Favorite Aspects of Italian

Johnny   Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:20 pm GMT
I have been reading this thread, and I think it's time to say there's so much bullshit here that... I am speechless.
Correct Italian? Standard Italian? Correct Italian based on open and closed vowels? That's science fiction.
There are too many regional variations, it's impossible to say there's a correct way to speak. Actors and people on TV just speak Italian with their own accent, which is perfectly understandable by every Italian, and they don't change their own accent just because they should speak some kind of "correct Italian" (which doesn't exist). Even newscasters and correspondents on the news all have their regional accents, so I wonder where this shit about the need to speak a certain "correct" variety of Italian comes from. Not to mention comedians, actors, singers, etc., who all have their own accents and ways of speaking.
Everything different from the way you speak sounds funny, but that doesn't mean your variety is the correct one, or that there is a correct one.

Oh, I was forgetting the best joke:

<<la differenza di pronuncia tra pesca (frutto) e pesca (sport) è insegnata in qualsiasi scuola. >>

Never heard of such difference. Never heard of anyone I know who knows there's a difference or any school where that was ever mentioned.

I am not going to tell you where I am from, and I am probably not going to reply here anymore, but I can only tell everyone who is interested in the Italian language: watch out, don't listen to pedants and stupid books written by pedants, because the reality is different, and you'll face it if you travel to Italy or even move there.
la verdad absoluta hehehe   Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm GMT
i love you johnny!

you're the best! :)

and you're my nick at the moment
kaka   Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 pm GMT
Never heard of such difference. Never heard of anyone I know who knows there's a difference or any school where that was ever mentioned.

It's very sad, particularly if you are an Italian, you can speak and write in English but you don't even know basic Italian pronuncitiation rules. what about buying an Italian good dictionary and try to learn the correct pronunciation of its words. I suppose you did the same with English or any other language you learnt.
Kendra   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 am GMT
''Actors and people on TV just speak Italian with their own accent''

This is not true. RAI requires all actors to speak standard Italian (based on Tuscan-Roman model but not identical with Tuscan/Roman basilect), be they from Milan or Venice, they need to pass a córso di dizione (córso = course, còrso = corsican), and this includes to learn how to pronounce e's and o's properly. It's not a difficult thing to master if you're persueing this career, it's essential. For example, Mimosa Campironi [L'incantesimo] is from Lombardy (Pavia), but after the phonetic course, her accent is perfect, 100% standard, with all e's and o's the way it should be, CentralItalian-way and not Galoromanic (Northern) way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7E77zNL33w

In Incantesimo, as in all RAI productions, the standard language is used (with Tuscan/Roman e's and o's). When you learn English, you're after standard pronunciation, not some heavy-accented Northern varieties. The
same thing should be in the case of Italian: aim for Central Italian, between
La Spezia-Rimini and Rome-Ancona lines. It's where the pure/original Italian is spoken.
szoba   Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 pm GMT
<<la differenza di pronuncia tra pesca (frutto) e pesca (sport) è insegnata in qualsiasi scuola. >>

"Never heard of such difference. Never heard of anyone I know who knows there's a difference or any school where that was ever mentioned"

This distinction is really natural for me. I've been using it from my birthday. In all Italy's central regions the difference between pèsca and pésca is basic and essential, no pronunciation course is required :-)
Japanese in Florence   Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm GMT
Non sono un lui. Sono una lei.
Alessandro   Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 pm GMT
Brava nippa.

Se riesci ad imparare questa: www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_HaO5rRWPE, ti consegniamo "i ciau de la cità de Milàn".

Qualcuno vuole aprire un dibattito su "consegniamo/consegnamo"?
Alessandro   Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm GMT
sanskrit   Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 pm GMT
c'è poco da dibattere, la desinenza della prima persona plurale dell'indicativo presente è -iamo, per cui la forma corretta è consegniamo, con la i!
okos   Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Correct Italian? Standard Italian? Correct Italian based on open and closed vowels? That's science fiction.

Cazzate! Stiamo parlando di fonetica non d'investimenti finanziari. Forse hai sbagliato forum... che poi si possa avere un atteggiamento più purista ed un altro più innovatore è un altro discorso, ma ogni lingua ha una variante "standard", che si basa naturalmente sull'uso ma anche sulla tradizione culturale e linguistica.
szep   Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
My favourite aspects of Italian are:

1)Elision and apocopation : vuol, ben, miglior, dottor, qual/ quell', dall', d'altronde

2) Contracted prepositions: dal, dai, col, sullo, nel, dello and so on

3) Double consonants: sciocco, fannullone, azzanneremmo, apparecchiammo
nek   Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
3) Double consonants: sciocco, fannullone, azzanneremmo, apparecchiammo

this is so awful! i hate it in italian.

the contracted prepostitions: wow, thank god you're the only one. besides, col (who uses that any longer?) hahahaha
skippa   Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
col

It's used everyday both in spoken and written language, as a matter of fact you never read Italian books or newspapers.
By the way are you learning Italian in a handbook for tourists? In those texts the grammar is generally simplified.....
womp   Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 pm GMT
Why is Italian not called Modern Latin? It is the succesor language of Old Latin so why not? Just like we have Modern English and Old English.
Alessandro   Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
It is successor language of Vulgar Latin, not of Classical Latin.