Slavonic Language Groups

Ed   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 01:25 GMT
Oops! I'm sorry, the above message is mine!
michael   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 03:17 GMT
i don't know about any of you, but i hate russian cursive writing. i can't understand what the hell any of it says because every letter looks like a "u" or an "n". i can barely even understand english cursive writing let alone russian! at least in english the letters are quite disimilar...disimilar enough to distinguish slightly. and i'm a native russian speaker so it's easier for me since i can sound out the words until it begins to sound like something meaningful. i can't imagine what it must be like for american
Damian   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 07:18 GMT
I love this thread...it's so interesting and informative. Thanks, everyone.
Ed   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 16:51 GMT
You're welcome, Damian, soon you'll be getting the bill :-P

michael:

I don't understand what you mean? You don't understand Russian handwriting?
michael   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 19:31 GMT
yes, russian handwriting is very difficult for me to read unless the writer has very good handwriting, but i suppose that most russians do have good handwriting, or at least most of the russians that i've known.

my own handwriting is horrendous, however, and since i've lived in US most of my life, i haven't had to write in russian very often. I remember being taught english cursive early in school, but I stopped using cursive by high school because i couldn't even read what I myself had written!

well, perhaps you all could give a show of responses to this string of questions: for those of you that read cyrillic, is it more difficult for you to read russian cursive or english cursive? and do any of you find it difficult to read cursive handwriting in general?

i then wonder: do most other european languages use cursive for correspondences...like french and german for example? or has cursive handwriting also died out over the years (with the advent of e-mail and instant messaging) for these languages as it has for english (or at least, american english)?
damian   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 20:10 GMT
<<american english)?>>

i am afflicted by lower case phobia....i know it's my problem...i think i will seek treatment or drown myself ;-(

No...d****t.....it's NOT my problem...it's an American one!
Ed   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 20:29 GMT
michael, do you live in NYC?

I can easily read Cyrillic handwriting as well as Roman. But you're right in the US people don't write in cursive.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 20:33 GMT
There's a common style of Russian italic script which is very beautiful and easy to read; it's often seen in Russian magazines.

I've had occasion to read other Russians' handwriting and legibility definitely depends on the individual -- I don't think there's anything inherent about the handwritten script that makes it less readable than Roman script.
Ed   Saturday, August 07, 2004, 00:28 GMT
Dulcinea

Is there a language you don't speak? :-)
Sanja   Sunday, August 08, 2004, 15:21 GMT
Just one correction, Hungarian is NOT a Slavic language.
Easterner   Sunday, August 08, 2004, 18:32 GMT
Sanja, you are right about Hungarian completely. By the way, your name suggests that you are from former Yugoslavia. Am I right? I was also born and grew up in Subotica, though now I live in Hungary.
Sanja   Sunday, August 08, 2004, 18:52 GMT
I think Cyrillic was derived from Greek.
Sanja   Sunday, August 08, 2004, 18:56 GMT
Yes, Easterner, I'm from ex-Yugoslavia, more precisely Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Ed   Monday, August 09, 2004, 03:19 GMT
Sanja

Indira Radic is from Bosnia i think lol
Jordi   Monday, August 09, 2004, 07:19 GMT
Dear Easterner,
I visited Subotica (prounounced Subotitsa) several times back in 1992 and 1993. A beautiful city, near the Hungarian border, with many Art Nouveau buildings. It was a sad time and I made a few friends there. Most of the people there spoke Hungarian although I was interpreting from Catalan and Spanish into English. I visited the local schools, chruches and hospital. I hope that city, and the whole country, will have recovered itself. I also visited parts of Hungary and, specially, Budapest. I was also in other parts of the Balcans. You've brought back memories.