Italian & Portugese Lexical Similarities

Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:47 pm GMT
Why is it that Portuguese did not borrow those words from Spanish counterparts?
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
Camoens wrote some of his works in Spanish.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
He just translated them.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
No because ryhme would be lost in translation.
...J. Silva...   Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 pm GMT
Portuguese borrowed many words from Spanish. But guess what, the Spanish language borrowed words from Portuguese as well, but most people don't know that. In Portuguese language you find extensive Arabic words (Spanish too). The so called words you think that the Portuguese and Spanish languages abosrbed from Italian, are actually 'Latin' origin words, which inidentally, all the other Romance languages inherited from too. So Italian is not special in this respect. The romance languages inherited most of their vocabulary from 'Latin', not Italian. However, even as all the Romance languages have evolved, the two that remain the closest in most respects, to this day, are the major Iberian languages - Spanish and Portuguese. That's all there is to it.

What is correct is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:50 pm GMT
Portuguese words of Italian origin passed through Spanish to Portuguese because all those words of Portuguese origin are present in Spanish too.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
How can you determine what words are borrowed, in languages that already have more than 90% lexical similarity (spanish and portuguese)?? Where exactly does portuguese start and spanish end??
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
Spanish and Portuguese are not more different than some dialects of German.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
<<Spanish and Portuguese are not more different than some dialects of German.>>

Agreed.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 am GMT
Yhe difference between Spanish and Portuguese are greater than the difference between German dialects.
hermano iberico   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
The Portuguese and Spanish languages are still so damn close when you consider that Portugal has been an independent nation for over eight-hundred years! Remarkable in fact.
Fratello Latino   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:16 am GMT
The Portuguese did all they colud to make their language distinct form Spanish by adopting the French phonology and absorbing many words from Italian.
M*I*G*U*E*L*I*T*O   Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:05 pm GMT
Evidently did they didn't do enough Fratello. Anyway, it is what it is: Portuguese and Spanish are still the two closest (major) Romance languages today. It seems that they are destined to be joined at the hip forever more.
Guest   Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm GMT
The Portuguese did all they colud to make their language distinct form Spanish by adopting the French phonology and absorbing many words from Italian

Words of Italian origin in Portuguese were taken from Spanish since Portugal had no cultural and political exchanges with Italy like Spain had. For example Southern Italy belonged to Spain for a few centuries and also some enclaves like Milan. This lead to many cultural exchanges and since Portugal is close to Spain eventually Portuguese also took many Italian words but because of the interaction between Portuguese and Spanish, not Portuguese and Italian directly. As for French phonology in Portuguese, that is absurd, Portuguese and French have a Celtic substratum, that is the reason why they share some coincidences in phonology.
Paulo   Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
I am a Brasilian and speak Brasilian Portuguese and quite a bit of Spanish, and can read little Italian. But to me French sounds nothing like I can understand, even if the written words have some lexical similarities. I can understand Spanish except some Chilenhos and I can make a few words in Italian but if you speak french to me it sounds like people from portugal speaking baby talk I dont understand a bit of it.