I'm not good at spoken English.

abdul   Monday, April 28, 2003, 04:53 GMT
I read in this forum several weeks or months ago that one of the tips to improve English speaking was by speaking slowly. I tried this method. By speaking slowly, we are more ready in "preparing" the things we are going to say. We have more preparation when the time has come to speak. Ofcourse, we need to speak everyday. There's no other way, that we must speak English everyday.

So far, I have tried to speak English slowly.
Das Behälter   Wednesday, April 30, 2003, 17:07 GMT
David Bosch: @:o)

Einige Wörter, die Sie schrieben, sind britisch.

Maths (UK) = Math (US)

We in the US say "math" as a whole, where British say "maths" as in parts. Each equation would be a math.

And again:

Brill (UK) = Cool or Brilliant (US)
David Bosch   Thursday, May 01, 2003, 03:04 GMT
Oh!, I see, I guess that means I am really learning British here in London.
Haleem   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 13:49 GMT
hi dear!
today i am going to share with a problem which suffered me almost every where. The problem is that i cant speak english and cant provnounce english word correctly.
Simon   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 14:16 GMT
Son't get a complex David. In any language you have to adjust your register. If you need the extras/differences etc. that constitute American learn these. It's not like everyone speaks exclusively British English or American English.
Simon   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 14:54 GMT
Spot the deliberate spelling mistake above.
MunchkinLad   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 18:09 GMT
'Son't' instead of 'Don't'?

Children learn languages faster than anyone and they're not afraid to make mistakes. I'd think that so long as you're speaking to someone who can correct you it's better to speak more and be corrected (also the more you speak the more you should hear replies and pick up grammar) than to not speak because you're afraid of saying something incorrect.
dumira   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 09:38 GMT

I have some problems writing in English, mostly spelling.

Yes, I speak in correct English when I speak slowly.

When I speak to someone whose English is not that great, I try to speak correct English .

i like to learn english with joy.
David Bosch   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 03:02 GMT
MunchkinLad:
yes, exactly, and that's why it is that easy to children to learn a language.
The more you practise, the better your english gets.
Boy   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 13:49 GMT
I'm writing right here a bit late because my computer was destroyed right after April 26 and some of my friends were saying that it was the day of virus. My hard disk was cleaned up, and mother board was not functioning well. Now, I have replaced all parts of the computer again.

David,

Indeed, your situations were absolutely perfect. I'd try to create some on my own terms. I'd better start with an easy one as you know my English level is not as much advanced as yours.

The another thing that I've encountered is not found a pal who corrects my mistakes in my e-mails. I wanna one.

Apart from, What I think about Learning skills of a chldren is they first get enough input through listening and then they try to speak. Their concentration level is amazing because their minds don't have any other contents. Their minds pick up things fast. For us, adults, we've accumulated so many things in our minds that our concentration
level is now become slower and quite damaged as compared to the children.

Take it from me, If I had started learning English at a kid age, I'd have learned the language quickly because my concentration level should have to play a major role.

KT   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 15:25 GMT
Boy:

I don't think "destroyed" was the right word to decribe your computer. Destroyed means ruined completely, demolished, torn down, or broken up. If your computer could be fixed by replacing a few parts, it was probably not "destroyed".

The word "wanna" is a contraction of "want to" and "want a". "I wanna one" means "I want to one" or "I want a one" which are both incorrect. You can write "I want one" or "I wanna have one".

Hope this helps.
<>   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 18:18 GMT
Boy, If this isn't prying could you tell us what your native language is?

David, I think I'd have said: "that's why it is that easy *for* children to learn a language."
David Bosch   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 20:29 GMT
One question:
What is 'unleashed', does it have to do with freedom?
KT   Friday, May 09, 2003, 07:54 GMT
"leash" from Dictionary.com
n.
1. A chain, rope, or strap attached to the collar or harness of an animal, especially a dog, and used to lead it or hold it in check.
2. Control or restraint: emotions kept in leash.
tr. v.
To restrain with or as if with a leash.

"unleash" from Dictionary.com:
To release or loose from or as if from a leash

If you unleashed your puppy then he would gain freedom.
If you unleashed your emotions then you would LOL when you're happy, that is to free your emotions.

Is this the answer you were looking for?
Boy   Friday, May 09, 2003, 11:05 GMT
KT:

Thank you very much for correcting a couple of mistakes in my above post.
Would you mind telling me which word can I use instead of 'destroyed'?