm GMT
To AJ:

Converse, other people, English, comfortable, create a good image.
omar   Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
hi to all
all of you ask how i can improve my english in speaking there is 7 rules this will learn you how you can speak english in short time and without books and note.

i was zero in english but when i was learn this 7 rules i became better than in the past and still use this rules to improve my voucabulary

i advice everyone want to know how speak english go to this website and subscribe it is very very nice and easy without complications.

http://www.EffortlessEnglishClub.com/free.html

thank to all.
ali   Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
hii to all

all of people speake english with hesitiation because you don't have eough confidence to do this,make a big confidence by your self and let your mind come out the words by self wthout thinking . this is the only reason make you hesitiation when you speak in english .

thank to all.
lucylu   Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:11 am GMT
I practice my english with a native english lady.
i talk and listen 3 times a week
i use skype, but she can telephone too
www.canadianenglishonline.com
i pay 145.00 for 1 month! thats cheap
rasha   Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 am GMT
hi everyone. iwant to say that ilove english and i can understand what pepole say in english but icant speak well please help me if you can
thanks alote
beneficii   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:03 am GMT
Achin Jain,

"I believe we have to _conversate_ in english with other person so that it will help us to speak in english more fluently and we will feel more confirtable to speak in english and will create our good image in front of others."

Quit getting your input from George W. Bush! It's bad for English! (Trust me, it's even bad for native speakers' English!)
beneficii   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:05 am GMT
Instead, get your input from this far cleverer source:

http://vault-co.blogspot.com/
beneficii   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:08 am GMT
beneficii,

"Quit getting your input from George W. Bush! It's bad for English! (Trust me, it's even bad for native speakers' English!)"

Correction. That should be "It's bad for [your] English!"
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:01 am GMT
WTF are you reading? It's bad for your mind!
beneficii   Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
Guest,

You must be a "monkey in manpants":

"Nothing works in the 'Kwa. Everything is a lie in the 'Kwa. The 'Kwa is a failure at every level that a nation-state can wash out."
K. T.   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
beneficii,

I think you are teasing AJ too much. I already gave AJ some hints for corrections. If you want to go mad, just start correcting the MANY people who don't bother to read the suggestions or write a simple sentence in English.

You were right about another poster, though. Some people need to slow down and just take in more English (input) before they try to write advanced-sounding English or try more complicated spoken forms.

Those who are careless and want a guick fix for their English problems won't find it here. The creators of this website have some great suggestions for improvement, though, and many posters will help you if you ask specific questions.

Need help with English?

Write simple sentences correctly.

Read the stories of the creators of this website.

Use pronunciation software to compare your speech with native speech.

If you had a teacher with poor pronunciation, find native speech on the internet and listen. Listen to news videos, human interest segments of newscasts in cities (if you would like a North American accent) and DON'T
give up!

You may have to listen for probably an hour a day for three or four months before you start getting (understanding) the jokes. If this is too much time, listen for fifteen minutes a day. Play an internet video more than once to catch missed words.

Except for children and stories of tongues, I have never met or heard of anyone who acquired another language without effort. Even gifted hyperpolyglots (people who speak more than six languages) have to put in some time and effort.
K.T.   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
"Except for children and stories of tongues, I have never met or heard of anyone who acquired another language without effort. Even gifted hyperpolyglots (people who speak more than six languages) have to put in some time and effort."

Actually, even with the children, they have to take effort too, but they may just not remember it:

(Under the "Children learn languages easily" section)

"The apparent effortlessness [in a child learning a language] is largely an illusion caused by psychological distance. We just don't remember how hard it was to learn language. (In fact, there's some studies suggesting that memory is tied to language, so that we can't remember the language learning process.) The perception of effortlessness should be balanced, anyway, by the universal amusement (which some cartoonists have been mining for nearly half a century) over children's language mistakes."

With regards to AJ, maybe. Still, you cannot deny that that Vault-Co guy has some good prose.
beneficii   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
Oh no, Did I just say I was K.T. (in the message posted at Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:12 pm GMT) and forget to post the link to the source I was quoting? Well, never fear the corrections are here!

I was addressing K.T. in the message posted at Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:12 pm GMT and I was quoting:

http://www.zompist.com/whylang.html
K. T.   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:56 pm GMT
I am, gasp, a language geek.

beneficii, there is a lot on that page and a lot that students of English should read.

It is true that it does take effort for some children of a certain age. I remember an American girl with a French mother who was plopped down in a public school in France maybe twice for a year (in second and fourth grade) and she HATED it. I heard her talking with her Mom in French and ouch! it was the local countrified version of southern English with French, maybe Southern French. She suffered and did NOT acquire a native-sounding French accent even though she spoke with her mom frequently in French and had the early exposure.
hasni(morocco)   Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
hi thank u for ur advices its was very interesting to me and for every body so by the way many moroccan wish to spk english but they always find some troubles with it bcs moroccan at firt learn fransh language thank u again