I'm not good at spoken English.

David Bosch   Friday, May 16, 2003, 21:55 GMT
No, no, no, it's all right, you didn't sound rude at all, I agree that I was wrong.
If you need help with German, of course you can ask me, I would be very pleased to help, though I'm begining to forget mi mother tongue, lol.
Clark   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 00:25 GMT
David what is your native German dialect? Or do you just speak Hochdeutsch?
David Bosch   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 00:31 GMT
Ich bin aus Bonn
Clark   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 00:36 GMT
So, du kannscht nicht en Dialekt sprechen?
KT   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 02:55 GMT
wow, I didn't know there are different dialects of German. How do they differ from each other? Can people understand each other speaking different dialects of German? In Chinese people speaking diffferent dialect scan't understand each other.
KT   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 03:17 GMT
I didn't know there were differant dialects of German. I am so stupid. What does scant mean? Disregard what I write I am so stupid.
David Bosch   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 04:16 GMT
An example of that would be the pronunciation of Ich, it's ij in the south, ik in Northwest, and moreover.
David Bosch   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 04:18 GMT
sorry, Northeast,
Clark   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 05:01 GMT
Yes, there are lots of German dialects, and for the most part, Germans can understand each others' dialects; but it is not easy. One classifies German into three sections; Low German (spoken in the North), Middle German (spoken in the middle of the country) and High German (spoken in the South). And then the Swiss and Austrian dialects are like High German dialects.

Pennsylvania German, the dialect in which I am most familiar with, is an off-shoot of a Rheinisch (Middle German) dialect which is spoken in Pfalz (Paelzland in Pennsylvania German).
KT   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 07:20 GMT
Thanks David Bosch and Clark. Are there any differences between the German spoken in the East and the West?
David Bosch   Sunday, May 18, 2003, 20:27 GMT
What happened with Boy?

He is th one who opened this topic and now he has dissapeared.
KT   Monday, May 19, 2003, 02:23 GMT
He has been on your thread: English Learners: come and clarify your doubts.
Boy   Monday, May 19, 2003, 07:33 GMT
There had been a few posts off the topic. They were about German dialects. So I thought you guys were no longer interested in chiping your valuable experience or tips. I thought my starting topic had been obsolete. That's why I didn't write anything there though I'd read all of your posts.
Boy   Monday, May 19, 2003, 08:08 GMT
Today, I want to share you my down moments of life which occured due to my poor communication skills in English. I didn't get admission where I wanted to get, I was failed to clear my interview when I had for a university. There was a system of overall counting percentage including 20% face to face giving answers and questions from respective interview conductors. They started asking questions in the English and it was a staggering experience for me becuase I never ever came it across before.
First time, I had a chance to talk with someone who used to speak English fluently by definition. You see my words didn't come the way I wanted, I was numb at that time. I flunked the whole interview then. I missed the boat for my better future. Now, you can apprehend how important to learn the language. This was the first motivation for me to think about learning the language and buying grammar books or finding out better ways.

Moreover, I had another job interview as an accountant for a hospital. Again, I flunked the whole interview due to my poor communicating skills.
I wanted to get that job because for my daily expenses. I virtually ended up this episode as usual as I did in the past.

There had been a couple of more cases same as above. For that moment, I've been so scared of speaking anything in the English language.

My spirits for learning the language has now been so low. For a moment, I think I can't learn, I've to stop it. I'm a loser. I've lost the battle. I don't see any progress.

I thought million times why I was learning the language If I couldn't clear my interviews. My confidence is tarnished now.

I don't know how much hardwork and time I need to put in.

Boy   Monday, May 19, 2003, 08:12 GMT
Apart from my above post, I have to post a question for you right here.
How do you notice difficult words while watching a movie? How are you fully sure to write the spelling of words correctly?