For the love of Kernow

Benjamin   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 pm GMT
>> England isn't European. <<

What is it then? African? Asian?
Benjamin   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
And I'm very confused by the slavery comment... it's not as though we (the English/British) aren't guilty of that as well.
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
"England isn't European."
Look at your map. You will find that you're wrong.

"Europe stands for tyranny, oppression and slavery."
Which century?

England stands for freedom, democracy, Magna Carta and English law."
Now you're just taking the piss. Theres about as much freedom in Afghanistan.
Travis   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
>>"England isn't European."
Look at your map. You will find that you're wrong. <<

Yes, but for some reason some English people like to think of themselves as if they weren't, and were rather part of some kind of separate "Anglosphere", despite that at least here in the US, England is just as (and no more) foreign as practically any other western or northern European country, shared language and shared literature aside.
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:54 pm GMT
The CNLA has started negotiating with Londn and a ceasefire has been called. We hope the long and bloody war will finally be over.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
>> Yes, but for some reason some English people like to think of themselves as if they weren't, and were rather part of some kind of separate "Anglosphere", despite that at least here in the US, England is just as (and no more) foreign as practically any other western or northern European country, shared language and shared literature aside. <<

I know — I can't understand it and it really annoys me. Personally, I consider myself to be European first and English/British second.
Candy   Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:41 pm GMT
<<I know — I can't understand it and it really annoys me. Personally, I consider myself to be European first and English/British second.>>

Why does it really annoy you? What does it matter what such people think? Do you think that everyone should feel exactly the same way as you?

<<at least here in the US, England is just as (and no more) foreign as practically any other western or northern European country, shared language and shared literature aside. >>

Are you speaking for 280 million Americans there, Travis?
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 pm GMT
The CNLA has ended its ceasefire and another bloody campaignhas begun which it says will be confined to enemy territory.
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
The CNLA has begunu to decommission its weapons but ultra right wing individuals in cornwall who wish Cornwall to remain in the union are saying they disbelieve the CNLA. Two druids witnessed the destruction of all the weapons which included some 250 tanks, an aircraft carrier and some ICBM's. Oh crap.... I think SO13 and MI5 are kicking my door in. Got to go. I will return.
CNLA   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
The Cornish are still an ethnic group. We may now be a minority in our own country. The english policy of conquest might succeed after 1500 years. Still there are laws which should be applied to Cornwall and the Cornish. Massive immigration is the consequence of occupation. The Cornish have a case with the International Criminal Court which defines genocide as the replacement of the indigenous occupied people by the occupying power.

This is what happens all over the world. if native americans can have laws especially for them then we have them too, in the form of our parliament which can veto laws of Westminster. This is confirmed in UK law so don't bother arguing against it. Lastly if many Cornish South Africans want to escape the chaos of that country they can come and live in Cornwall at the expense of the non-cornish invaders.

http://www.kernowtgg.co.uk/index.html

http://www.eurominority.org/version/eng/maps-states2.asp?id_pays=45
JJM   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:28 pm GMT
Is this thread still crawling along?

Aren't there enough real problems to deal with without worrying about made up ones?
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
***Theres about as much freedom in Afghanistan***

Sure......it's really hard to tell the difference between England (meaning the UK generallay I suppose....) and Afghanistan......British women are actually beginning to moan about having to wear the burka 24/7, and having hands chopped off isn't so much fun any more....we don't know where to put all these unwanted gloves.

As for England (!) being considered just as any other Western European country as any other European country, or any other country outside America.......that's a silly thing to say. Of course it's a foreign country as far as America is concerned.......totally and completely! Just as foreign as is the Congo Republic.

Conversely, the United States is every bit as foreign to us as is the Congo Republic .....or Uzbekhistan, irrespecive of the common Language issue. Try and convince some of the American tourists I've seen over here that that's the case. "But we're Americans!" I heard one guy yell at the officials at the airport here when told he and his companions had to join the queues at the Non UK/Non EU gates, which meant having to be checked out more closely...alongside any people who may have flown in from the Congo Republic ......or Uzbekhistan...... Obviously offended by not being allowed to sail through much more easily like UK and EU passport holders entering the UK even though he was in a country where everybody spoke HIS Language.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 pm GMT
That was not Guest...it was moi. soz...forgot.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
>> Why does it really annoy you? What does it matter what such people think? Do you think that everyone should feel exactly the same way as you? <<

It annoys me because I see it as a form of chauvinism. I see it as though they're saying, 'we English/British people are not Europeans because we think we think we're better than everyone on the mainland and we group everyone on the mainland together because we think that they all have far more in common with each-other than any of them do with us!'

Which is, at least in my opinion, total nonsense.
Travis   Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
>><<at least here in the US, England is just as (and no more) foreign as practically any other western or northern European country, shared language and shared literature aside. >>

Are you speaking for 280 million Americans there, Travis?<<

I'm speaking for myself, and what I have observed of other people, here in the Upper Midwest; hence "here in the US", not "in the US". I would not be surprised if many New Englanders or Southerners had somewhat different views with respect to England, and the UK in general, due to said areas having closer cultural ties with such than the Upper Midwest. At least here, the underlying cultural ties outside of language, literature, political traditions, and their like are little more than with anywhere else in northern Europe, unlike the Northeast and the South.